Can I stream videos over the internet with Kodi? (like Plex does)
Hi,
The only posts I could find related to this topic were sometimes as old as 2005!? 
So, now in 2020, is it possible to access ones own personal video collection from a location outside the LAN, like from another city? Much like Plex does but I just prefer Kodi so.... Wink
Thanks!
It depends. 

You can for sure setup a VPN connection and then you are able to connect to you home-LAN to any machine you want to connect to. Most likely you are also able to use UPnP then. But that's a guess. Anyway. You could also connect to your NAS via such a connection (if you own one). 

But don't expect Kodi to convert the videos/streams on-the-fly. So it will highly depend on your upload bandwidth and how smooth those videos will play. 

If you want that, Kodi itself is not what you are searching for.
I find a combination of Plex & Kodi works best. Using Plex with the Composite Kodi addon works very well, you get the functionality of Plex with the Kodi front-end.
DaVu...
Yes, I do have a NAS where Kodi & Plex are in fact installed (QNAP TS-251+), which I bought because it had the transcoding ability. My internet speed is decent but it's not fiber (+-6Mb/s upload).
I've never setup a VPN but I'll look into that.

FXB78...
For the solution you're talking about, do you have a Plex Premium account? Because let's face it, the main reason I prefer Kodi is also because it's free!  Wink
(2020-05-08, 18:27)chumbo Wrote: FXB78...
For the solution you're talking about, do you have a Plex Premium account? Because let's face it, the main reason I prefer Kodi is also because it's free!  Wink
No you don't need Plex-pass unless you want things like Offline sync & Recording Live TV etc. The standard version will suffice for most people.
There is also the KODI web interface. You need to know how to setup the access but then you can access and stream straight from your browser. Or does this not really apply?

Tanks and have a nice day

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I stream videos over the internet with Kodi? (like Plex does)0