Really strange stuttering issue
Hi everyone, I have 2 HTPC at home running LibreElec, and I am experiencing video stuttering with one of them since a couple of days.
As i did a number of changes in the recent days (video files moved to NAS instead of local drives in HTPC, experiments with Emby add-ons, LibreElec upgrade), I have assumed that the issues were related to one of these changes, but now I am ruling out these possibilities:
  • i did a serie of tests using video files hosted on local drivers: problem is still here, which takes the NAS out of the equation
  • I did a serie of tests with different LibreElec versions (9.0 and 9.2), fresh installs: problem with both, which rules out any problems from latest 9.2 upgrade
  • I did a serie of tests with hardware acceleration enabled / disabled: problem still here
So, what is the problem?
Any movie I play will stutter at some point (usually after a few seconds, and only always at the same moment of each movie)
Stutter is maybe not the right term (non native english speaker...), so if i should describe what happens:
  • image freeze
  • but if I pause and play again a couple of times, i can see that according to the timeline the file is still read
  • once the video file is frozen on an image, i need to get back to the home screen via ctrl+X (i am not kicked out of the video playback)
  • i have noticed also that when i play a file, in the past files hosted on local drives started instantly. Now there is a bit of loading (2-3 seconds). 

I have been thinking of hardware / bios issues, i have looked there and found nothing fishy, plus everything had been working fine for a couple of years, so I am ruling this out also.
Perhaps it would help if I would post a log, just need to check out to do this again and will add to this thread.

Next on my list is to install Windows 10 and/or OpenElec and/or an instance on Linux, with Kodi, and see if I get the same problem.
But until I can do that, I am posting here in case some could suggest an obvious fix and setting I have missed.

thanks!
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
By the way, i have my log files in a zip. which do i need to upload? Kodi log, system log, hardware...? thanks
(2020-05-21, 13:17)guill69f Wrote: By the way, i have my log files in a zip. which do i need to upload? Kodi log, system log, hardware...? thanks

No zip files please.
Just as stated above, a debug log (wiki), meaning debugging enabled in the GUI and containing the issue and kindly pasted to https://paste.kodi.tv
Thanks. the post with the instructions came while I was posting my second message.
The logfile is there now: iroyuwexar (paste)

Please let me know if I should provide anything else, and thanks by the way for help :-)
You have an Intel® HD Graphics 4400 graphics chip which was not designed for handling x265/hevc videos, so all video decoding needs to be done by the CPU. This may be a bit too much for your machine. Try displaying the process details during a video by pressing 'o'. You'll probably see that Kodi is using (SW) decoding.
@Klojum thanks for feedback. First I thought that's it, how stupid I missed that, even though i think I recall i played x265 on this machine too, but since i use it less than the other one, i can't say that fore sure. SO now i tried a couple of video, H.265, H.264 and 576p MPEG. While after pressing "O" i see the video coder for H.265 is SW indeed; i saw HW decoding for the other  video types. but guess what: the problem reported below happens in call cases :-(
I'm not saying that it's impossible to view h.265 on your machine, but depending on the resolution and the bitrate of the video, things may become difficult. I don't think any 4K hevc video will run properly on it. The log file shows plenty of identical entries of something not supported on your machine. I'm not a video guru to tell the exact problem, but the fact that the entries show up is not a positive thing.
ok, some progresses, but they make things a bit more confused...
I have installed the latest Ubuntu (instead of LibreElec), and then Kodi app: it's crazy fast compared to LibreElec, and all x265, h.264 and everything plays perfectly smoothly, so i think my machine is good enough, i just don't get why all of a sudden I had all this issues... Is that to say it might be due to LibreElec? I'll give it another try during the week end as I very much would like to have this on my HTPC instead of some OS + Kodi app to launch, but well, if it does not work I'll use Ubuntu, Win 10 or Linux Mint... Let's see. I'll come back and add to that thread how things are going for me, but if until then some can shed some light on why I have had issues, i'll be happy to know :-) thx
I'm running Kodi on Ubuntu 20.04 on a HD5500 Broadwell laptop, and things seem to do fine. I only tested LibreELEC briefly on it (just the simple things) and it did okay.
Since I'm using Ubuntu as a daily driver anyway, running Kodi on it is fine by me. You can still testdrive via bootable USB sticks of course, and see if/where there are differences.
I'll do that tomorrow, i'm just wondering why things went to hell with my LibreElec set-up when it has been working well for 2-3 years... but if I ubuntu or another OS it has to be, so be it... [emoji52]
And to just give full feedback, I did also a win 10 install with kodi and things are working as good as before, as good as the ubuntu + kodi set--up. I also took the chance to try reading video from NAS instead of local drives, and set-up kodi with emby for kodi add-on. All works good. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really strange stuttering issue0