Need help with audio passthrough
I have a simple need, but can't figure out how to make it happen.

I'm running Kodi on a Pi4 4GB through HDMI through a Denon AVR-X1000 and into a Samsung flatscreen TV.
The receiver allows the HDMI A/V through when it's off, which is how we usually use it, allowing the tv speakers to play Kodi.
This only works if I have Kodi audio output set to 2.0 channels. If I enable 3.0 channels, the dialogue is not played through the TV; obviously, because the TV only has 2 channels.

What I want to happen, is when I turn on the Denon receiver, which is set up with 3 channels (center channel added), I want Kodi to play 3.0 channels. I understand I can go into the settings and switch from one to the other, but I think there's a way for it to happen automagically through a combination of passthrough settings. I'm just not smart (or patient) enough to figure it out. The Kodi wiki is no help at all.

Any advice?
Help me Obi-Wan Community; you're my only hope.
Erik
Kodi Matrix on Raspberry Pi4 4GB Libreelec - Gigabit Ethernet - Served from unRaid shares
Estuary skin - Netflix plug-in (CastagnalT) - Amazon Video Plug-in

Kodi Matrix on Pi4 in the car with USB storage and Mausberry 4A Power supply w/safe shutdown - HiFiBerry Digi+ optical out to Alpine PXA-800
I don't think there's a single set of settings that will get you want you want.  I am kind of surprised that your TV can't take multichannel input and down sample it to 2.0 stereo.  My nearly 8 year Vizio does that.  It might be worth checking the TV settings/manual.

The other kind of solution (and a small piece of self-promotion) is to use the Audio Profiles addon (I didn't write it, but I am maintaining it now).

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Audio_Profiles

This would let you create two profiles and at least be a button click away from switching them.  Audio Profiles does have auto switching, but I don't think any of that will meet you needs, as it's either library based (music, TV shows, movies, etc) or based on the audio of the source (AC3, TruHD, stereo, etc).  It wouldn't be able to tell when you were using the Denon and when you were using the TV.
(2020-06-15, 05:44)pkscout Wrote: I don't think there's a single set of settings that will get you want you want.  I am kind of surprised that your TV can't take multichannel input and down sample it to 2.0 stereo.  My nearly 8 year Vizio does that.  It might be worth checking the TV settings/manual.

The other kind of solution (and a small piece of self-promotion) is to use the Audio Profiles addon (I didn't write it, but I am maintaining it now).

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Audio_Profiles

This would let you create two profiles and at least be a button click away from switching them.  Audio Profiles does have auto switching, but I don't think any of that will meet you needs, as it's either library based (music, TV shows, movies, etc) or based on the audio of the source (AC3, TruHD, stereo, etc).  It wouldn't be able to tell when you were using the Denon and when you were using the TV.

Thanks for the reply.
I checked my TV's settings. It is an older Samsung, and I'm the type to refuse buying smart TV's for the added price with the crap extra functionality of the manufacturer's version of a media center. Not even sure if it has ARC. There is a setting to interpret multichannel as stereo, but it's apparently on that setting already, and it isn't selectable anyway. I may play around with putting the tv in the chain before the receiver (I've got a cool little Flirc Kodi case for my Pi4 that is currently hiding in the stereo cabinet that I wouldn't mind on display), but I think there was a reason I wasn't doing that already that I don't remember...

Anyway...
I think I came across your plugin not too long ago as my second choice. My first choice is definitely a set-it-and-forget-it settings choice. We've paired down our remote to as few buttons as possible to satisfy the wife and kids' needs for fewer choices, so even adding an extra button function to do exactly what I want isn't super-ideal.
But if you can't get your first choice, second isn't so bad. Certainly better than teaching them to dig back through the settings to change the channels from 2 to 3 and back. Honestly, if your plugin is automatic by tv or movies, that would work fine. We only ever turn on the Denon for movies anyway.

Thanks for the advice!
Erik

PS - and thanks for maintaining the plugin, too!!
Kodi Matrix on Raspberry Pi4 4GB Libreelec - Gigabit Ethernet - Served from unRaid shares
Estuary skin - Netflix plug-in (CastagnalT) - Amazon Video Plug-in

Kodi Matrix on Pi4 in the car with USB storage and Mausberry 4A Power supply w/safe shutdown - HiFiBerry Digi+ optical out to Alpine PXA-800

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with audio passthrough0