Beelink GS King X Android TV Box+NAS with ability to run other oses from sdcard

GS King X Specs: CPU: Amlogic S922X-H 6 Core 4x Arm Cortex A73 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, 2x Arm Cortex A53 cores @ 1.9 GHz, GPU: Mali-G52MP4 @ 846MHz Ram : 4GB LPDDR4 RAM Storage : 64GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot 2x 3.5″ SATA HDD drive bay for up to 16TB storage HDMI 2.1 up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDCP 2.2 Video : AVE-10 engine with 4K UHD H.265/VP9/AVS2 video decoding up to 60 fps, Dolby Vision, Advanced HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and PRIME HDR high-dynamic range support Audio : stereo analog audio via 3.5mm AV jack, optical S/PDIF, stereo audio via RCA jacks; DTS Listen + Dolby Audio decoding, ESS9108 audio DAC (TBC) Connectivity : Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1 USB : 4x USB 3.0 ports Power Supply – 19V DC / 3A power barrel jack Android 9 - Corelec -”EmuElec?”
My take on this device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3bcqHR10CM&t=85s
Some will go for it no doubt...

I personally think it's overprice if you want NAS storage. When for $65 inc. the case you can get something like a ODROID-HC2 : Home Cloud Two (click) that has proven, excellent passive cooling and easy to use OpenMediaVault software.

Networked storage and connected media players should be seperate components IMHO for reliability & redundancy.
Nothing worse than a single - all in one - box failing and then you loose both the NAS & the media player.

Do we really trust Beelink to engineer proper cooling solutions for long term reliability ?
Or provide the quality of Android Tablet Firmware that say Ugoos are outputting.

(2020-06-15, 18:24)wrxtasy Wrote: Some will go for it no doubt...

I personally think it's overprice if you want NAS storage. When for $65 inc. the case you can get something like a ODROID-HC2 : Home Cloud Two (click) that has proven, excellent passive cooling and easy to use OpenMediaVault software.

Networked storage and connected media players should be seperate components IMHO for reliability & redundancy.
Nothing worse than a single - all in one - box failing and then you loose both the NAS & the media player.

Do we really trust Beelink to engineer proper cooling solutions for long term reliability ?
Or provide the quality of Android Tablet Firmware that say Ugoos are outputting.

You are overlooking the simplicity of it.  I have two Synology and one WD Mycloud NAS's.  I have been saving my home media onto these NAS's for many, many years, both from my digital cameras, camcorders AND recently from my cellular phones.  Right now, I transfer all my phone media to one of my Synoloy NAS's. and it works fine.  But, the non-techies would not have a  clue how to do it.

But, this device is made specially for the purpose of transferring and keeping your media taken from your phone, in a fairly cost effective means.  Is it a true NAS? absolutely not, and never will be.

A few years ago, I purchased a single bay Synoloy NAS for the sole purpose of saving his pictures and video clips.  I don't know if he ever figured out how to use it.  He is a West Point graduate with a bachelors in systems engineering, so he has some understanding of technology.  Point being, I think I could recommend this device for that purpose....

But, those are just my thoughts.
Agree with @wrxtasy about separating any media player from storage. Risky, especially w/o some type of RAID set-up for redundancy, and latter will outlast former. Synology, QNAP are not difficult to figure out, even for non-techies.
Beelink just posted a firmware update for this newest Android box, that solved the NAS issue, it now supports a native samba server........ 

The more I use it, the more advantages that I see from this device.  It makes a perfect OTA DVR using the HDHomeRun networked tuners....... It supports two 16 TB HDD, for total of 32 TB.  The DVR server AND the samba server runs in the background, but the box never misses a beat, playing any of my media. 

Of course, as ALL Amlogic boxes it will NOT play any videos encoded with the VC-1 codec, this will not play them either.  Also, it will only passthrough the DTS-HD Master Audio with VLC but not Kodi, even Kodi 19.  But NO passthrough of the Dolby TrueHD codec from any app........

Been using a 4TB WD MyCloud NAS that I got from Silicondust when they first came out, as my OTA DVR.  Now I have disabled the DVR running on the WD NAS and switched to this Beelink GS-King X, and very pleased with it.

Of course, to be noted that Beelink sent me this device with a 4TB HDD already installed, free of charge.
Is it perfect, NO, but I will use it as one of my primary devices connected to my main AV system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beelink GS King X Android TV Box+NAS with ability to run other oses from sdcard0