Unable to import external script to addon default.py within plugin.video.addon folder
I am re-learning how to make Kodi addons. i have the following sample directory structure:

plugin.video.test_addon
    resources
        --> addon_utils.py
    addon.xml
    default.py
    globals.py

On the  default.py when ever i try either of the following commands, I get the assoicated error messages:
  1. from globals import * - ERROR: ImportError: No module named globals
  2. from resources.addon_utils import * - ERROR: ImportError: No module named resources.addon_utils 

As you can see, my question is how do I import scripts within the my plugin.video.addon directory, as currently it is causes the above ImportErrors?

Many Thanks.
The currently shipping version of Kodi is still using a Python 2.7 interpreter (the upcoming Matrix release switches to Python3).  Under Python 2.7 You must have an __init__.py file (even an empty one will work) in every directory you want treated as a module.  I'd suggest moving globals.py to resources and then putting an __init__.py file in the resources folder.  Then you should be able to do:

python:

from resources.global import *
from resources.addon_utils import *
globals is a reserved name in Python.
(2020-06-14, 06:48)pkscout Wrote: The currently shipping version of Kodi is still using a Python 2.7 interpreter (the upcoming Matrix release switches to Python3).  Under Python 2.7 You must have an __init__.py file (even an empty one will work) in every directory you want treated as a module.  I'd suggest moving globals.py to resources and then putting an __init__.py file in the resources folder.  Then you should be able to do:

python:

from resources.global import *
from resources.addon_utils import *
Hi @pkscout,

Thank you very much, your solution to make a blank __init__.py file within the resources folder worked well, as I am now succefully able to import scripts from the resources directory.

Thank you very much for your help Smile
(2020-06-14, 07:21)Roman_V_M Wrote: globals is a reserved name in Python.
Hi @Roman_V_M ,

Thank you for this, I am well aware globals is a reserved name, silly me for using the name as an example instead of something like 'config.py'.

Anyways, the main intent of including the globals.py example was to show that I was having trouble importing a script from either the main 'plugin.video.addon' directory and/or the 'resources' directory aswell.

Really appreciate the advice and the time you gave to read and respond to my post.

Thank you Smile .
There shouldn't be any problems with importing modules located at the same level. As for modules in subfolders, you need either add __init__.py file to convert a subfolder to a Python package or add this subfolder explicitly to sys.path list. BTW, what are your sys.path contents when you are doing the import?
(2020-06-16, 12:37)Roman_V_M Wrote: There shouldn't be any problems with importing modules located at the same level. As for modules in subfolders, you need either add __init__.py file to convert a subfolder to a Python package or add this subfolder explicitly to sys.path list. BTW, what are your sys.path contents when you are doing the import?
Hi @Roman_V_M, sorry for the late reply, having just tested it again I realised that what you said is correct, I am able to import from the same folder any script fine, I am not sue why I thought couldnt at the time. Thank you for your help and sorry for troubling you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to import external script to addon default.py within plugin.video.addon folder0