Best network protocol for KODI to externally access a Synology NAS
(2020-06-14, 10:15)DarrenHill Wrote: Didn't we already have this discussion?

If WebDAV isn't working well for you, the other recommendation here would be to connect your cabin PC back to your Synology via a VPN and you can then use it as if it was connected directly onto your home network. The Synology can host an OpenVPN server (via VPN server package from the package centre), and you can grab an OpenVPN client from the internet.

Setting that up is outside what we support here (as it's all done entirely outside of Kodi), but it will do what you want as you can then use SMB or NFS like normal, as your cabin PC will effectively become part of the local network in the same way that your devices at home are.

Any other route will end up as either complicated, potentially very insecure or in the worst case both.

Hi Darren,

yes we did have this conversation, but although the VPN solution you outlined sounds perfect I wasn't able to make it work, I am simply not at that level of technological sophistication. It seems I will need to install some additional software (I believe that is what you refer to as "an OpenVPN client". I tried googling OpenVPN but when trying to access the search results my browser told me the connection was insecure and refused to connect. But since WebDAV doesn't seem to work I might have to revisit, although I much would prefer a solution that wouldn't require any additional software other than what's on the Synology and built into KODI.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best network protocol for KODI to externally access a Synology NAS - by cgroth - 2020-06-16, 08:39
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best network protocol for KODI to externally access a Synology NAS0