Different instances of KODI working differently
Hi, I have three KODI installations; two on an HTPC at home, (1) my old/original regular 17.3 version and an (2) 18.6 portable version. In addition I have a (3) PC to be used in my cabin, with an 18.6 regular installation. My content consists mainly of ripped DVD movies, ripped in their original file structure using AnyDVD.

All three have their sources set up my NAS at home. All three connect to the NAS and update their libraries successfully. However, the two version on my HTPC (1 and 2) scrape my movies successfully, whereas my cabin PC (3) makes a mess of things when scraping the exact same folders. Where 1 and 2 finds only one movie in each folder (with the 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' set to off), using recursive scanning, and the same the same settings for the Movie Database as information provider, on 3 the following happens:

a) For each movie as many instances of the movie as there are .BUP files in the VIDEO_TS sub-folder of the movie name folder are shown. 
b) For each movie (i.e. as many times as there are movies in the library) the movie Video Girls (2011) is shown.

Something must be causing these three instances to behave differently, and given that 1 and 2 behave the same, and are on the same HTPC, but 2 and 3 behave differently, and are on different PCs, but the same 18.6 version, I believe there is somethign on the HTPC with 1 and 2 telling KODI to scrape correctly, and this is missing from 3. I initially thought it had something to do with my advancedsettings.xml files, but

i) I have placed the same advancedsettings.xml file in both AppData, userfiles folders, and
ii) The advancedsettings.xml  seem to only address the scraping of TV Shows:

xml:
<advancedsettings>
     <tvshowmatching action="append">
          <regexp>[\\/\._ \[\(-]([0-9]+)x([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]bdmv)?[\\/]index\.bdmv)$</regexp>
          <regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[ ._-]*[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)?[\\/]video_ts\.ifo)$</regexp>
     </tvshowmatching>
     <video>
          <excludefromscan>
               <regexp>[-\._ ](extrafanart|trailer|extrathumbs)[-\._ ]</regexp>
          </excludefromscan>
               <excludefromlisting><!-- Regular expressions that if evaluated to true won't be displayed in Files View -->
                    <regexp>[-._ \\/](extrafanart|trailer|extrathumbs)[-._ \\/]</regexp>
               </excludefromlisting>
          <excludefromscan action="append">
                    <regexp>/extras/</regexp>
                    <regexp>[\\/]extras[\\/]</regexp>
          </excludefromscan>
                <excludetvshowsfromscan action="append">
                    <regexp>[\\/](auxdata|backup|clipinf|playlist|stream|certificate)[\\/]</regexp>
                    <regexp>movieobject\.bdmv</regexp>
                    <regexp>/extras/</regexp>
                    <regexp>[\\/]extras[\\/]</regexp>
          </excludetvshowsfromscan>
     </video>
</advancedsettings> 

Does anyone have a good explanation as to why 3 is doing it incorrectly, and how/why 1 and 2 are doing it differently and correctly?
Provide a Debug Log from the Kodi that makes a mess.

Also, enable the setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title".

Why do you think it is the .bup file? Could it also be the .ifo file? Test again after removing this line from your advancedsettings.xml file...
<regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[ ._-]*[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?:(?:[\\/]video_ts)?[\\/]video_ts\.ifo)$</regexp>
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-11, 00:17)Karellen Wrote: Provide a Debug Log from the Kodi that makes a mess.

Also, enable the setting "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title".

Why do you think it is the .bup file? Could it also be the .ifo file? Test again after removing this line from your advancedsettings.xml file...
<regexp>[Ss]([0-9]+)[ ._-]*[Ee]([0-9]+)([^\\/]*)(?Sad?:[\\/]video_ts)?[\\/]video_ts\.ifo)$</regexp>

Thanks Karellen! I am struggling a bit with the debug log, the Uploader says the log is too large..

Meanwhile, re "Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title". I have tried both, and both 'Scan recursively' and not (in fact all four combination, with no change in effect as far as I can tell).

