windows 7 machine, server-WMC keeps stopping
It could be something wrong with the machine.  I'm having trouble diagnosing it.  The devices keep passing the tests.
But the Windows-7 machine is being uses as a Media machine.  And hooked up to a Hauppage TV-Tuner.

Symptoms that are happening.  ServerWMC fails most nights.  The scheduled recordings "most" of the time in the last week have failed.  
Tested memory... Tested the Drive.

After a reboot, or restart of 'ServerWMC'.  It takes a very long time, for it to fully-restart.  Like 15minutes.

But I have seen this: 
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Windows Media Center Receiver Service because of this error.

Program: Windows Media Center Receiver Service
File: C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll

The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
User Action
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
    - It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
    - It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.

Additional Data
Error value: 00000000
Disk type: 3

But Which suggests that its still a drive issue.  Or my motherboard.
I have a Dell Optiplex 390.
That's a strange one.  The error you posted shows that the wmc background service that performs recordings is what is failing (Windows Media Center Receiver Service).  Looks like when that happens it takes out serverwmc too.  It explains why you are not getting all the recordings that you should be getting since its this recording service that actually records, not serverwmc.  Googling wmc and the error (and not serverwmc) and I found

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...itpromedia

but the error is not exactly the same.  Is your tuner a usb tuner?
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2020-06-17, 17:16)krustyreturns Wrote: That's a strange one.  The error you posted shows that the wmc background service that performs recordings is what is failing (Windows Media Center Receiver Service).  Looks like when that happens it takes out serverwmc too.  It explains why you are not getting all the recordings that you should be getting since its this recording service that actually records, not serverwmc.  Googling wmc and the error (and not serverwmc) and I found

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...itpromedia

but the error is not exactly the same.  Is your tuner a usb tuner?
I do expect you Mr. Krusty, to work miracles..., but I don't think this is one of them.  These guys problems appear to be pretty distinct.  You have helped me out many times before.
USB-Tuner - Yes, I have the hauppauge dc2650.
Since usb, make sure the tuner isn't getting powered or suspended by windows.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2020-06-17, 20:59)krustyreturns Wrote: Since usb, make sure the tuner isn't getting powered or suspended by windows.

well Krusty... Something I didn't think of, till today. This machine was not protected by anysort of Malware or virus scanner.  It was just a media-machine.  Not much was loaded on it.  And formerly a work-machine, that also had a dedicated purpose. 

But of course.  I put 'SpyHunter 5', and it has found 3 baddies so far.  One potentially bad one:
70% Red- DangerousObject-Generic (High) --- Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler
Since you are Krusty... I'll quote the simpsons and say "D'oh"

It turns out this was false...  I just installed the 'Sidebardiagnostics'.  I believe it is a false-claim.  Just based on the name of a dll.  I will uninstall it (well spyhunter already gutted it), but this was not it.
(2020-06-17, 21:54)robertkjr3d Wrote:
(2020-06-17, 20:59)krustyreturns Wrote: Since usb, make sure the tuner isn't getting powered or suspended by windows.

well Krusty... Something I didn't think of, till today. This machine was not protected by anysort of Malware or virus scanner.  It was just a media-machine.  Not much was loaded on it.  And formerly a work-machine, that also had a dedicated purpose. 

But of course.  I put 'SpyHunter 5', and it has found 3 baddies so far.  One potentially bad one:

It turns out this was false...  I just installed the 'Sidebardiagnostics'.  I believe it is a false-claim.  Just based on the name of a dll.  I will uninstall it (well spyhunter already gutted it), but this was not it.
<<Since usb, make sure the tuner isn't getting powered or suspended by windows.>>
Is there a setting in Windows 7 for this.  Something that might have changed in a newer Windows 7 update?
It has been working for years.

I did 'disable': USA selective suspend setting.

The MCUpdate log has this:
Failed to retrieve Epglistings... "mediacenter.microsoft.com'   Why is it still trying?  I have switched to EPGlistings Garyyan a long time ago.  How can I stop it from trying?
(2020-06-17, 22:41)robertkjr3d Wrote:
(2020-06-17, 21:54)robertkjr3d Wrote:

<<Since usb, make sure the tuner isn't getting powered or suspended by windows.>>
Is there a setting in Windows 7 for this.  Something that might have changed in a newer Windows 7 update?
It has been working for years.

I did 'disable': USA selective suspend setting.

The MCUpdate log has this:
Failed to retrieve Epglistings... "mediacenter.microsoft.com'   Why is it still trying?  I have switched to EPGlistings Garyyan a long time ago.  How can I stop it from trying?
It has been stable for some-time.  I guess the USB-selective suspend setting did the trick.
Must have been set in one of the Windows-7 updates.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows 7 machine, server-WMC keeps stopping0