Howto Preserve Original Language Titles [and Posters]
I've just switched from OpenPHT to Kodi and am rebuilding my libraries.  

In OpenPHT I was able to view all my film and TV prog titles in their original languages and I had poster art in the original languages too.  In Kodi however, the film and program titles are all translated into English and when I open the info panel to select poster art, the only poster art I am offered are the English versions.

I want to have  my films and TV progs display in their original original languages in Kodi. Is this possible? And, if so how do I do it?

I've got used to seeing my listings in the original languages and can't find half the things now because I'm having to second guess what the translations of the titles are.  

Examples:

1: Flemish series "De Dag" displays in OpenPHT as "De Dag" with poster showing "De Dag". In Kodi it displays as "The Day" and all posters offered show "The Day"

2: Spanish series "Casa de Papel" displays in OpenPHT as "Casa de Papel" with poster showing "Casa de Papel". In Kodi it displays as "Money Heist" and all posters offered show "Money Heist"

etc... etc...

How do I get  Kodi to leave things as they are and stop force-translating everything into English?
(2020-05-28, 20:09)stuzbot Wrote: I want to have  my films and TV progs display in their original original languages in Kodi. Is this possible? And, if so how do I do it?

It depends. If the info (plot, artwork) is available at the scraping website in your native language, then yes. It is possible. Please check https://www.themoviedb.org/ for the movie/tv show and select the specific language to check which artwork is available.

After you know it is available, you should set up your scraper correctly. There are those scraper settings while adding sources where you are able to specify in which language you want to scrape the info.

If the artwork or the info is missing in your native language, then there's nothing we can do. Beside that you create your own account at TMDB and do the translation or provide fanart for those movies so all others do benefit from that as well.

You can also take a look at fanart.tv. Using the "universal movie scraper" makes it possible to grab fanart from there, IIRC. But you have to spend way more time to set this scraper up.
(2020-05-28, 20:19)DaVu Wrote:
(2020-05-28, 20:09)stuzbot Wrote: I want to have  my films and TV progs display in their original original languages in Kodi. Is this possible? And, if so how do I do it?

It depends. If the info (plot, artwork) is available at the scraping website in your native language, then yes. It is possible....

There are those scraper settings while adding sources where you are able to specify in which language you want to scrape the info...

If the artwork or the info is missing in your native language...

Ah. I think you're misunderstanding me. My native language is English. But I've got a lot of films and TV series from other parts of the world, which I watch with subtitles.  When scrolling through my library, I want to see the titles of those films and TV series displayed in the original languages. So, for example  "De Dag", "Casa de Papel", "Das Boot".... etc.   

I've ticked the setting in Kodi for "keep original titles" [or however it's worded. Not near my media centre at the mo']  when scanning my library and, if I 'get info' on a particular film or TV series, the original title is shown in its original language.  However, the title displays in the normal library view translated into English, so I end up with this odd schizophrenic situation whereby [for example] scrolling through my library, I'll see "Money Heist", get info on it and it's now called "Casa de Papel" and, when I search for poster art, etc, all the options I am offered are the English versions of the poster.  

What I'm looking for is Kodi to preserve the original titles throughout the display in a consistent manner and I'm also wondering if there's a way to set the scraper up so, when it searches for poster art, it doesn't just return results in English?

[I'll try and flesh out this post with some screengrabs later, when I'm near my Kodi machine, to better illustrate what I mean.]

and [as I've said before, Kodi also
You could create your own local nfo files with whatever details you want to use & download artwork locally, see https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files and https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Local_Art_Comes_First
(2020-05-29, 11:46)FXB78 Wrote: You could create your own local nfo files...

Hmmm. I was kind of hoping there'd be a less labour intensive way to do what I want but I did fear that it might end up involving editing a shedload of .nfo files. I'll have to do some digging and see if there's a way to automate .nfo generation from my existing OpenPHT library, as that has everything setup how I want it, with regard to naming and poster art, etc.
Might want to check out some of the 3rd party media manager apps (see supplementary tools forum).  I personally use Media Companion as I can have full control over what gets scraped and the art.  The app creates the resulting nfo file which Kodi can then read.  The default skin (Estuary) doesn't show the original title in lists, but addon skins such Aeon MQ8 do have this as an option.  But this might not carry over to things like widgets titles so I suspect using the 3rd party app will give you your best results.  Unfortunately in most cases the assumption is you want all info and art in a single language.  I don't know OpenPHT/Plex but it doesn't seem easy to get metadata exported from it in a Kodi-friendly format.

scott  s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-05-29, 17:41)scott967 Wrote: Might want to check out some of the 3rd party media manager apps (see supplementary tools forum...

