• 3(current)
Android Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box
(2020-07-08, 02:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: It recognizes it alright but the burning tool is not..

Wow.. as much excited as I was, this is turning out to be pretty bad I really wish I had gone the odroid route now.. I have wasted pretty much an entire day on this.

If your computer "sees" your device, but not the burning tool.  Try a different version of the USB Burning Tool.  It does make a difference on some Amlogic boxes.
Also, your homemade cable should have 4 pairs of wires that you twisted together..  Two pairs are for charging and two pairs are for communication (at least that was the way it was done in the olden days).
Don't have that particular box, but some boxes you have to connect the power to the box as you connect to the computer.  Most have a reset button, you have to depress as you connect to the OTG USB 2 port on your device.......
(2020-07-08, 04:31)clarkss12 Wrote: Don't have that particular box, but some boxes you have to connect the power to the box as you connect to the computer.  Most have a reset button, you have to depress as you connect to the OTG USB 2 port on your device.......

Yeah ugoos instructions were pretty bad. I managed to figure it out and got it up and running.

The remote is terrible. I will probably use a flirc with it. But I can’t seem to figure out the keyboard shortcut for android restart menu (so I can boot to CoreElec)

It’s a pain to do it with the remote provided.
Also the Cae partition is only 2GB and I actually got the 32GB version.. I thought it would be evenly split. it’s a massive disappointment they told me they can’t do it. The support has so far been a mixed bag.
(2020-07-08, 05:38)ozkhan1 Wrote: The remote is terrible. I will probably use a flirc with it. But I can’t seem to figure out the keyboard shortcut for android restart menu (so I can boot to CoreElec)

Just get a WeChip G30S Infra Red learning remote. It will make it MUCH easier to use Android and CE then due to it’s mini RF dongle you simply Plug in.
You are asking for trouble and unnecessary complications going the FLIRC Infra Red Route route.

Quote:It’s a pain to do it with the remote provided.
Also the CE partition is only 2GB and I actually got the 32GB version.. I thought it would be evenly split. it’s a massive disappointment

Use the great Android (TV) ROM images for the AM6 found over on Freaktab. The CE partition on them from memory is 4GB.
You could prob even request to the dev. for a bigger partition.

(2020-07-08, 11:29)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-07-08, 05:38)ozkhan1 Wrote: The remote is terrible. I will probably use a flirc with it. But I can’t seem to figure out the keyboard shortcut for android restart menu (so I can boot to CoreElec)

Just get a WeChip G30S Infra Red learning remote. It will make it MUCH easier to use Android and CE then due to it’s mini RF dongle you simply Plug in.
You are asking for trouble and unnecessary complications going the FLIRC Infra Red Route route.

Quote:It’s a pain to do it with the remote provided.
Also the CE partition is only 2GB and I actually got the 32GB version.. I thought it would be evenly split. it’s a massive disappointment

Use the great Android (TV) ROM images for the AM6 found over on Freaktab. The CE partition on them from memory is 4GB.
You could prob even request to the dev. for a bigger partition.

I need to control the smart apps on the tv with an IR remote so Bluetooth is not an option (netflix, youtube, Et al)

I have managed to find solutions to most of the annoyances using some key mapping apps and usb storage for Kodi addon data, thumbnails etc.
I think I’m ok for now although a proper atv rom sounds appealing.
@wrxtasy, can you link me to the freak tab atv firmware, please? I googled but was unable to locate it. Thx.
Performance wise it’s too early to say if I’d prefer it over appletv, but CoreElec with full Kodi capability is awesome...

I will use android mainly for emulators and gaming and the boot to different OS times are barely noticeable. Less than 15 seconds .. and I don’t have to worry about expanding storage for either android or Kodi.

It updated CE without issues but I couldn’t get the android update for some strange reason to work...

All in all, it took a while to get up and running, I’ll test it out some more in the next few days..

Thx all for your help..
Here is a good place to start for different firmware's....... You will need Google translate.........

https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopi...ry95594787
(2020-07-08, 11:52)ozkhan1 Wrote: @wrxtasy, can you link me to the freak tab atv firmware, please? I googled but was unable to locate it. Thx.

First thread found over on Freaktab forums HERE (click)

Once you have Flashed the ROM initially via whatever means works.
TWRP recovery is available which makes backups and further Firmware updates much easier via a simple .zip update file.

