Solved SMB1 File Access Kodi / Pop OS
So,

My shitty little Intel NUC doesn't play well with windows and Kodi, so i decided to put pop os onto it.
The issue i have now ran into is that i can't access the SMB share or NFS on this OS and notice that it's a common issue for other linux distros as well.

I get the the following error message when trying to mount.
"Failed to mount Windows Share: Software caused connection Abort"

This is also similar message in Kodi when doing the same thing.

I have not been able to find a solution hence posting here.

OS Version: 20.04LTS

I have also tried seeing if there is a way to update the smb version on my NAS which i have also failed to find due to the age.
NAS: NSS 324 Smart Storage
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Please let me know if you need any more info.
(2020-06-13, 00:55)Fallen Soull Wrote: The issue i have now ran into is that i can't access the SMB share or NFS on this OS and notice that it's a common issue for other linux distros as well.
Wait...are we talking about accessing SMB/NFS inside Kodi or via the OS side? Generally both is not a problem for common OSs. But if you decide to use a niche OS, then that's for sure up to you. 

As Pop OS is based on Ubuntu, I would probably take a look at the fiirewall settings if you can't access any of those shares. 

(2020-06-13, 00:55)Fallen Soull Wrote: Failed to mount Windows Share: Software caused connection Abort
That's the error while trying to access a SMB share. What's the error you get while accessing NFS shares?

While using SMB, I would take a look which SMB protocoll is in use. There should at least be an option to decide if you want to use SMB1 or SMB2 (that's NOT!! the SMB version. You are able to use SMB2 with Samba4, where the first is the protocoll and the 2nd is the Samba version). If you can't change the protocoll and only SMB1 is available, then I would take a look at the samba configuration on your Pop OS and configure it in a way to only use SMB1. 

I also would try to use system mounts only instead of letting Kodi mount those shares. I'm able to assist on getting NFS shares to work as I'm more familiar with NFS rather than with SMB. So, on your Pop OS, please get me the output of: 

showmount -e <NAS_IP_here>

to see, which NFS shares are available on that NAS.
(2020-06-13, 00:55)Fallen Soull Wrote: The issue i have now ran into is that i can't access the SMB share or NFS on this OS and notice that it's a common issue for other linux distros as well.

NFS requires nfs-kernel-server to be installed in Ubuntu, and have your shares set up via /etc/exports. Then finalize/activate the NFS shares via sudo update-grub2.
SMB I never really touched in Ubuntu, as NFS has always done the job for me.
(2020-06-13, 07:06)Klojum Wrote:

NFS requires nfs-kernel-server to be installed in Ubuntu, and have your shares set up via /etc/exports. Then finalize/activate the NFS shares via sudo update-grub2.
SMB I never really touched in Ubuntu, as NFS has always done the job for me.
Sorry i am not sure what you really mean.

So you are saying that i need to install nfs-kernel-server on a machine that is accesses a NAS for the media?

I have gone back to my nsf share for Kodi on my xbox and OSMC Pi which works like a charm. So if you could point me to an article or another thread that has a guide for NFS, that would be good.

Quote:Wait...are we talking about accessing SMB/NFS inside Kodi or via the OS side? Generally both is not a problem for common OSs. But if you decide to use a niche OS, then that's for sure up to you. 
Yeah we are talking about access inside Kodi. But it wont mount inside kodi neither. What OS would you suggest then, i am only some what familiar with debian distros.
Quote:While using SMB, I would take a look which SMB protocoll is in use. There should at least be an option to decide if you want to use SMB1 or SMB2 (that's NOT!! the SMB version. You are able to use SMB2 with Samba4, where the first is the protocoll and the 2nd is the Samba version). If you can't change the protocoll and only SMB1 is available, then I would take a look at the samba configuration on your Pop OS and configure it in a way to only use SMB1. 
I can use other protocals such as NFS and this is what i have been using for awhile on my other devices. However, i have mounted the NAS with FTP to access other resources o it. SMB1 is the only option on this NAS due to it's age.

Quote:I also would try to use system mounts only instead of letting Kodi mount those shares. I'm able to assist on getting NFS shares to work as I'm more familiar with NFS rather than with SMB. So, on your Pop OS, please get me the output of: 

showmount -e <NAS_IP_here>

to see, which NFS shares are available on that NAS.
i know what shares are available. When trying to mount NFS i get "Permissions denied: Perhaps this host is disallowed or Privileged port is needed"
I meant "sudo exportfs -a", not the grub thing.
(2020-06-13, 09:59)Klojum Wrote: I meant "sudo exportfs -a", not the grub thing.
Command no found.

Stuff like this is what has always made be go back to windows.
To clarify some things.....

"nfs-kernel-server" is only needed if you want the OS to mount the NFS shares (via sudo mount -t nfs <ip>:<path/to/share> <local_mountpoint> ) and that's also needed for the "showmount"-command I asked for. So it doesn't hurt if you install that. 

The "exportfs"-command is probably not needed if the NAS already shares folders via NFS. If not, it might be necessary and that has to be triggered on the NAS itself. Not sure if you are able to SSH into that NAS. If those NFS do already exist (the "showmount"-command will tell us), then you don't need to bother with "exportfs". The NAS will also trigger that automatically if you create a new NFS share. So command-line interaction might not be needed. 

(2020-06-13, 09:37)Fallen Soull Wrote: What OS would you suggest then, i am only some what familiar with debian distros.

