transform an ordinary TV into a smart TV
Good morning, everyone, 

I've just read an article on kodi, and I came across a sentence that intrigues me greatly: "Kodi's customization possibilities make it possible to transform an ordinary TV set into a smart TV". 

I'd really like to understand how that's possible because I have an old TV (but that old, but it's not a smart TV) in my room that I'd be happy to turn into a smart TV  Smile Smile

PS: I apologize in advance if I didn't post in the right place...

Thanks for your answers.
(2020-06-03, 15:21)vivelasieste Wrote: Good morning, everyone, 

I've just read an article on kodi, and I came across a sentence that intrigues me greatly: "Kodi's customization possibilities make it possible to transform an ordinary TV set into a smart TV". 

I'd really like to understand how that's possible because I have an old TV (but that old, but it's not a smart TV) in my room that I'd be happy to turn into a smart TV  Smile Smile

Thanks for your answers.
A smart tv has access to things like catchup tv , netflix, amazon prime over the network. 

A box running kodi, can run some of these types of services. 

Although, in my opinion, an android device, would be easier. You can of course install kodi to an android box  as well.
(2020-06-03, 15:21)vivelasieste Wrote: I'd really like to understand how that's possible because I have an old TV (but that old, but it's not a smart TV) in my room that I'd be happy to turn into a smart TV

Perhaps you can to first tell us what you would need from a smart TV.
A look at the Kodi About webpage should give you a first indicator.
(2020-06-03, 16:34)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2020-06-03, 15:21)vivelasieste Wrote: Good morning, everyone, 

Thanks for your answers.
A smart tv has access to things like catchup tv , netflix, amazon prime over the network. 

A box running kodi, can run some of these types of services. 

Although, in my opinion, an android device, would be easier. You can of course install kodi to an android box  as well.
Wow, that's great. Thank you for your feedback. 

@Klojum l
Actually, "all" all I need is access to youtube and netflix.
Netflix is possible, for using Youtube via Kodi you will need a personal API key.
(2020-06-04, 14:18)Klojum Wrote: Netflix is possible, for using Youtube via Kodi you will need a personal API key.

Is an API key complicated to use or install? 

I apologize for my questions which may sound silly but I really don't know anything about it.
How to get and set up a YouTube API key in the YouTube addon.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
can you tell us what model your not-so-old TV is? Smile
It's a 24-inch Samsung, but I couldn't tell you what model. 

But on *BLEEP*, there are a lot of proposals, so it could be my lead for the next purchase.

*url removed by moderator *
(2020-07-24, 13:15)nines8919 Wrote: It's a 24-inch Samsung, but I couldn't tell you what model. 

Are you always talking to yourself on internet forums..?
Also, spamming our forum with unrelated commercial sales crap is really not appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
transform an ordinary TV into a smart TV0