Unable to use % based seeking
For personal reasons I prefer percentage base skipping rather than time-based. I watch a lot of small videos and one big skip the whole thing is gone.

I would love to find a way to reproduce the Popcorn Hour style of having each number key immediately bring you to that percentage of the video. So for instance if you pressed three you would go to 30%, pressing nine brings you to 90% impressing one brings you to 10%.

I’d be satisfied with just changing the big skip behavior to be a 10% percentage base rather than a flat 10 minutes. In for a day or two I thought I was able to make that happen but it stopped working and now I can’t bring it back.

I went through the procedure of duplicating estuary and renaming it and making it my skin so I could set up the advancedsettings XML file. I set the flag on time seek to false and set “skip” and “big skip” to 1% and 10% respectively. I believe this is actually “seek” in the XML file. This worked flawlessly for a few hours and then all of the sudden I started getting the flat 10 minute forward and backward on the big seek. Left and right small seek continue to stay at 1% however.

I rebooted to try to reload the advanced settings and it still didn’t work. I keep deleting and re-creating the advanced settings XML file and occasionally I’ll get it to skip in percentage steps on smaller shorter videos but anything bigger than about 15 minutes it starts to skip 10 minutes ahead and back again. After it does that once it does it all the time again. It seems like once it loads the setting from the default settings it forgets the advanced XML but the left and right small seek continues to be percentage based.

I Would understand if it never worked, but it worked for a time and then stopped working and now I get occasional weird behavior.
I’m about to reformat and completely a start for my fresh libreElec install but I would love to have some enlightenment on this issue.

Does anybody understand what’s happening here and is there anyway to make what I want to happen work?

Upon further experimentation I’ve discovered that if the video is less than 20 minutes it will big skip a certain percentage although it’s not exactly 10 percent, it does increase with the duration of the video. If the video is longer than 20 minutes it goes back to just skipping every 10 minutes. These are not videos with chapter marks so I was sure to check that.

It seems very odd that they do not allow us to customize this behavior more to our liking. Is there any kind of command that can be used in the advanced settings XML file that would allow you to instantly go to a particular percentage of the video. Because then I could just map the numbers one through nine keys to their respective percentages.

Before posting this I searched extensively and really couldn’t find any information or some conflicting information saying that the big skip setting is fixed in 10 minutes and cannot be changed but we know this isn’t entirely true. And there are some percentage settings or flags that can be put into the XML file but they just don’t seem to work all that consistently.
See https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=HOW-TO...did=103274 for some examples. If you still can't it working after following that, then can you copy your advancedsettings.xml to https://pastebin.com/ and provide us with a debug log_file (wiki), make sure to restart Kodi after logging is enabled to capture whether advancedsettings.xml is loaded and then try skipping something.
(2020-05-17, 10:23)jjd-uk Wrote: See https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=HOW-TO...did=103274 for some examples. If you still can't it working after following that, then can you copy your advancedsettings.xml to https://pastebin.com/ and provide us with a debug log_file (wiki), make sure to restart Kodi after logging is enabled to capture whether advancedsettings.xml is loaded and then try skipping something.

I got it SOLVED. It wasn’t loading in for some reason when I edited the sample file it invalidated a tag. I couldn’t see which one still but I just put the whole thing in there and it works now.

Thanks everyone for their help.

That’s where I got from to begin with. But I will follow your instructions. Do the indentations/tab in the advanced settings file make a difference or is it just there for visual clarity?

Here is the current advanced setting.
https://pastebin.com/LXnNNSh8

And I get an error: ERROR: Error loading special://profile/advancedsettings.xml, Line 18
Error reading end tag.

The reason I haven’t uploaded the log is that I think I have a plug-in that might disqualify me. It’s not for anything nefarious it was to help me write the advanced XML file And cleanup settings. It’s called Xanax, it looks like it might be dodgy. I followed a guide that ended up installing a lot more stuff than I thought it was going to.

So I Im going to do a clean install and start from scratch.

In the meantime clearly there was an error and loading that and settings file.
You are missing the close tag on video:

You have <video> and it should be </video>

xml:
<video>
   <usetimeseeking>false</usetimeseeking>
   <percentseekforward>1</percentseekforward>
   <percentseekbackward>-1</percentseekbackward>
   <percentseekforwardbig>10</percentseekforwardbig>
   <percentseekbackwardbig>-10</percentseekbackwardbig>
<video>

Should be:

xml: