VideoDB question and Kodi crashing on start up
Hi, got a couple of questions.

1- First, a quick one about databases. I got a backup of the whole .kodi folder, I can restore it anytime, and if I do, can I restore the whole backup but keep the 2 databases, video (MyVideos116.db) and music (MyVideos116.db), from a different backup or from the live installation? Or are they dependant on other elements (like textures13db is dependant on thumbs folder)? I understant that video DB got the links to the pictures (posters, fanart, thumbs) inside, so if I use a new version of DB than the installation, it just wont find Kodi's thumbs in textures13.db and will create then again, is that right? Of course, I'm talking about interchange the database file in an environment where all paths (to media and whatever) are the same no matter which backup file I restore.

2- The second thing, my Kodi crashes when it got no Internet access. It starts up right without access to the SMB share (PC off), but if router is down and there is no Internet access, I will start and crash a second after it has loaded after init screen.

This is the log: https://paste.kodi.tv/udokusupoh.kodi

How can I make it start up fine without Internet?

I'm on Android TV with Kodi 18.6 and Aeon Tajo skin.

Thanks Smile
(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: Can I restore the whole backup but keep the 2 databases, video (MyVideos116.db) and music (MyVideos116.db), from a different backup or from the live installation?
You can restore anything you like, but the video and the music databases basically work independent from the rest of the other settings and add-ons.
Textures13.db is the local database where existing fanart URLs for their thumbnail images are checked.
If you want to backup and/or restore your databases, keep the Databases and Thumbnails folders together.

(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: I understant that video DB got the links to the pictures (posters, fanart, thumbs) inside, so if I use a new version of DB than the installation, it just wont find Kodi's thumbs in textures13.db and will create then again, is that right?
The thumbnails and their folder/filenames are based on their full name, so in an ideal world, a new database shouldn't matter as long as all the full filenames of the videos (including their network path) would remain the same.

(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: I'm talking about interchange the database file in an environment where all paths (to media and whatever) are the same no matter which backup file I restore.
If you have multiple Kodi devices in your network, perhaps it's time to use a MySQL/MariaDB SQL database server. It will process all metadata of videos and music in a centralized manner.

(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: The second thing, my Kodi crashes when it got no Internet access. It starts up right without access to the SMB share (PC off), but if router is down and there is no Internet access, I will start and crash a second after it has loaded after init screen.
No internet is not the same as no network connection when the router is down... Without the router Kodi may wait for an inaccessiable server or internet address, that timeout is at least some 30 seconds, but could also be 90 seconds.

(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: How can I make it start up fine without Internet?
A working router that enables the local network should have Kodi start up fine.

2020-04-21 19:09:59.201 T:6349 INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://USERNAMETongueASSWORD@TassPC/Thumbnails%20Kodi%20(NO%20TOCAR)/e/e2e1d9d1.jpg'
unix_err:'16' error : 'Invalid argument'
2020-04-21 19:09:59.201 T:6349 ERROR: DoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/e/e2e1d9d1.jpg
2020-04-21 19:09:59.203 T:6349 INFO: easy_acquire - Created session to http://image.tmdb.org
2020-04-21 19:09:59.245 T:6349 ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: Couldn't resolve host name(6) for http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/5Iw7z...ypOPZh.jpg

LibreELEC can have the problem that it starts so fast, the underlying OS hasn't started a network connection yet.
Perhaps the same thing is happening when you start your Xiaomi MIBOX4. If that is so, that you'll need to find a way to slow down the booting process of Android.
(2020-04-21, 20:11)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-04-21, 19:31)TassMetal Wrote: Can I restore the whole backup but keep the 2 databases, video (MyVideos116.db) and music (MyVideos116.db), from a different backup or from the live installation?
You can restore anything you like, but the video and the music databases basically work independent from the rest of the other settings and add-ons.
Textures13.db is the local database where existing fanart URLs for their thumbnail images are checked.
If you want to backup and/or restore your databases, keep the Databases and Thumbnails folders together.   

Thanks for superfast reply Klojum.

Not sure if I understood you well, I understood that video and music .db files are dependant to the other .db files, so I can't use an older textures13.db and thumbs folder (and basically everything else from the older backup), with a newer myvideos116.db. Is that right, or I can use the latest myvideos116.db with an older thumbs db and folder (and all the rest)? I understand and don't mind that the thumbs of the new media (the one between the two versions) have to be generated again if that's the only con. What I don't want are orfans items in the video database and things not working Smile
Quote:If you have multiple Kodi devices in your network, perhaps it's time to use a MySQL/MariaDB SQL database server. It will process all metadata of videos and music in a centralized manner.

I'm not using multiple Kodi, this is just to know if I can perform a backup of an older installation, and keep the db video/music file with the bookmarks, view states and new media added, even if the thumbs  will be obviously generated again as the older textures13.db doesn't have them.

Quote:A working router that enables the local network should have Kodi start up fine.

2020-04-21 19:09:59.201 T:6349 INFO: SMBFile->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://USERNAMEASSWORD@TassPC/Thumbnails%20Kodi%20(NO%20TOCAR)/e/e2e1d9d1.jpg'
unix_err:'16' error : 'Invalid argument'
2020-04-21 19:09:59.201 T:6349 ERROR: DoWork - Direct texture file loading failed for special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/e/e2e1d9d1.jpg
2020-04-21 19:09:59.203 T:6349 INFO: easy_acquire - Created session to http://image.tmdb.org
2020-04-21 19:09:59.245 T:6349 ERROR: CCurlFile::Stat - Failed: Couldn't resolve host name(6) for http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/5Iw7z...ypOPZh.jpg

LibreELEC can have the problem that it starts so fast, the underlying OS hasn't started a network connection yet.
Perhaps the same thing is happening when you start your Xiaomi MIBOX4. If that is so, that you'll need to find a way to slow down the booting process of Android.

Sorry but I got lost here, the Android device had been started for long, the not accessing errors in the quote are due to the network down. Maybe I didn't explain me well, I know why the router is down, I powered it off to reproduce the crash that happens if I start Kodi during a router reboot.

Kodi should wait 30 to 90 seconds for a working network, but if it doesn't find it, shouldn't it start anyway? I mean, not crash to desktop.

But to the point, Kodi needs a working network connection (no matter if is just LAN not WAN) to start up properly, is that right?

Thanks again Klojum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VideoDB question and Kodi crashing on start up0