Poll: Which Linux distro should we support next?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
openSUSE
10.84%
Fedora
16.26%
Debian
3.52%
Mint
19.24%
Gentoo
12.47%
Arch
35.50%
Mandriva
0%
Other (reply to post which)
0.27%
Ubuntu is enough, thank you
1.90%
Total
369 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 6(current)
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?
but this is a thread about distros...when did myth become a distro?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well there is Mythbuntu... Wink

The point was made that rather than attempting to support still more distros that perhaps effort to build a stable LiveCD, perhaps a unique install?, might be better. I agreed with that but disagreed with the further assertion that Myth functionality should somehow be rolled into XBMC as a step after that.

IMO Myth already works and is supported by guys who have been doing it a long time - why duplicate their effort when a front-end client could be setup to use their existing client\server architecture as designed? That, IMO, makes more sense and has nothing to do with a Mythical Myth distro (nyuk nyuk).
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yeah that's how I interpreted it. Don't mind malloc, he's a little slow.
* malloc runs in circles chasing his tail.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Aging thread I know but ....

(Arch Linux)

From personal experience... Once you get a taste of XBMC your quickly find yourself wanting to build a shiny new high end system. This generally leads to needing latest drivers etc. Arch definately provides this and with minimal effort from the user.

I know there is a risk using Arch (Bleeding Edge) but its a far greater risk buying hardware only to find its not supported(Even though its claimed to be).

I know! I know! research you hardware before you buy and XBMC doesnt really need top spec gear but Im a techno junkie and is fact that I need the lastest and greatest.

Zepp
Intel Moblin V2 Core Alpha: It Boots Fast!
ill vote for archlinux here .. got it running on both 32bit and 64bit boxes.
Another vote for Arch Linux.
1 Month bump ftw... i'm installing Arch Linux now... lets help suspend works
debian
gentoo
motd2k Wrote:1 Month bump ftw... i'm installing Arch Linux now... lets help suspend works

Great news - seems like i/we Archers do get even more support now that you're at least on the same platform.

Oh, for the poll: I vote Arch Linux, but i understand that a rolling distro might not be the first choice for this effort.
Question 
Is the source code available or a standard bash install script available so someone who does not use Ubuntu could make use of your program. I gave up with Ubuntu as I was constantly having problems with Pulse Audio(which is garbage) I am currently using Mepis Linux which is based upon Debian, it uses the Lenny branch of their repositories.

By only providing xbmc for Ubuntu you are defeating your own arguments for why you ported the application over to Linux. If it runs on Ubuntu it should not be a problem to compile it for the other distros. I am not saying that you need to compile it, only provide a link to the source code so any one industrious enough could do so. So why limit your exposure to only one Distro? I also use CrossLinux by code weavers and they created a standard bash install script so that their application could be installed on any of the distros regardless of the package management system they used. With this all one has to do is to open up a terminal window and navigate to where the file has been downloaded to and type su "then the file name.su" and if the install script was created correctly it will install on any distro.

Thanks,
Robert
Welcome.

Start by going here: http://xbmc.org/download

And scrolling down.

Cheers,
Jonathan

? grab svn and build away. we build on many other distros. we can't build for every distro out there, that is the job of packagers.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?1