I don't necessarily think the .BUP files cause the issue (in fact I don't even know what they are), but I note that the number of instances of the movie shown by KODI after a library update exactly matched the number of .BUP files in the folder of that movie, so there is a clear and 100% correlation. But you are right, the number of IFO-files is the same as the number of .BUP files (but didn't have an .IFO visible, so didn't see them until I used Detailed View), so the correlation there is the same, and maybe the causation?

I will try to change the advancedsettingsfile.xml as you suggest, but I thought this applied only to TV Shows (which scrape fine), not Movies?

I will revert with a Log File is I figure out how to reduce its size, and the results of changing the advancedsettings.xml....
(2020-06-11, 08:20)cgroth Wrote: I will try to change the advancedsettingsfile.xml as you suggest, but I thought this applied only to TV Shows (which scrape fine), not Movies?
Ah yes, you are correct and applies to tv shows only. I'll wait for the Debug Log. If you are using Windows, then manually locate the log file and paste it into Kodi Paste Site. Break it up into two if you need to.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-11, 08:28)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-11, 08:20)cgroth Wrote: I will try to change the advancedsettingsfile.xml as you suggest, but I thought this applied only to TV Shows (which scrape fine), not Movies?
Ah yes, you are correct and applies to tv shows only. I'll wait for the Debug Log. If you are using Windows, then manually locate the log file and paste it into Kodi Paste Site. Break it up into two if you need to.

OK, I won't change the advancedsettings.xml file then.
I will try to find the log manually and see if I can upload it...
I don't think I have tried this before, does it work?

https://paste.kodi.tv/yesayilica.kodi
https://paste.kodi.tv/ogujahebeh.kodi
https://paste.kodi.tv/tijenegaxe.kodi
https://paste.kodi.tv/cudojovoke.kodi
https://paste.kodi.tv/egikojunoc.kodi
https://paste.kodi.tv/biqasubati.kodi

These are the parts of the log in the correct order. Thanks so much for your help!!!
Yep, that works. Though you can fit about 12,000 lines in one log for next time.

What network protocol are you using? Can you move your DVD to a local drive and try scraping it into the library. Problem still there?

Its been so long since someone asked about DVD format, most people convert to mkv (same quality), but I vaguely recall an issue with dvd's and one of the network protocols.

. .
My Signature
(2020-06-11, 09:05)Karellen Wrote: Yep, that works. Though you can fit about 12,000 lines in one log for next time.

What network protocol are you using? Can you move your DVD to a local drive and try scraping it into the library. Problem still there?

Its been so long since someone asked about DVD format, most people convert to mkv (same quality), but I vaguely recall an issue with dvd's and one of the network protocols.

Aha, this is where of course there is a difference, as PC 3 is located at my cabin and reaches the NAS over WebDAV (HTTP) whereas 1 and 2 finds the NAS on the local network.

Using SMB made it work properly, however this means I cannot access my NAS when not on my local network, which sort of defeats the purpose of my $ 5,000 NAS. I have spent a lot of time trying to access my NAS from my cabin, and the only network protocol I succeeded with was WebDAV. As most of you have probably figured out I am not a great tech genius, but I am hoping that the advancedsettings.xml could be adapted to tell KODI how to scrape/grab/organize the files propely, like for the TV Shows? Since there are no Seasons or Episodes to keep in order I expect it would be easier?

Since I have roughly 4.500 DVDs ripped over a 10 year period I think it would simply be too much work to convert to mkv, so if at all possible (at least for now - meaning the next 15 years until I quit work and have more time on my hands) I would rather find a solution that works with the file structure I have.

Crossing my fingers that some genius out there can help me come up with a solution!! :-)
Might be worth submitting an Issue report. Use the Bug Tracker button at the top of the page.

Yea 4,500 is way too many to start re-ripping. I found it painful re-ripping my 400+ DVD's and Blurays.
My Signature
Could you test the following.

1. From your working Kodi install, Export your library to Separate Files... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export%20library
2. On your Cabin PC, set the scraper to Local Information Only.
3. Scan a few movies. Do they scan ok?
My Signature
(2020-06-11, 21:30)Karellen Wrote: Could you test the following.

1. From your working Kodi install, Export your library to Separate Files... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export%20library
2. On your Cabin PC, set the scraper to Local Information Only.
3. Scan a few movies. Do they scan ok?

