Solved Has anyone successfully set up KODI and Synology...
...for access from a PC not on the same network as the Synology NAS, without external software or services (like VPN or Dynamic IP providers etc)?

I have a Synology 1618+ which I purchased specifically for the purpose of being a NAS for all my KODI content (all legal copies of discs I actually own and keep in boxes in the attic). Now I want to be able to access these movies from a PC in my cabin (all perfectly legal where I am at least), but I have not been able to find a way to do so that doesn't involve very complicated (for me at least) external services. I thought KODI and Synology between them should have what is needed for KODI to play movies stored on a Synology NAS on an external network, but I may be mistaken (and in that case also quite disappointed with my NAS)??

Any help, comments, hints would be very much appreciated! I am not an IT-guy, just a movie fan, so unfortunately I do not understand a lot of technical abbreviations, but I am normally just about smart enough to understand things well explained in sufficient detail (fingers crossed...)
If the ways we discussed before aren't suitable, one other option is WebDAV.

That can be enabled on the NAS (see here) and Kodi can also use WebDAV sources.

The problem will be if your ISP isn't giving you a static IP address, every time you reboot your router (or every time it renegotiates with the ISP server) you'll end up with a different external IP address and things will break. For this you need a DDNS service to act as a middle-man. There is no way around that, but your Synology should already have that service set-up (the mysynology account you probably already set up when you installed the NAS).

There are a few newer services starting to appear which may give different options in the future, but as yet I don't see much proof of how they work or how secure they are.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-05-19, 15:59)DarrenHill Wrote: If the ways we discussed before aren't suitable, one other option is WebDAV.

That can be enabled on the NAS (see here) and Kodi can also use WebDAV sources.

The problem will be if your ISP isn't giving you a static IP address, every time you reboot your router (or every time it renegotiates with the ISP server) you'll end up with a different external IP address and things will break. For this you need a DDNS service to act as a middle-man. There is no way around that, but your Synology should already have that service set-up (the mysynology account you probably already set up when you installed the NAS).

There are a few newer services starting to appear which may give different options in the future, but as yet I don't see much proof of how they work or how secure they are.
Thanks Darren, I have noticed both of these in the NAS' "app store" so I will look into going that route :-)
In the NAS control panel, look under external access. You should already see your Synology remote access there (something.synology.me).

That's a DDNS service, so you can use that in conjunction with WebDAV to remote access your media once you have that service installed and set up. Depending on your router configuration, you may need to open ports in it to pass the WebDAV requests from the internet to your NAS (if you don't have UPNP set up on the router to automatically do it). The link I gave before has more details, except you're using Kodi as the client rather than the ones listed in there. When you add sources to Kodi, one of the listed options alongside SMB and NFS etc is WebDAV (using the add network location option at the bottom of the add sources list).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I'm guessing for the kind of access Kodi needs, WebDAV may be the simplest way forward while VPN tunnel might provide some more features, probably isn't required.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Thanks guys, trying WebDAV as we speak, seems I have to go into my router and add a port forwarding rules. My son is testing for me and he reports that he now has access to the NAS, so he is just trying to understand how to get KODI to get access to the folders:-)
Videos > files > add videos > browse > add network location

Then under protocol, select WebDAV using the little up/down arrows (HTTPS server is encrypted and so better, HTTP if not - the Synology can support both). The server address will be your DDNS address (<something>.synology.me, where something is whatever you set up) and the remote path will be whatever share path your media is in. Port, username and password will again be whatever port you set WebDAV on, and username and password are the NAS user login credentials.

Once the location is set up, it's used like any other source (give it a name and then scan stuff to the library).

If he has access to the NAS from outside, he has most of the configuration details he needs already to do so.

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-05-19, 21:07)DarrenHill Wrote: Videos > files > add videos > browse > add network location

Then under protocol, select WebDAV using the little up/down arrows (HTTPS server is encrypted and so better, HTTP if not - the Synology can support both). The server address will be your DDNS address (<something>.synology.me, where something is whatever you set up) and the remote path will be whatever share path your media is in. Port, username and password will again be whatever port you set WebDAV on, and username and password are the NAS user login credentials.

Once the location is set up, it's used like any other source (give it a name and then scan stuff to the library).

If he has access to the NAS from outside, he has most of the configuration details he needs already to do so.
Great, thanks, it is working now! :-)

One issue though,my son sent some pictures to show that he was importing the right movies from the NAS into his library, which he was. But about 5-10 percent of the movies are scraped incorrectly and I have had to manually correct this, and the same for poor, lacking or alternative artwork, but here maybe for 20% of the content. So I have spent a lot of time doing this for hundreds of discs. Is there any way I can transfer this work to the KODI set-up I will make at my cabin, which I will start this week-end, or will it need to be done separately for each installation I have? (I also plan on having a second PC at home running KODI in a different room, and would like to reuse all my efforts if possible). I can see from my sons pictures that the work is not carried over automatically from the NAS, but the additional info might be stored locally on the PC in the KODI folder?
If you've exported your library as separate files (which will make NFO (wiki) files that sit beside the media itself) then when you set up the new system with its own database, those will be seen when you scrape and will be imported again rather than using the scraper to get the metadata etc from the internet. Similarly if you use an addon like Artwork Beef, or indeed just make the adjustments in advancedsettings.xml (wiki) for extended artwork then those should be stored beside the media too (both presuming you've got your library well set up with individual movies in their own folders).

I'd recommend doing that anyway as if you have to rebuild your library database for any reason (device library corruption or a new device for examples) then it's simply a case of locally rescraping again to get everything back as it was.

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks Darren. Yes every movie and every tv show is in a separate folder, but I have simply used the Information->Change artwork to a downloaded jpeg stored in the movie folder, or selected Change Title from the Manage submenu of the movie, no nfos used. I will look into doing that from now onwards, thanks for the tip :-)
https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library/Video for more details on exporting.

As noted you want the separate files option in this case, and of course make sure the device has write access to the server as it will drop the NFO (wiki) and graphics files in alongside the media files.

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanks for all your help! I still have some issues, but they are not related to getting the Synology to work with KODI, but rather with KODI itself, and I will try to address them elsewhere, but this thread is solved! :-)
Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Has anyone successfully set up KODI and Synology...0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.