Xbmc will not find workgroup
I have had problems in the past with the xbox not being able to find my Workgroup but this time I think I have tried everything with no luck. My firewall is off I have restarted the router, xbox, and pc. My OS is windows xp pro, my roommates pc's work but ask for passwords. There has to be something I am missing this time.
know problem with current build.

if you are trying to add a source, just type the ip address and share folder to connect to a networked computer/HDD, instead of tring to browse workgroup,

this is currently the only way to setup networked sources
O wow good to know, I am a little confused on how to setup the share manually. I know how to add them but I can't seem to get the config string to point in the right place. My shares aren't on my main drive and I don't have room to put them there.

something like
smb://redhorse:p***[email protected]/Downloads

The Downloads folder is on the H drive so H:\Downloads.
instead of entering all that, click the browse button from the same screen and then sellect add new network location. then select smb protocal (if not already selected) and in the first box put the ip then in second box put share folder, then put user /pass in appropriate boxes then your done it should then become available to add as a source like locall hardrives.
When I try it says "invalid computer name" but both of my other roommates pc's show up in but not mine. I can ftp to the xbox fine from my pc so I don't understand why it won't work.
is this for windows or xbox version of xbmc because you have started this thread in the windows section of the forum and from what you are saying it sounds like you are having these problems with your xbox?

if so retract my first post. there is no bug with the xbox version, i thought you were on about the windows build

gona need more info to help

i take it that in xbmc network settings you have entered your workgroup name if it is different to the default WORKGROUP?

also have you enabled sharing on your pcs specific folders you wish to share? and set up your pc to be on the specific workgroup.

simply putting in the workgroup name in your pc settings sometimes dosent work, you need to select the wizard option to join a network. on vista its titled NETWORK ID in the computer name tab
OK I have xp pro and I have the folders I want shared. I have tried the network setup wizard in control panel options a few times and it still won't show up in XBMC for some reason. I have gone into system and just changed the workgroup name as well. I even have my pc set to a static IP now. It's so strange it was working fine before and now this.
not sure whats going on really, maybe you should ask this again in the XBOX section of this forum where someone who has had the same problem may notice it and be able to help you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc will not find workgroup0