1. Tried scanning with separate movies in separate folders and recursively, same result as before.
2. Tried scanning with separate movies in separate folders, but not recursively. Then it found no movies, tried to stop scanning but not possible, so chose Exit, which crashed KODI, and it keeps crashing afterwards, so uninstalled KODI and starting a new installation.

Should I try with the separate movies in separate folders option set to off, and scan both recursively and not?
Is each movie in a separate folder? If yes, then use Movies are in separate folder.

Leave the recursive settings on its default setting. I think that is enabled.

Did you export your library? Did you set Local Info only?
My Signature
(2020-06-11, 23:11)Karellen Wrote: Is each movie in a separate folder? If yes, then use Movies are in separate folder.

Leave the recursive settings on its default setting. I think that is enabled.

Did you export your library? Did you set Local Info only?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Unfortunately after the crash I lost contact with the NAS using WebDAV. Even tried installing 18.7 Leia, but same result. The NAS itself seems to work fine so right know I am not getting anywhere...  Will try again today to see if I can restore contact. 

All my folders now have an additional System Information File, so the exporting seems successful. Maybe I should have imported, rather than adding source and updating??
(2020-06-12, 07:09)cgroth Wrote: All my folders now have an additional System Information File, so the exporting seems successful. Maybe I should have imported, rather than adding source and updating??
Each movie, tv show and episode should now have an *.nfo file sitting next to the video file, named exactly the same.

A simple Library Update will scan the NFO files. Import is for Single file export only, and won't work with nfo files.

Once you sort out the connection issue, let us know what happens.

If you are still getting multiple movie files scraped from the internet, then I cannot see how that is possible as the setting Local Information Only prevents online lookups, so it means your setting is incorrect. With the correct setting, the only thing the Kodi scanner will find is that single nfo file in your movie folder, so that is all that can be scanned into the library- a single library entry for that movie.

If you later change from Local Info Only setting to a scraper and run a library update, then the multiple movies will most likely be scraped again, so your cabin install will need to remain as Local Info Only for those Sources that hold the DVD's. Adding other sources that don't have DVD folder type movies can still use the scrapers.
My Signature
(2020-06-12, 07:26)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-12, 07:09)cgroth Wrote: All my folders now have an additional System Information File, so the exporting seems successful. Maybe I should have imported, rather than adding source and updating??
Each movie, tv show and episode should now have an *.nfo file sitting next to the video file, named exactly the same.

A simple Library Update will scan the NFO files. Import is for Single file export only, and won't work with nfo files.

Once you sort out the connection issue, let us know what happens.

If you are still getting multiple movie files scraped from the internet, then I cannot see how that is possible as the setting Local Information Only prevents online lookups, so it means your setting is incorrect. With the correct setting, the only thing the Kodi scanner will find is that single nfo file in your movie folder, so that is all that can be scanned into the library- a single library entry for that movie.

If you later change from Local Info Only setting to a scraper and run a library update, then the multiple movies will most likely be scraped again, so your cabin install will need to remain as Local Info Only for those Sources that hold the DVD's. Adding other sources that don't have DVD folder type movies can still use the scrapers.

No longer able to connect, cannot see how me pressing Exit on KODI (on the software, not the physical off button on the PC) during scanning has caused my broken connection, but KODI can no longer connect using WebDAV, even on a brand new and updated installation!! I can connect fine on SMB, but that will not work when I am at my cabin, so for some reason it seems this will not work. Unfortunately I am not enough of an IT-guy to see if the problem is with KODI, my KODI installations, my PC or my NAS, but I know that:

1. The PC otherwise appears to be OK and has a network connection
2. The NAS is connected to the network and accessible from my other computers over SMB
3. The NAS reports that everything is fine and that it is ready to be connected to from an external source (and no changes where made to the NAS before,during or after the KODI crash)

So for now I am not getting anywhere... I might see if I can get another PC to test the same, just to eliminate the PC as the source of the problem, but I don't think that is likely?

Meanwhile I did test using Local Info Only over the SMB and it found nothing!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different instances of KODI working differently0