Solved Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware??
Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware?
I'm imagining using :-
different IP addresses for each Kodi instance (so using different ethernet or wifi adaptors)

different Kodi Music Libraries for each instance (I'm only expecting to use this for music)

a common audio LR output to one HiFi

Control would be from Kore or Yatse to one server or the other, chosen by Kodi IP address.
Both Kodi servers would start up at power-on.

Currently I'm running Kodi on Ubuntu on a low-powered Gigabyte Brix unit.  Reason for the question is that half the music is sensibly/conventionally tagged. The other half is random stuff navigable only by filename or tag Title.
Please don't tell me to tag it all properly!
Hello

Two instances seems overkill and I don't have the knowledge to answer.

Could you run one instance but add two profiles to Kodi. Then different sources under each profile. One TaggedCorrect one TaggedIncorrect?
Yes, you can run two instances on Linux, I do it all the time.  One is a systemwide install, the other is built from source and run in the build directory as a portable installation via the -p switch on the command line.

You don't need different IP addresses, just change the port on one of the instances to something different and then reflect that in Kore/Yatse.  If you are using pulseaudio then both instances should be able to output audio to whatever via that.  If you ditch pulse and use ALSA then you can get both instances to output to different audio outputs if required.

Only my systemwide install fires up at boot (well, login really) but it'd be trivial to start them both.  Kodi generally requires some sort of video output too.  In my case my nVidia card has multiple outputs so one outputs to a TV, the portable instance to a monitor although the TV and/or monitor do not need to be turned on, just something active on both outputs.  If you haven't considered that it might be the only stumbling point because otherwise it's perfectly possible to do pretty much what you want.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Yes, you can. If you use network namespaces to do it, you could have one running from your real ip, and another instance isolated on a VPN connection with no possibility of leaking your real ip.
I just worked this up tonight. I suppose there is no reason why you couldn't use it to do this with containers. Set the PULSE_SERVER variable to the host and install a pulseaudio server on the host. Done.

black_eagles answer probably the best one though.

354606 (thread)
(2020-05-20, 21:20)black_eagle Wrote: Yes, you can run two instances on Linux, I do it all the time.  One is a systemwide install, the other is built from source and run in the build directory as a portable installation via the -p switch on the command line.
Why bother having 2 Kodi installs? You only need one Kodi with each instance pointing to a different config dir.

Quote:You don't need different IP addresses, just change the port on one of the instances to something different and then reflect that in Kore/Yatse.
He specifically stated he wants different IP's using different network devices for each instance. Just changing ports does not accomplish that.
(2020-05-20, 14:13)MateoAnthony Wrote: Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware?
I'm imagining using :-
different IP addresses for each Kodi instance (so using different ethernet or wifi adaptors)

different Kodi Music Libraries for each instance (I'm only expecting to use this for music)

a common audio LR output to one HiFi

Control would https://snaptube.cam/https://9apps.cam/ be from Kore or Yatse to one server or the other, chosen by Kodi IP address.
Both Kodi servers would start up at power-on.

Currently I'm running Kodi on Ubuntu on a low-powered Gigabyte Brix unit.  Reason for the question is that half the music is sensibly/conventionally tagged. The other half is random stuff navigable only by filename or tag Title.
Please don't tell me to tag it all properly!
thank you my issue has been solved
Thread marked solved.
Got a Kodi problem? Provide us with a full Debug log (wiki) || Usefull pages: First time user (wiki) || Troubleshooting (wiki) || Free content (wiki) || Forum rules (wiki) || VPN policy (wiki)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I run two instances of Kodi at once on the same Linux hardware??00
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.