If this machine is for Kodi only, then I would suggest LibreELEC as you don't seem to be very familiar with Linux at all (no offense). If you want that machine to do more stuff, then I would suggest plain Ubuntu and not one of its derivates. If you don't know what you are doing, then things might get more complicated for you and Ubuntu has a larger community than PopOS. 

(2020-06-13, 09:37)Fallen Soull Wrote: SMB1 is the only option on this NAS due to it's age.
If that's the case then you have to configure your NUC to do the same. Google for samba-config and something like "min/max client version". But if it would be my machines, then I would not use SMB at all Wink

(2020-06-13, 09:37)Fallen Soull Wrote: i know what shares are available.
Good that YOU know it. Don't you think it would be good for us to know that as well so we are able to help you and give you the specific commands? If not, it's up to you to not share that info. But help might be limited then. 

(2020-06-13, 09:37)Fallen Soull Wrote: When trying to mount NFS i get "Permissions denied: Perhaps this host is disallowed or Privileged port is needed"
Your OS probably tries to mount NFSv4 what your NAS might not support. Try it with forcing to mount NFSv3. IIRC the command has to look like: sudo mount -t nfs -o vers=3 ....... or something similar.
(2020-06-13, 10:09)Fallen Soull Wrote: Command no found.

Please stop that route. That won't lead to anywhere. Install nfs-kernel-server-package via "sudo apt install" and then get me the the output of: showmount -e <your_NAS_IP_here>
(2020-06-13, 10:22)DaVu Wrote:
(2020-06-13, 10:09)Fallen Soull Wrote: Command no found.

Please stop that route. That won't lead to anywhere. Install nfs-kernel-server-package via "sudo apt install" and then get me the the output of: showmount -e <your_NAS_IP_here>
Export list for <IP Address>:
/Web                    
/Usb                    
/USBDisk1               
/Public                 
/Network Recycle Bin 1  
/Multimedia             
/Download               
/Data <-------- DATA SAVED IN HERE

So my NFS share would look like this for the full path: nfs://<ip Address>/Data/Data/Videos/Movies or nfs://<ip Address>/Data/Data/Videos/Shows
What subfolder(s) does that "Data" folder has?

And for the record...you don't need to "hide" your IP address Wink It's an internal address anyway and we can't do anything with that. My IP for my NAS is 192.168.1.175....and you are not able to do anything with that info Wink
Quote:What subfolder(s) does that "Data" folder has?
Backups 
Development
Documents 
Downloads 
Graphics 
Music 
Pictures 
Videos

Quote:And for the record...you don't need to "hide" your IP address Wink It's an internal address anyway and we can't do anything with that. My IP for my NAS is 192.168.1.175....and you are not able to do anything with that info Wink
Yeah i know. its just me being me.
ok, and I guess you have a matching structure under the "Videos"-folder which then has additional subfolders for movies and TV shows.

ok, so let's try something:

Create a mountpoint via: 
sudo mkdir -p /media/Data

Try to mount the share via: 
sudo mount -t nfs <NAS_IP>:/Data /media/Data

If you get an error message, please show me the full output of that message

If you want to go any further, it might be very helpful to see the content of your exports-file from your NAS. So SSH into your NAS and get me the content of: /etc/exports
Quote:ok, and I guess you have a matching structure under the "Videos"-folder which then has additional subfolders for movies and TV shows.
Yes you would be correct
Quote:ok, so let's try something:

Create a mountpoint via: 
sudo mkdir -p /media/Data

Try to mount the share via: 
sudo mount -t nfs <NAS_IP>:/Data /media/Data

If you get an error message, please show me the full output of that message
Yeah that mounted the Data folder

Quote:If you want to go any further, it might be very helpful to see the content of your exports-file from your NAS. So SSH into your NAS and get me the content of: /etc/exports
I am not show how to show the contect. VIM, Nano don't work on my nas. I am using putting (windows) to SSH in as i am unsure on how to on linux.
(2020-06-13, 11:12)Fallen Soull Wrote: Yeah that mounted the Data folder

Cool....then add that entry to your fstab and let the OS mount the shares. Inside Kodi you are then able to navigate to /media/Data and add specific subfolders as sources. 

While adding the mount to your fstab file, your OS will automatically mount those shares during boot.

And as your OS is able to mount those shares fine, Kodi should be able to mount those as well. Simply use the "Videos" -> "Files" -> "Add video sources" section, then select "NFS" which should show the IP if your NAS and while selecting that, you should see your "Data" folder and also its subfolders. 

Generally, if you would like Kodi to mount them, then I would recommend to add shares for each source. In meaning, create a share for "movies" and another one for "tvshows". That keeps it clean and you have to split those anyway for Kodi being able to scrape them. 

But OS mounts will do the story as well.
(2020-06-13, 11:25)DaVu Wrote:
(2020-06-13, 11:12)Fallen Soull Wrote: Yeah that mounted the Data folder

Cool....then add that entry to your fstab and let the OS mount the shares. Inside Kodi you are then able to navigate to /media/Data and add specific subfolders as sources. 

Might need to hold my hand on this one. I am unsure of how to do such thing. I have opened a file call fstab but where in the file would i add these mounts?
Also i tried doing the mount as we did with just Data but added the sub Data folder and i got this error:

xml:
andrew@pop-os:~$ sudo mkdir -p /media/Data/Data
[sudo] password for andrew:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for andrew:
andrew@pop-os:~$  sudo mount -t nfs 10.0.0.1:/Data/Data /media/Data
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.0.0.1:/Data/Data
andrew@pop-os:~$ sudo mkdir -p /media/Data/Data

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB1 File Access Kodi / Pop OS0