Linux 2020 - ODROID C4 - S905X3 Board
Did anyone test de-interlacing on 905x3? I'm currently using rpi3 for watching live tv and very happy with it but want to switch to 4k tv's and wondering if 905x3 with CE will be good for this purpose.
(2020-04-27, 08:02)sh33p Wrote: Did anyone test de-interlacing on 905x3? I'm currently using rpi3 for watching live tv and very happy with it but want to switch to 4k tv's and wondering if 905x3 with CE will be good for this purpose.

All the AMLogic S8xx and S9xx chipset series running linux based LibreELEC and CoreELEC Kodi are good for high quality full motion deinterlacing.

The latter chipsets, the A311D, S922X, S905X2 / X3 have slightly better quality deinterlacing vs the older ones.

You will have no issues with deinterlacing using CE Kodi. Smile

(2020-04-26, 04:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-25, 08:27)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-25, 03:52)PANiCnz Wrote: The S922X in the N2 is a faster SoC, no performance gains to be had by "upgrading" to the C4. 

Yep - the C4's advantage is that it's £20/unit cheaper I guess?  (Hopefully it will have a better reliability record than the N2) 

I doubt the N2’s reliability was better or worse vs any other mainstream Kodi hardware.
But boy did we sure hear about it from vocal users ! Wink 

Wasn't the issue with the N2 an S922X Rev A vs Rev B issue?  Weren't the Rev A chips suffering from a much higher than expected failure rate?
(2020-04-25, 00:37)hdmkv Wrote: Would S905X3-based be any better than the current S922X-based N2? Isn't latter a better performer?

from datasheet has less functions

Amlogic S905X3 8th Generation Advanced Amlogic TruLife Image Engine
Quote: 
  1. Supports Dolby Vision (optional), HDR10+, HDR10, HLD and Technicolor HDR processing
  2. Motion compensated noise reduction, and 3D digital noise reduction for random noise
  3. Block noise, mosquito noise, spatial noise, contour noise reduction
  4. Motion compensated and motion adaptive de-interlacer
  5. Edge interpolation with low angle protection and processing
  6. Smart sharpness with Superscalar technology including de-contouring, de-ring, LTI, CTI, de-jaggy, peaking
  7. Dynamic non-linear contrast enhancement
  8. All dimension multiple regions smart color management including blue/green extension, flesh-tone correction, wider gamut for video
  9. 2 video planes and 3 graphics planes hardware composer
  10. Independent HDR re-mapping of video and graphic layer

Amlogic S922X 9th Generation Advanced Amlogic TruLife Image Engine
Quote: 
  1. Supports Dolby Vision (Optional), HDR10, HDR10+, HLG and PRIME HDR processing
  2. Motion compensated noise reduction and 3D digital noise reduction for random noise
  3. Block noise, mosquito noise, spatial noise, contour noise reduction
  4. Motion compensated and motion adaptive de-interlacer
  5. Edge interpolation with low angle protection and processing
  6. 3:2/2:2 pulldown and Video on Film (VOF) detection and processing
  7. Smart sharpness with SuperScaler technology including de- contouring, de-ring, LTI, CTI, de-jaggy, peaking
  8. Dynamic non-Linear contrast enhancement
  9. 3D LUTs with 17x17x17 nodes, provide 4913 different control points which is competent for matching calibrated displays to a target colorspace
  10. High precision HSL color space-based color management with low saturation protection, independent luma/hue/saturation adjustment to achieve blue/green extension, fresh tone correction, and wider gamut for video
  11. 2 video planes and 3 graphics planes
  12. Independent HDR re-mapping of video and graphic layer

LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-04-27, 14:06)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-26, 04:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-25, 08:27)noggin Wrote: Yep - the C4's advantage is that it's £20/unit cheaper I guess?  (Hopefully it will have a better reliability record than the N2) 

I doubt the N2’s reliability was better or worse vs any other mainstream Kodi hardware.
But boy did we sure hear about it from vocal users ! Wink 

Wasn't the issue with the N2 an S922X Rev A vs Rev B issue?  Weren't the Rev A chips suffering from a much higher than expected failure rate?

Unless something has very recently changed, all ODROID N2's are Rev A.

Rev B. AMLogic S922X chipsets were stupidly advertised by Chinese sourced vendors for a while with CPU's clocked at 2.2GHz vs 1.8GHz for the Rev. A's.
I think there were minor changes in Rev B. like 8K VP9p2 hardware decoding added. However the Rev B's had stability issues at those higher clock rate.

There were some Ugoos AM6 and Beelink GT-King S922X hardware releases with those Rev. B's for a brief while but I believe Rev A's are all that is shipping now.
EDIT: There is a S922XJ Ugoos AM6 Plus advertised as clocked @ 2.2GHz with DolbyVision and Audio licensing.

The AMLogic A311D, used in the Khadas VIM3 (click) is clocked at 2.2GHz (A311D = higher spec S922X + Neural Processor)

(2020-04-29, 15:05)wrxtasy Wrote: However the Rev B's had stability issues at those higher clock rate.

Never heard of this before but there is an incoming new Rev. C.
Pulled the trigger on a C4. Don't really need it but been wanting something to play with.
Figured there would be more interest in this board. At least for Kodi it seems to check all the boxes. (maybe besides 1080p netflix but saw a user yesterday that said it worked fine for him).

After having an N2 these things are just way to stable. I love my Shield Pro, but CE is way better on these little boxes. Got one showing up Friday.
I see this thread is dead a bit Smile
I'm searching for a replacement for Minix U1.
Would C4 be a good one?
I use Corelec, no Andorid.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2020 - ODROID C4 - S905X3 Board0