v18 Difference in size between 18.6 and 18.7 ??
Just downloaded the new release 18.7 and notice the file size has decreased quite a lot from 60mb to 47mb. I readt it was just a bug fix release? Can someone explain whats changed?
Last time I saw a change this big was when the PVR backends were removed from the core appliction. Has something else been removed ?
Cheers
Don't know anything about the packaging for windows installer, but appears that the MS Visual C 2017 runtime package is different.   Of course, if you have 18.6 installed and running, you have the runtimes already on your system .

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
For a detailed run down of the changes and comparison of 18.6 vs 18.7 and it's these changes that likely produce the byte count we all enjoy.

Link to the standard news, and announcement if a thank-you is in the cards.
I've had a look at the installers and seems 18.7 has an issue with the vc redistribution as it seems to be 0 bytes (at least when checking with 7-zip)

https://imgur.com/a/pHfWD6Q

The size of this file not being present ~13MB would account for the different archive size.
Actually I noticed size increase when publishing 18.6 bundle on Windows Store compared to 18.5, and 18.7 is comparable with the smaller 18.5 bundle.

It is very possible that is related to the presence (or lack) of the MS Visual C 2017 runtime package.   I thought that I included them when making the bundle, but I human and the manual steps of preparing the bundle for publication in Windows Store rather tedious, so I could have made a mistake and ommited them. Apologies if I did.

Whatever happened the same applied to release of 18.5, and I don't remember any user complaints about it. It is very likely that many users already have the runtimes on their system, so we get away with it. I also note that this thread is not a complaint either, just an enquiry about what changed. So for now my response is just to explain rather than rush to try and change the published bundle.

I can reassure users that as a point release no major functionality has been removed or added.

EDIT:
It has been pointed out to me that the OP is discussing the size of the normal desktop installer, and not what is published via Windows Store. Sorry for any confusion my reply discussing bundle size may have caused.

In that case I have no idea why the MS Visual C 2017 runtime package is missing from the desktop installer, making the resulting installer exe 47MB rather than 60MB. This is an automated aspect of the build and, unlike the bundle for store, not something I  could have fumbled.

While in theory this should causes issues for first time installation, testing has shown at least for Windows 10 that is not the case.

We will monitor the situation
Same seems happening with v19 nightlies from some days ago:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/windows/win64/master/

from 63.7 MB  "normal" installer size to 50.8 MB

Maybe is related
Yes, we are investigating build server set-up differences that may be the cause of the missing VC redistibutables.

Meanwhile if this is an issue for any first time installations of Kodi on Windows OS (before Win 10) then a temporary work around is for the user to look at downloading and installing the MS Visual C++ redistributables  separately.  Hoping this will effect very few users for now.
(2020-05-23, 19:47)DaveBlake Wrote: Meanwhile if this is an issue for any first time installations of Kodi on Windows OS (before Win 10) then a temporary work around is for the user to look at downloading and installing the MS Visual C++ redistributables  separately.  Hoping this will effect very few users for now.

Or install an older build first before size shrink, then install new build over the top.
Just to add to my original question, yes I'm installing over 18.6 on all the clients I have, and havent experienced any issues at all since the upgrade :-)

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference in size between 18.6 and 18.7 ??0