• 1(current)
xbmc01's "Aeon Lite" - optimised for Xbox
Wanted to make Aeon much more efficient for my xbox... modified textures.xpr and have had great results... wanted to share with all others whom use xbox Wink

Details:
------------
a) the default image (the grass bg) was at 1280 wide... given that the it was suggested that all backdrops on xbox were to be resized to 960... i thought this would be the first thing i changed.... made it 200px wide .. all black (no noticeable quality loss on my 52inch lcd ) ...

b) the navigation elements resized removed texture and smoothed out ... this has helped out alot as well

c) showcase view elements, the gradients and poster art borders were optimized and resized

d) Most of the textures where greater than 1000px .. re sized most of them to 800px or lower

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?buqgunvntfe
(Share your feedback here)
any screenshots to compare with?
R111 Wrote:any screenshots to compare with?
there's pretty much no noticeable difference... just runs smoother on xbox Smile
Even if there were screenshots, I doubt resizing/compressing them for web display would favour a comparison. I find it hard to believe, to be honest, that significant optimisations would be invisible at 720p, but then I am cursed with eyes that can spot an errant pixel at a hundred yards. I haven't tested this myself, but if the feedback here is positive I'll be adding this to the Aeon site's mods page.
Good update.A lot smother in movement and better working backdrop configuration.Still having issues with folder back rounds not showing up in browse.Or is it just me?
Rookie Wrote:Good update.A lot smother in movement and better working backdrop configuration.Still having issues with folder back rounds not showing up in browse.Or is it just me?

Testing this now. So far it seems to leave between 2000-3000kb more memory free on average.

Was only very occasionally getting a stall or a video wouldn't play with Alpha14. So far neither with this mod, so I'll continue testing.

Cheers.
Duncan, maybe you could incorporate these ideas into Aeon when you select "force xbox" mode?
neal73 Wrote:Duncan, maybe you could incorporate these ideas into Aeon when you select "force xbox" mode?

That would be great!
I'll need to make sure it can be done without harm to the default 1080p mode first. Some more feedback on visual and performance impact would also help...
djh_ Wrote:I'll need to make sure it can be done without harm to the default 1080p mode first. Some more feedback on visual and performance impact would also help...
why not release 2 versions of the skin ... xbox version and 1080p version?
Thumbs Down 
the idea of this xpr is to reduce texture quality right.

i use this skin on xbox even with 1280x720 res backgrounds and never suffer and memory issues so creating a xbox only version based on this xpr would effectivly lower my picture quality for no reason so djh i sujest this be an optional mod only and not default for xbox uses.

dont get me wrong. for all people suffering problems this xpr is a great idea, but its clearly not needed for everyone.

PS - could it be xbox versions that create these mem problems. I have a 1.1 version xbox.
Yes, could always do that. I was just referring to the previous request to merge it into the skin proper.
rudeboyx Wrote:the idea of this xpr is to reduce texture quality right.

i use this skin on xbox even with 1280x720 res backgrounds and never suffer and memory issues so creating a xbox only version based on this xpr would effectivly lower my picture quality for no reason so djh i sujest this be an optional mod only and not default for xbox uses.

dont get me wrong. for all people suffering problems this xpr is a great idea, but its clearly not needed for everyone.

PS - could it be xbox versions that create these mem problems. I have a 1.1 version xbox.

No, there is no visible loss in quality... This is about efficiency for the xbox... yes, aeon 14 still works on the xbox... but i made these changes to optimize performance.

for example the grass BG ... it was set to 1280wide... i noticed during startup that 'the grass' was still visible in the background during transitions of my selected backgrounds... during the fading transitions i still was able to catch a glimpse of the 'grass bg'

i thought that it would without a doubt help performance and aesthetics to switch out that image with a smaller res version... after that i changed other images and all new textures are in PNG format (lossless data compression) I'm using a 52 inch sharp aquos running the skin at 720p and have not noticed compression artifacts

sure maybe xbox never will run in tip top form with aeon... but these small changes undoubtedly increase performance
I use a 1.6 xbox.But the issue isn't the pictures not showing in the back round it is in the browse for setting"the folder back round",in skin settings.When I go to skin settings and browse for a picture to set as "folder back round image"Their is nothing.Is this suppose to be smaller size or in a diff format?

Also,TV shows is the only actual back round image that isn't working for me after I choose the Image.Sorry about the mix up.(hence the name Rookie)Nod
There won't be an image when browsing for a backdrops folder. The clue's in the name: folder. You need to browse to where your backdrops are and click OK, then it'll pull whatever images are in there. If you specifically want to assign a single image, select the non-folder option.

And let's keep this limited to feedback for this particular Aeon mod, please. There's already a thread for support.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc01's "Aeon Lite" - optimised for Xbox0