I ended up adopting an incremental approach to this.  I'd say maybe about 10% of the films and TV progs in my library are 'foreign' [or at least 'non-English'] so I've linstalled a plugin [sorry can't remember the name] which, when run on the library, exports a .NFO file for each item and saves it in the same folder.   Now, whenever I've got the odd thumb-twiddling hour here or there, I'm manually editing these .NFO files to copy paste the content of <originaltitle>..</originaltitle> into the <title>...</title> field. 

That allows the native language version of the title to be displayed in Kodi whilst still keeping the plot descriptions in English --which is what I wanted.  Unfortunately there's still a mismatch between these native language titles and the Poster art, as Kodi is still only offering me variations on the posters with the English version of the titles. So I'm having to overcome this in a similar way by dowloading native language Poster art and saving it in the item folder and then using 'local source' for the Poster art.

All a bit painstaking but, as I say, I'm doing it incrementally and, when finished, I should have a more robust library as I'll have a backup of all the info and artworks  saved locally, alongside the media itself.
(2020-06-12, 12:12)stuzbot Wrote: so I've linstalled a plugin [sorry can't remember the name] which, when run on the library, exports a .NFO file for each item and saves it in the same folder.
You certainly don't need a plugin for that. It is a core function of Kodi. See Import-Export in my signature.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-12, 12:30)Karellen Wrote: You certainly don't need a plugin for that...

Sorry. My bad.

I did do it through the built-in function. I misremembered as I'd previously installed a metadata editing plugin to try doing it that way.
If you are interested in a little hack-ery I had done something like this with phil65's script.libraryeditor script.  What it does (normally) is when run, it opens a dialog with various library properties that you can edit with the virtual keyboard.  What I did, was mod it so the "title" and "sorttitle" are pre-filled from the "originaltitle".  So what happens is you navigate to a movie, run the script and a dialog opens and when you select title (or sorttitle) the keyboard has your originaltitle and you just need to hit "OK" and cancel out of the dialog.  Saves having to type anything.

If this sounds worthwhile, here's detailed steps:

1.  download as zip from my github repo (must be the orig_to_title branch) direct link (use the "clone or download" button the page to get as a zip).

2. Install the addon from the zip (note that it will only show up in addons as an orphaned dependency).

3. Bind a key in your keymap to the command Runscript(script.libraryeditor) (I used <F8> globally but it can be anything).

4. Open the videos window with your movies. Scroll to a movie to edit the title:

5. Hit the key you set up to run the script. A dialog box should open:

6. Select any thing to edit (in this case the "title") The keyboard should popup:
with the originaltitle filled for you. So you can edit it or just hit "OK" and it will be saved. The dialog box will load again and you can repeat for the sorttitle if you want, or just escape / backspace out of it. Your title should be changed:

scott s.
(2020-06-13, 21:23)scott967 Wrote: If you are interested in a little hack-ery I had done something like this with phil65's script.libraryeditor script.  
Hello @scott967 
I am very interested in this little hackery Wink
I however get an error when attempting to install the zip:
Quote:"dependency for xbmc python version 2.1 could not be satisfied"
I am running Kodi 19.4 via LibreELEC (10.2) on a Raspi 4 if that matters. Would appreciate a hint if possible? Many thanks regardless!
(2022-10-08, 11:24)houser Wrote:
(2020-06-13, 21:23)scott967 Wrote: If you are interested in a little hack-ery I had done something like this with phil65's script.libraryeditor script.  
Hello @scott967 
I am running Kodi 19.4 via LibreELEC (10.2) on a Raspi 4 if that matters. Would appreciate a hint if possible? Many thanks regardless!
That means the add-on was written in Python 2.x.  Kodi 19 and later use Python 3, so the add-on has to be rewritten if you want to run it in any current version of Kodi.
(2022-10-08, 12:36)pkscout Wrote:
Hello @scott967 
That means the add-on was written in Python 2.x.  Kodi 19 and later use Python 3, so the add-on has to be rewritten if you want to run it in any current version of Kodi.
I am not the original author (phill65) but he seems inactive and I have updated a number of his addons for Matrix and following.  You can get current script.libraryeditor 0.9.0+matrix.3 from github here: https://github.com/scott967/script.libra...2Bmatrix.3

scott s.
(2022-10-08, 12:36)pkscout Wrote:
Hello @scott967 
Thanks for reply and apologies for late reply. Missed the notification. Maybe it can be updated for Nexus at some point, as that just went RC. Many thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Howto Preserve Original Language Titles [and Posters]0