Skin suggestions please: for changing subtitle position during playback
Hello!

So there it is (again), the problem I'm facing and read a lot of others complaining about when googled it: the lack of the option to change the subtitle position manually (with precise stetting) during playback. I've read that there MAY be some skins, that has this feature implemented (tho' I wonder if they do, why the base Kodi still lacks this anyway), so I'm asking for suggestions regarding. I would prefer light-weighted skins and not much fancy, i.e Estuary like. 

(It would be a really basic feature to have, any other trendy players have this option since ages, and it's also not a big deal to figure out the reason of demand: different aspect ratio videos need different optimal subtitle position settings for the sake of convenience, look and mostly for the good readability.)

Thanks for the replies!
I don't see any way that a skin can control this?

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-05-16, 16:26)scott967 Wrote: I don't see any way that a skin can control this?

scott s.
So there's no any way to do it, right?

I just wonder if there's any intention in the future to have this implemented and also about the reason why it still isn't since the very long lifetime of Kodi in general.
You can already do it. Video Settings/Video Calibration will let you adjust this whilst video is playing.
(2020-05-16, 18:37)FXB78 Wrote: You can already do it. Video Settings/Video Calibration will let you adjust this whilst video is playing.
OP doesn't want to have to pause his playback I assume.  You could maybe use a skin helper addon to change the Kodi setting, but calibration is set per monitor/resolution combo so getting the right setting to change might be non-trivial.  Too, I don't know when the setting is read by Kodi, so changing it outside of the video calibration window may not cause Kodi to use it until the video playback is restarted.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-05-18, 20:25)scott967 Wrote:
(2020-05-16, 18:37)FXB78 Wrote: You can already do it. Video Settings/Video Calibration will let you adjust this whilst video is playing.
OP doesn't want to have to pause his playback I assume.  You could maybe use a skin helper addon to change the Kodi setting, but calibration is set per monitor/resolution combo so getting the right setting to change might be non-trivial.  Too, I don't know when the setting is read by Kodi, so changing it outside of the video calibration window may not cause Kodi to use it until the video playback is restarted.

scott s.
You don't have to pause playback, try it for yourself. Go into Calibration during playback & you can move the subtitles to wherever you want. It works perfectly.
(2020-05-18, 21:30)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-05-18, 20:25)scott967 Wrote:

scott s.
You don't have to pause playback, try it for yourself. Go into Calibration during playback & you can move the subtitles to wherever you want. It works perfectly.   
Why does it need to be in the Video Calibration menu at first place, where you must be very aware and not to click anything else than OK for 2 times to not mess up the screen position to get finally the subtitle bar to set. Why isn't it separately in the Subtitle settings menu? I can bear this, but this isn't a very user friendly and noob proof solution of doing this right at all...
And tho I've checked to overwrite ass/ssa subs settings in the settings menu, it still adjusts the height position only for .srt subs, not for ass/ssa nor for PGS sup subtitles. All the other media player i'we tried so far could handle this, but with KODI these sub types positions are still stuck on their default. Any clue why this still isn't working?
Can't it be remapped at keymap level with the SubtitleShiftUp, SubtitleShiftDown actions? Or not what you're looking for?
(2020-05-19, 13:36)jimkaf Wrote: Can't it be remapped at keymap level with the SubtitleShiftUp, SubtitleShiftDown actions? Or not what you're looking for?

Could have been, 1. have tried and searched for it in the Keymap Editor add-on, but no such options for binding, 2. (otherwise) many remotes lack just those few more buttons to specially bind such extra option to them. So it's not a very "universal" solution.

Or not what you're looking for?-> Not exactly, I've write about what instead. To get an easy access and unequivocal setting option in the Playback OSD menu (along with the subtitle character styling options, but I guess that's another story for now).
Alright yes if we're talking about a universal new user friendly solution it's a different matter.

I just hinted at that because I find it very practical mapping remotes' longpress up and down or pageup pagedown for subtitle delay changes in full screen video.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin suggestions please: for changing subtitle position during playback0