(2020-07-09, 06:34)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-07-08, 11:52)ozkhan1 Wrote: @wrxtasy, can you link me to the freak tab atv firmware, please? I googled but was unable to locate it. Thx.

TWRP recovery is available which makes backups and further Firmware updates much easier via a simple .zip update file.

Cheers, mate.
I was able to flash it and it’s a big relief. I finally have more space for CE.
Android part is a bit finicky and honestly it’s not truly android tv. But I am not bothered about it so much.. it’s just for games.

So everytime I want to update it, I just grab the zip file and upload it through the usb burn tool (same way Used to flash the device) or is the update process different?
Thx for all your help. CE works beautifully..
(2020-07-09, 08:37)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2020-07-09, 06:34)wrxtasy Wrote:

Cheers, mate.
I was able to flash it and it’s a big relief. I finally have more space for CE.
Android part is a bit finicky and honestly it’s not truly android tv. But I am not bothered about it so much.. it’s just for games.

So everytime I want to update it, I just grab the zip file and upload it through the usb burn tool (same way Used to flash the device) or is the update process different?
Thx for all your help. CE works beautifully..
TWRP has it's own interface, if its like Android phones you just put the rom file on a usb drive, boot into TWRP and flash the rom. No need for an extra device to do the flashing from.
This is pretty new, might even be a first - with a DolbyVision licensed AMLogic S922XJ chipset device using....

Kodi 18.6 and a Ugoos AM6 Plus, playing back DolbyVision Profile 7 test clips:

See HERE (click) over at the MakeMKV forums.

My German is not that good...
If my memory is correct Profile 7 is Dual Layer ?

This would be possible because DV content would be detected and handled at an (AMLogic) Linux Kernel level - regardless of which media player software were used.

Smile

(2020-07-17, 10:00)wrxtasy Wrote: This is pretty new, might even be a first - with a DolbyVision licensed AMLogic S922XJ chipset device using....

Kodi 18.6 and a Ugoos AM6 Plus, playing back DolbyVision Profile 7 test clips:

See HERE (click) over at the MakeMKV forums.

My German is not that good...
If my memory is correct Profile 7 is Dual Layer ?

This would be possible because DV content would be detected and handled at an (AMLogic) Linux Kernel level - regardless of which media player software were used.

Smile
Same post here Wink [link]
But it looks like, wrapper is used.
I’m starting to dig this box... I got the 4gb ram and 32 gb storage and in using the dual boot for android games and steam and emulators and CoreElec for everything else.. it’s on par and sometimes better than Apple TV with the upscaling and video quality.. snappy little bugger.. cost a pretty penny but does what I want..
Hey guys,

a pro has recomedt me to ask in this thread for information about the ugoos player.
I have a minix u9 at the moment with wich i am lucky, but it can t be bad to have more power for my emulation hobby and better hd amd hdr support.
Therefore the ugoos player is possibil interesting for me.
What i need:
The posiblity to just install a stock kodi from the google play store and autoframerate switching is working, like with me minix u9.
Then i need a working trwp or rommanager for backups. This is esential, otherwise android is not usable for me. With time its gets broken often and i don t have the time to set it back to recovery settings and install and configure everything again, and again.
I will do this once, then i want to have a backup like twrp or rommanager that i can fast and easy recover my system.
Root is also needed, you never know; )
I also can liefe with it if i mus flash usw the device, to have that functionality, but it shoukd not be more difficulut like it was with my u9 to have this things.
Can you please answer, if this things are psossibil with the ugoos player?
Thank you.
(2020-07-18, 14:50)playerdude Wrote: Can you please answer, if this things are possible with the ugoos player?
Thank you.

All your answers are found over in the Ugoos AM6 Android TV ROM thread found HERE (click)

Such as....

TWRP = Yes
Kodi HD audio passthrough = Yes
Kodi auto Frame Rate /Refresh Switching = Yes
Root Toggle = Yes built into Ugoos Firmware already (see the pictures)
Dual Boot Android / CoreELEC = Yes

There are a bunch of other additions as well like a SAMBA server and Gamepad adjustable settings, see HERE (click)

The key here is - excellent - Manufacturer after sales and community support.

Ugoos are on to a winner with their family of AM6, X2 / X3 Cube devices.

They deserve all the praise coming their way. Smile

Even the cheaper Ugoos X3 Cube / Plus / Pro would give you what you want with the same quality Firmware and features.
See HERE (click) for details.

W.

• 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box0