HEVC issue?
Hello! I have a Lenovo M73 tiny which is great for HTPC (i5 4th gen-4GB ddr3-120GB intel SSD) but lately the cpu fan started to work a little more and the system becomes a little louder than usual. Could this be due to decoding more frequently HEVC nowadays? Do you think my CPU should struggle for this? I recently cleaned the PC and replaced the thermal paste but with no luck at all. Any ideas?
(2020-04-26, 17:49)10hnny4ark0 Wrote: Core i5 4th gen

That's a Haswell..? I don't think it has GPU acceleration for h.265/hevc videos. The loud fan should be indicative of a CPU that needs to work hard to decode the video format. Something a proper GPU would easily do instead.
I checked and Intel states that it has GPU acceleration, but I'll try to avoid HEVC anyway. Thanks
Haswell does not support GPU accelerated HEVC decoding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quic...d_encoding
Thanks. I searched and I think I'll try the i3-6100T. Any info on this cpu regarding HEVC?
(2020-05-01, 20:37)10hnny4ark0 Wrote: Thanks. I searched and I think I'll try the i3-6100T. Any info on this cpu regarding HEVC?

It's from the Skylake family, so it has 'basic' HEVC support.
I don't think that 10-bit is also supported, but I could be wrong.
Do you think a 9th gen I3 could do the job?
My main issue (excluding the low budget) is that I need a silent solution that's why I prefer lenovo/Dell micro f2f which have external psu.
If you wait just a bit longer, Intel just announced their 10th gen chip line-up. ;-)

I have a simple Asrock J5005 Gemini Lake, which can do 10-bit. But there is a catch...
Intel stated that for the low-end models, it will do HDR support only for models that have the LSPCON controller... Rolleyes So I could still be f*'d.

Anything in 9+th gen and is a Core i3/5/7/9 should be safe for that. But I'd doublecheck that first if I were you.
That's really useful info! But where should I double check it to be sure? Do you have a trusted source?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC issue?0