Android New Android TV Dongle from Google & Stick from Xiaomi
- Google 'Sabrina' Dongle; with UI changes as well (Expected to be $80 or less)
- Xiaomi 4K Mi TV Stick (Expected to be $80)
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Hopefully Google's AMLogic chipset based Dongle finally fixes long standing Bootloader bugs originating from AMLogic code that results in all sorts of HDMI CEC problems you see widely reported across - now a lot of cheap Android TV devices. The new TiVo Dongle was the latest device to have these issues.

The CoreELEC guys have been bug busting this buggy CEC code for a while now.

Mmh, they did very well on the Cube - therefore not sure every box is affected. Perhaps only the "reference boxes" that copy AML design and their SW while just recompiling it?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2020-06-06, 11:48)fritsch Wrote: Mmh, they did very well on the Cube - therefore not sure every box is affected. Perhaps only the "reference boxes" that copy AML design and their SW while just recompiling it?

Yes that would be exactly what has happened. Git Pull, Compile, Release with stuff all pre release HDMI device testing.

Amazon do have a hell of a lot more developer resources to throw at potential serious problems - and they do not want major problems when devices are sold in the Millions of units.

Finally another stand alone device from Google. Curious to see what it can do. Would love to see it have Ethernet, but at least hopefully a USB port, last I looked I didn't think we had shots of the full device.
(2020-06-06, 19:46)lightsout Wrote: Finally another stand alone device from Google. Curious to see what it can do. Would love to see it have Ethernet, but at least hopefully a USB port, last I looked I didn't think we had shots of the full device.

My guess is that it will have a USB OTG power port like the Chromecast, which allows for an external USB Ethernet connection. (Google sell an optional PSU with integrated Ethernet socket for their Chromecasts, which is bundled with the Ultra ISTR)

This could either be a USB Type-C or a USB 2.0 Micro Type-B I guess?
Manufacturers are clearly catering to the mostly the streaming crowd with dongles and sticks, but wish they’d also release boxes with gigabit ethernet, at least 16GB of onboard storage and more power for the rest of us (like the FTV Cube). Given how continually new Chinese boxes come out and the 2019 Shield Pro going for crazy prices on eBay (with the current supply problem), there has to be a decent market for them.
Agreed it would be nice to see a true rival to the shield. Many come close but always lack something. I just wish the shield tube was $99 it would be a much better buy.

They really hit us hard with current pricing even before the gouging.
Im very curious for the sabrina one.
This could be a shield killer no? Although its lets strong...
(2020-06-28, 15:07)Skank Wrote: Im very curious for the sabrina one.

Possibly a rival to the Shield TV (aka 'The Tube') but possibly less so to the Shield TV Pro which has USB 3.0 and GigE connectivity as standard.  

If the Google Sabrina dongle has a USB Type-C port that allows for a neat hub (similar to those used on USB Type-C laptops) adding USB 3.0 and GigE then that might make it neatly upgradeable?
(2020-06-28, 18:53)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-28, 15:07)Skank Wrote: Im very curious for the sabrina one.

Possibly a rival to the Shield TV (aka 'The Tube') but possibly less so to the Shield TV Pro which has USB 3.0 and GigE connectivity as standard.  

If the Google Sabrina dongle has a USB Type-C port that allows for a neat hub (similar to those used on USB Type-C laptops) adding USB 3.0 and GigE then that might make it neatly upgradeable?

Not sure about neatly. But one would hope to have that ability.

I'm also interested in this device. WiFi only is a big negative imo though.

Seems like we may have conflicting infomation about the Mi Stick
There are two version of the Stick, the poverty spec, slow 1GB RAM version with the same GPU vs the existing Mi Boxes.
Which everyone should AVOID

Then there is the AML S905Y2 2GB RAM version that has a much better ARM Mali-G31 GPU and snappier CPU package.

(2020-07-03, 04:29)wrxtasy Wrote: There are two version of the Stick, the poverty spec, slow 1GB RAM version with the same GPU vs the existing Mi Boxes.
Which everyone should AVOID

Then there is the AML S905Y2 2GB RAM version that has a much better ARM Mali-G31 GPU and snappier CPU package.
Anyway to tell the difference between the 2 yet?
News about the Xiaomi mi TV Stick:
https://9to5google.com/2020/07/09/xiaomi...xing-leak/

There are 2 Versions of it:
HD: Micro USB, 1GB RAM
4K: USB-C, 2GB RAM
TV: Metz Novum 55 OLED Made in Germany | UHD BD Player: Sony UBP-X700 | Streaming Player: Apple TV 4K (2. Gen), Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), Xiaomi Mi Box 3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Android TV Dongle from Google & Stick from Xiaomi0