Broken Android TV - Shield TV - Kodi 18.7 black screen
Sad 
Hi,

Everythings was fine until Kodi 18.7 was installed automatically yesterday on my Shield 2017. Now i can't play anymore any video :'( i have the sound but a black screen.
I try many videos with multiples encoding, videos that working perfectly before (with Kodi 18.6 or before) but i always have a black screen.

I try to reboot Kodi, reboot the Shield and flush the cache but same problem. Other video apps like Netflix work fine.

How to solve this problem ? I can logs if needed or others informations.

Thanks !
Is it a x265 video?
and does it happen on “resume play”?

If yes for both, we have the same problem.
Hope someone notices
please use this build. maybe you will see all your problems fixed.
if you see the changelog of Kodi 18.7 you'll see this: Use JNI instead of NDK for MediaCodec (Android)
the build in the link below is Kodi build 18.7 without this change that broke playback in Nvidia Shield.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk

lets hope Kodi developers revert this change again for future builds of Kodi.
I just tried the test build with Sony XE95. Video is smooth, however resume on x265 still shows black screen with audio only. The issue was reported long time ago and there are several threads on it.
So not sure these two are related
i'm happy to see your Video is smooth now. as for black screen i dont know.
i have Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to Denon AVR-X4200W and i dont
have black screen issues. but this build i told you fixed my playback issues and
now video is smooth again without stuttering.
Well my friend, good luck for the both of us. I don’t think we’ll be getting answer for this. I never had this issue in 18.5
(2020-05-23, 13:20)djspiros Wrote: please use this build. maybe you will see all your problems fixed.
if you see the changelog of Kodi 18.7 you'll see this: Use JNI instead of NDK for MediaCodec (Android)
the build in the link below is Kodi build 18.7 without this change that broke playback in Nvidia Shield.

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk

lets hope Kodi developers revert this change again for future builds of Kodi.

Thanks à lot, it works afin with this version !!!
I hope this bug will be fixed in next version.

For information my problem occured with all encoding h264 or h265 from the begining.
i'm happy that it works for you. please write it also here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=354295

so developers know that more people have problem with this so they will fix it soon.
be well, thank you!!!
Hi everybody.

Just a question about Kodi 18.7 et Nvidia Shield TV 2019.
Kodi inform me that a new version is release (i'm currently under 18.6).
I try an update with the Play Store, but no update by this way (always 18.6).
So i try manually with an APK.
And it's my question : wich APK ? ARMv8a or ARMv7a ?
I try both, and only ARMv7a works. The other version can't be install. Is it normal ?

Thanks, live long and prosper.
The normal Shield 2019 can only 32 Bit, the Shield Pro 2019 is 64 Bit. But is actually generally known.
Thank you for the answer. Like systeme information from Kodi indicates ARMv8 processor (rev 1) for Shield TV 2019 "lite", i thought the ARMv8a version was the good version. No big deal, i'll install the ARMv7a version.
Hi,
Same problem here with black screen during playback. I was a happy user of the special version without JNI. I thought that I had turned off automatic update in Google Play, but unfortunately, Kodi was updated again and the same problem happened....

As you can't install earlier version without losing data, it would be very good if the above fix is available for the latest Kodi as well. I'll make sure to turn off automatic updates...

As I would guess all Nvidia users have the same problem, it would be very much appreciated if we could use HW based MediaCodec again. Thanks.
(2020-06-14, 13:23)Eirik Wrote: Hi,
Same problem here with black screen during playback. I was a happy user of the special version without JNI. I thought that I had turned off automatic update in Google Play, but unfortunately, Kodi was updated again and the same problem happened....

As you can't install earlier version without losing data, it would be very good if the above fix is available for the latest Kodi as well. I'll make sure to turn off automatic updates...

As I would guess all Nvidia users have the same problem, it would be very much appreciated if we could use HW based MediaCodec again. Thanks.
Completely agree. This is absolutely not workable for Shield users like this.

Does anybody know a way to downgrade an app on Android 10 without loosing the settings?
I thought this issue was fixed in the latest release, which you can sideload to your Shield. I don't use Android so may be wrong, but I'm sure that's what I read.
18.7.2 is now fully available via the Play Store beta channel, and is currently being rolled out to the main channel as well.

So for those who do not yet have it available directly, it should be in the next few days.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android TV - Shield TV - Kodi 18.7 black screen0