Poll: Which Linux distro should we support next?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
openSUSE
10.84%
Fedora
16.26%
Debian
3.52%
Mint
19.24%
Gentoo
12.47%
Arch
35.50%
Mandriva
0%
Other (reply to post which)
0.27%
Ubuntu is enough, thank you
1.90%
Total
369 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 7(current)
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?
If your preferred flavor if Linux doesn't have a package for XBMC - why don't you start one?

That's what open source is all about!
Django Bespoke Business Software, Sydney Australia
Rainbow 
Gentoo cos it have everything to create a custom cd Nod:p
Gentoo please. Big Grin

Thank you.
I don't really know a whole lot about linux, or what different distros there are..but i do have one request. Whatever you go with, please pick an OS that boots as quick as possible Smile I'm really trying to get down to single or low double digit boot times Smile
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Gentoo will be perfect for the project. Fast, highly customizable, easy to upgrade, optimized to the hardware.
snake111 Wrote:Gentoo will be perfect for the project. Fast, highly customizable, easy to upgrade, optimized to the hardware.

Gentoo might be all that , but not that many folks actually use it.

The question really should be approached as "How many people are using distro X?" A logical extension would be for an RPM-based system. Once you've done that, either generically or not, it's then easier to make packages for other RPM-based systems. That increases the potential user-base a lot more than going to Gentoo.

Please note I'm not slamming Gentoo - just making a statistical observation.
Another vote for my ex distro... Archlinux
Quote:PS! Personally though I think the next step for us should be to concentrate our own XBMC LiveUSB/LiveCD Distro.

I agree that the topbox & live setup are the highest prio, but I really like the fact that the existing live is based on standard distro which makes it pretty easy to add more functionality. (e.g NX server + gnome => remote desktop access).
Perhaps these are conflicting targets...I dont know enough.
I think the next distributions that XBMC should officially support are gentoo and Archlinux because they offer the possibility to build really powerful HTPC. they offer full control of packages present in the system which ensures extraordinary responsiveness to the system. Furthermore the gentoo packages which are built directly on the machine provide optimum performance that would make good support for advanced users who could build incredible HTPC which benefit from the optimal performance of XBMC.

EDIT: I personally run an Archlinux powered HTPC that automatically boot on XBMC (which is the only GUI that i use on my system with some python scripts to perform maintenance task) in less than 18 seconds (thanks to my SSD and a lot of optimizations) and WOW it's just amazing. All my friends are in love with this and plan to build the same.
I think 'supported' distros should be left up to the distros/packers themselves.

I think this development time should be spent on xbmc's own live cd, making it as sleek as possible.
I understand that it's working very well at the moment, but I love the idea of using xbmc's own repositories, having a minute, stable base system with some relevent 'cutting edge' packages? A very simple integrated desktop that you can switch to for browsing etc would complement the system quite well I think too.
crackers Wrote:Gentoo might be all that , but not that many folks actually use it.

The question really should be approached as "How many people are using distro X?" A logical extension would be for an RPM-based system. Once you've done that, either generically or not, it's then easier to make packages for other RPM-based systems. That increases the potential user-base a lot more than going to Gentoo.

Please note I'm not slamming Gentoo - just making a statistical observation.

Well, that's your interpretation of the question. I agree if we're going in the direction of increasing the potential user-base, but I personally don't see many benefits.
How many people here start using ubuntu only because it's supported from XBMC and VDPAU? I think a lot more than ubuntu users that starts using xbmc... (but I could be wrong)

Anyway, I prefer having a highly customizable, smaller, faster, easier to mantain and upgrade, and optimized system instead of another ubuntu-like distro, that wouldn't really add anything new. I know that probably that's not what xbmc developers think, and it's ok, make sense from they're point of view.
Debian stable would be great
ArchLinux
archlinux! On AppleTV! with CrystalHD!
Slackware 64
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?1