VNC and changing password
I have installed the VNC software on my Libreelectric Kodi 18.6.
I use it for quick config changes when I'm remote from the unit. I know there may be better ways to access it but I would be interested in answering this question.
When I use the default password for vnc eg libreelec it works fine.

When I log into the kodi as a terminal and issue the command passwd  it prompts me to change the password.  However new password does't not allow access. If I copy the Default password  back to .kodi/addons/service.tigervnc/config/passwd it starts working again.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I have tried many times but not luck.

ALSO can someone show me an example of the " passwd -f  " command. Id like to try that and see if it works better, Ive searched but I cant see how to use it.

Regards
(2020-05-03, 15:21)C288 Wrote:  

P.S. One slight error in my message the command is vncpasswd not passwd. I AM using vncpasswd which appears not to work for me. Just wanted to get a head of anyone saying I was using the wrong command. Sorry.
Well I have found a solution. 
I provide it here for the benefit of others.
Please not I'm using LibreElec OS and Kodi version 18.6 

As always you should change any default passwords on everything you use.

I have installed the TigerVNC from the LibreElec Repository. I don't think its available from anywhere else. I don't know if it works on other platforms of Kodi. Perhaps someone else could answer that.

The normal way of changing the VNC password does not seem to work for me. Unless I dont understand it. I have searched but I fail to find any information on this. Perhaps I missed it.

Here is a method that does work to change the password on VNC Tigervnc.

You need to get a terminal window open.
You may use ssh and putty to login to the Kodi machine, of course you will have to set up ssh on kodi, which I don't supply here. Or you may use System tools by team LibreElec. This gives you access to a terminal window on your Kodi. Its a nice little program. By the way use Alt-Tab to flip from Kodi interface to terminal window. You may also have several terminal open and use Alt Tab to flip through them all . Gota love Xenix. 

Instructions.

Use the CD command to go to the following folder.

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tigervnc

Once there type the following command:

vncpasswd anyfilename

(you may use any file name you like )

You will be prompted for the password twice. 

You will also be asked:

"Would you like to enter a view-only password (y/n)?"

Answer the question to your liking.

A new file will be created that you gave the name to above, E.G. "anyfilename"

Your VNC password has NOT been changed yet.
As a safety measure make a copy of the default password. (If you want)
To do this use the command: 

cp passwd passwd.libreelec

Now copy the new password and replace the old password.
To do this use the command:

cp  anyfilename  passwd

Your done. Now try to use VNC from another computer to test you.
You do NOT need to restart VNC. It should just work.

NOTE: The vncpasswd command which I think should work does not for me. Thus the above method does work.
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/17700-...-password/ <- this did not work?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-05-03, 16:58)C288 Wrote:  
Yes, your absolutely right , Im sure  that ; 
       vncpasswd     /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tigervnc/passwd
would work also, thanks for the additional tip. Sadly I searched but never found this reference. I find searching for for help on Kodi is not easy. At least for me, I never seem to find the answers Im looking for.

I like to work from the working directory as long paths are prone to my mistyping skills. Thus I CD to the folder, it also helps me to understand what else is there.

The password is stored in:
    /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tigervnc/passwd

Initially I played with the below location for some time:
  /storage/.kodi/addons/service.tigervnc/config/passwd

This did not work. I'm not sure what the second passwd file is for. I'm sure something very logical. I'm not a developer in any way so just try to do my best.
Thanks 
Regards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VNC and changing password0