Poll: Which Linux distro should we support next?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
openSUSE
10.84%
Fedora
16.26%
Debian
3.52%
Mint
19.24%
Gentoo
12.47%
Arch
35.50%
Mandriva
0%
Other (reply to post which)
0.27%
Ubuntu is enough, thank you
1.90%
Total
369 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 5(current)
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?
I would like to run a minimalist distro just for a media center. Knoppix comes to mind.
rernst Wrote:I would like to run a minimalist distro just for a media center. Knoppix comes to mind.

check out xbmc livecd.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hrm, seems ~6pgs is where a thread becomes too long to read...
debian. Wouldn't be too difficult since it's the parent of ubuntu.
slackware!
personally, gentoo. I have used it as my main distro for many years.
although the current ebuild works fine, i would recommend against offering a pre-compiled version.
The other downpoint is people who don't really know linux and encounter issues will flood the forums looking for support, completely unrelated to xbmc.

More seriously, although I haven't looked at it, I am assuming XBMC Live is this, your own minimalistic distro would be the best. I don't see the point of running xbmc off usb or cd (as I said, I haven't looked at live), but as a setup like smoothwall would make development and end user support a lot simpler as software is consistant for all users.

My 5c
I think that you should fully support ubuntu out of the box first. Like support for pulseaudio.
The PulseAudio fix is in the works.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Great!! When pulseaudio works, meaning i can get surround sound, my XBMC setup will be near perfect!

Hope it will be ready soon!
I've been running "Linux" (Slack, RedHat, Fedora) since 1995 and I don't have any problems with any dist. At home I'm running Xbox (of course), CentOS on my server and XBMC on Ubuntu/WinXP both on the laptop and workstation.
I think that any small distribution including Myth (both backend/frontend) would be perfect for my needs.

And by the way, THANKS for a great piece of software!

My $.02
Exclamation 
Gamester17 Wrote:PS! Personally though I think the next step for us should be to concentrate our own XBMC LiveUSB/LiveCD Distro.

I agree, the live disk is certainly the key to building a reliable turn-key Linux solution. I noticed that a hard drive install feature has been added recently and that is a very strong step in the right direction. However as time goes on I hope to see more advanced integration of XBMC as the primary GUI with its Linux core. Features such as automatic system update as well as advanced remote control configuration tools that are executable and configurable from inside XBMC are a must. also a more advanced installer would be good as well, frankly one that is similar to Ubuntu's which gives you advanced partitioning options, localization settings, and most importantly in my opinion is keyboard/remote control input key mapping (this would be great to be able to automatically detect an installed IR censer and either double check that your remote keys are mapped properly or remap them on the spot with out the need to get technical with configuration files).
I too think you should concentrate on getting the livecd as light weight and sable as possible. So it can become a standalone Mediacenter, ideally you should get the whole thing down to a couple of hundred meg for a HDD install.

Once that is done start adding features that are in mythbuntu. Like DV capture and tv guide etc.
Pvt_Ryan Wrote:I too think you should concentrate on getting the livecd as light weight and sable as possible. So it can become a standalone Mediacenter, ideally you should get the whole thing down to a couple of hundred meg for a HDD install.

Once that is done start adding features that are in mythbuntu. Like DV capture and tv guide etc.

Agree on a nice lightweight install and liveCD. However why duplicate Myth and reinvent the wheel? Myth is a client server application with a well working back end. XBMC can be a front-end for this and avoid having to do all of the work that Myth does and Myth is already supported by guys who have been doing that stuff a very long time...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
so we should all use myth instead?
malloc Wrote:so we should all use myth instead?
For DVB/VDR/PVR/etc yes, the backend only, of course. Unless you feel like dipping into v4l and w/e the win32/osx equivalents are?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?1