Linux Scraping
Hello

Can Scraping be turned off?
I would prefer that Kodi did not scrape 3rd party sites for more metadata.
Basically, I would like Kodi to index the media collections and display them with their current metadata with nothing added.
I know that I could force this by pointing the dns for the 3rd party sites to 127.0.0.1
deny Kodi access to the internet.
several different ways.
(2020-05-01, 05:34)artisticforge Wrote: Basically, I would like Kodi to index the media collections and display them with their current metadata with nothing added.
If you disable scraping, where is the metadata coming from?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
If you change the content provider to "local information only" then there won't be any outside scraping, but as noted above you will have to provide all of your own metadata via NFO (wiki) files that you've created yourself (manually or via a suitable external media manager that can make Kodi-compatible files).

Unless something is provided, their "current metadata" won't be anything, at least for newly added files. And files that have already been scraped and have metadata won't be scraped again anyway as Kodi will recognise the data is there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-05-01, 05:43)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-05-01, 05:34)artisticforge Wrote: Basically, I would like Kodi to index the media collections and display them with their current metadata with nothing added.
every media in my collection has either mp4 tags of mp3 tags in them.
mp4 tags
The "Lyrics" attribute is used basically for a free form metadata field.
The mp4tags are read and displayed by mp4info or mp3info
The Thumbnails are stored in the media file.

When any file is added to the media collections all the necessary metadata information
is all ready known and added to the media file. There is no further need to scrape additional
metadata. This is particularly true of media from iTunes.
The audio files have cover art and nearly all the mp4tags metadata filled in.

Movies, TV programs and Misc. Videos likewise. If something is missing I generally add
it when I view the media file or when performing maintenance on the filesystems.

I very seldom have to search for additional metadata.

I have no idea what an NFO file structure looks like.

Begin Quote
mp4tags: You must specify at least one MP4 file.
usage mp4tags OPTION... FILE...
Adds or modifies iTunes-compatible tags on MP4 files.

-help            Display this help text and exit
      -version         Display version information and exit
  -A, -album       STR  Set the album title
  -a, -artist      STR  Set the artist information
  -b, -tempo       NUM  Set the tempo (beats per minute)
  -c, -comment     STR  Set a general comment
  -C, -copyright   STR  Set the copyright information
  -d, -disk        NUM  Set the disk number
  -D, -disks       NUM  Set the number of disks
  -e, -encodedby   STR  Set the name of the person or company who encoded the file
  -E, -tool        STR  Set the software used for encoding
  -g, -genre       STR  Set the genre name
  -G, -grouping    STR  Set the grouping name
  -H, -hdvideo     NUM  Set the HD flag (1\0)
  -i, -type        STR  Set the Media Type(tvshow, movie, music, ...)
  -I, -contentid   NUM  Set the content ID
  -j, -genreid     NUM  Set the genre ID
  -l, -longdesc    STR  Set the long description
  -L, -lyrics      NUM  Set the lyrics
  -m, -description STR  Set the short description
  -M, -episode     NUM  Set the episode number
  -n, -season      NUM  Set the season number
  -N, -network     STR  Set the TV network
  -o, -episodeid   STR  Set the TV episode ID
  -O, -category    STR  Set the category
  -p, -playlistid  NUM  Set the playlist ID
  -P, -picture     PTH  Set the picture as a .png
  -B, -podcast     NUM  Set the podcast flag.
  -R, -albumartist STR  Set the album artist
  -s, -song        STR  Set the song title
  -S  -show        STR  Set the TV show
  -t, -track       NUM  Set the track number
  -T, -tracks      NUM  Set the number of tracks
  -x, -xid         STR  Set the globally-unique xid (vendorConfusedcheme:id)
  -X, -rating      STR  Set the Rating(none, clean, explicit)
  -w, -writer      STR  Set the composer information
  -y, -year        NUM  Set the release date
  -z, -artistid    NUM  Set the artist ID
  -Z, -composerid  NUM  Set the composer ID
  -r, -remove      STR  Remove tags by code (e.g. "-r cs"
                        removes the comment and song tags)
End Quote
The wiki knows all, the wiki tells all - https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Music
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-05-01, 05:43)Karellen Wrote:
allow me to answer your question with a question.
where are you obtaining your media files that requires you to scrape other 3rd party web sites for metadata?
Weird question, but ok. Normally JB HiFi.

Where are you obtaining your media files that come pre-tagged with information?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-05-01, 22:01)Karellen Wrote: Weird question, but ok. Normally JB HiFi.

Where are you obtaining your media files that come pre-tagged with information?

Apple iTunes.
Many of the Apple iTunes Video Files I have replaced with physical Non-DRM DVDs
I dump the iTunes Information and use it in the newly purchased video files
DVDs i scan the cover for the artwork.
OCR the text and use mp4tags to insert the info into the handbrake ripped file
I have many shell scripts which glean the information from the DVD case, Audio Book Case, Album Case.

I am 67 years old and have collected music all my life.
I have numerous VHS tapes which I have ripped using EyeTV.
Some I have replaced with DVDs.
I just keep up with the metadata when a new media file is added.
I assume that the cases and inserts are have everything i need.
Ok. That seems like a lot of work for (what I believe) is little gain. The jewel case does not usually have all the information about the movie, tv show, episodes, album and artist and the level of information provided on them varies significantly.

Video files do not have all the required tags to hold metadata and Kodi has very limited support for video file embedded tags. And simply using "lyrics" tag for some other purpose does not automatically mean that any program understands what you have done.

And the wonderful fanart.tv site with all the various artwork types that you could never scan off a dvd case.

What do you have against the comprehensive online sites?

Give the scraper a try... it might surprise you.
My Signature
(2020-05-02, 01:34)Karellen Wrote: Ok. That seems like a lot of work for (what I believe) is little gain. The jewel case does not usually have all the information about the movie, tv show, episodes, album and artist and the level of information provided on them varies significantly.

Video files do not have all the required tags to hold metadata and Kodi has very limited support for video file embedded tags. And simply using "lyrics" tag for some other purpose does not automatically mean that any program understands what you have done.

And the wonderful fanart.tv site with all the various artwork types that you could never scan off a dvd case.

What do you have against the comprehensive online sites?

Give the scraper a try... it might surprise you.
I much rather have all metadata in the media file than in separate files.
The only separate file that exist are the subtitle files *.srt
Those exist for vlc and mpv to display the correct subtitles as required.

I have a large media collection and have no desire for literally 10,000+ additional files to keep track of.
The Apple Macintosh, iPod, iPad and iPhone all deal nicely with the metadata in the media file.

I have nothing against the comprehensive online sites, i just have no use for them.

The metadata i currently have is what I require.

Scraping does not currently work with the media file naming scheme that I have been using.
It also would not work with the iTunes Media file naming scheme and storage.
I am not going to rename every media file to allow scraping to work. That would be
a huge task and would break many programs that I currently use to view or listen to media content.
Currently, having two completely different naming schemes one for Kodi and one not for Kodi does not seem
like a good idea to me.
I guess if you don't want to scrape any additional info that if you set all the scrapers to 'local information only' and then don't actually supply any local information then nothing will get scraped.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scraping0