Sources with identical music files (only one exists in library after scan)
I did a test by creating two sources, each with a single album  which was identical in both sources.  What I found is that the first source was added to the library.  Then when the second source was scanned, it replaced the first in the library.  I was wondering if this was expected?  I was curious what should happen if identical files exist in multiple sources.

scott s.
I think this is due to the way albums are added.  Dave will know for sure of course but I think it's because if the album already exists in the db then the details for it are updated as the user could be rescanning new/changed tags for example.  As a part of this, the source path for the album is also updated.  Therefore with the current code, an identical album under two separate sources will always show in the last scanned source not in both.

This makes sense to me as why would you want to duplicate albums in multiple places ?   Makes more sense to me to just have the album in a single source that can be included in multiple places /views.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Albums (a set of music files with consistent tagging that makes then one album) can be in multiple sources e.g. both sources point at folder paths that include that containing those music files. From memory it is folder path(s) that make sources, so if you make two sources with the same path (or multiple paths) then it will be treated as one. I think that is what you experienced Scott.

OTOH what black_eagle says is correct too, as music library does not insist on a folder hierarchy but puts music files together as an album from the tags, if you create files from the same album in two different places and scan both locations into the music library you will end up with one album.  maybe that has contributed as well?
(2020-05-15, 10:47)black_eagle Wrote: This makes sense to me as why would you want to duplicate albums in multiple places ?   Makes more sense to me to just have the album in a single source that can be included in multiple places /views.

Not something I have but I can perhaps understand why this might be wanted, for example they may have separate folders for normal stereo (2.0) albums and another folder for surround sound (5.1/7.1) albums, so some albums they may may both stereo and surround sound variants.
(2020-05-15, 12:32)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-05-15, 10:47)black_eagle Wrote: This makes sense to me as why would you want to duplicate albums in multiple places ?   Makes more sense to me to just have the album in a single source that can be included in multiple places /views.Quote

Not something I have but I can perhaps understand why this might be wanted, for example they may have separate folders for normal stereo (2.0) albums and another folder for surround sound (5.1/7.1) albums, so some albums they may may both stereo and surround sound variants. 

True, but in that case they should be different releases and therefore have different MBID's so can exist in separate directories.  I know this works because I have an SACD surround remix of Dark Side Of The Moon as well as the original stereo mix.  They show as two different albums because the MB release ID's are different.

I do use multiple sources but they are more geared to "the wife's stuff", "my stuff", "general stuff", "musicals" etc.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Using different sources for stero, surround sound etc. is a valid use, but to have the same album (tite/artist) in the library more than once they have to be different releases with different mbid tags. Files in another folder with different names etc. get matched on artist and title unless there are musicbrainz ids, in which case they get matched on those.

I'm Scott will tell us what he meant by "identical albums" - same files in different locations, same tags etc. ?
I just copied the files (actually artist folder\album folder\song.mp3) into two different parent or source root folders, so the paths are different and the parents are in sources.xml.  I was mainly interested if the path was considered a unique identifier for a song or the resulting album, but what I found is the first scanned song from source1 was removed and the second (duplicate) song was added.  The first album was removed (album id 1) and the second (duplicate) one added with the next available album id (album id 2).  The first source was not listed in the sources node, I guess due to no files being active in the library.  But in files node it was listed as expected.

I don't think it's a problem, just want to understand what happens in the case of duplicated files across sources.

scott s.
Since this thread is discussing Two Sources with identical files let me report a problem I discovered yesterday.

I bought a new NAS (bigger drives too), duplicated my Music volume from old to new. Removed the old Sources from Kodi, checked the DBs (textures remained), deleted both music and texture DBs, rebooted Kodi. No sources yet added or scanned.

So far so good, although music art in textures should have been removed.

Here’s the problem: I remembered that I needed to change a couple of settings prior to scan, adding new sources: Tick.

Adding Artist Information Folder: This still had my old NAS folder. I couldn’t change it. It would allow me to select a new folder on the existing NAS path but not select a new Device in the dialog. The UI had a double dot to climb a folder tree but no response. The only fix was to ‘Reset above settings to default’. Problem solved, but wait there’s more...

I use ArtistSlideShow and that has the same dialog to set the path to Artist Information Folder. Same problem except it doesn’t have a reset setting to default option.

Can a fix be done for this Artist Information Dialog setting to allow selection of a new device/source please?

BTW: I tried with Estuary and Aeon Nox Silvo skins just in case it was a skin issue.

I’m going to see if the setting is stored in the ASS add-on folder today, hopefully that will solve the problem. If not I need another resolution (Or keep my AIS folder on my old NAS in the sort term...)
(2020-05-15, 22:27)HomerJau Wrote: Since this thread is discussing Two Sources with identical files let me report a problem I discovered yesterday.

I bought a new NAS (bigger drives too), duplicated my Music volume from old to new. Removed the old Sources from Kodi, checked the DBs (textures remained), deleted both music and texture DBs, rebooted Kodi. No sources yet added or scanned.

So far so good, although music art in textures should have been removed.

Here’s the problem: I remembered that I needed to change a couple of settings prior to scan, adding new sources: Tick.

Adding Artist Information Folder: This still had my old NAS folder. I couldn’t change it. It would allow me to select a new folder on the existing NAS path but not select a new Device in the dialog. The UI had a double dot to climb a folder tree but no response. The only fix was to ‘Reset above settings to default’. Problem solved, but wait there’s more...

I use ArtistSlideShow and that has the same dialog to set the path to Artist Information Folder. Same problem except it doesn’t have a reset setting to default option.

Can a fix be done for this Artist Information Dialog setting to allow selection of a new device/source please?

BTW: I tried with Estuary and Aeon Nox Silvo skins just in case it was a skin issue.

I’m going to see if the setting is stored in the ASS add-on folder today, hopefully that will solve the problem. If not I need another resolution (Or keep my AIS folder on my old NAS in the sort term...)

I think your problem is unrelated, but I suspect it could be worked-around by adding the new artist info folder as a file manager source.  Then I think you could find it to select it in the settings.  I recall experiencing general problems of that nature in using network (smb anyway) paths.  In this thread experiment with multi-sources case both sources were on the same local hard drive.

I should note that my test files do not have any mbid in them.

scott s.
[font][font]Cmo te fue con eso?[/font][/font]
@marilin

We are an English forum, please also post your translation. Google Translate
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sources with identical music files (only one exists in library after scan)0