Database name
Good afternoon

I don't know if I explain myself correctly because my English is very bad and I use the google translator

I have been searching for information on the internet but have not found anything, my request is if it would be possible for Kodi not to add the number to the end of the database name when creating it.

This would be very good for those of us who have several computers with Kodi and the centralized database at home, because now you have to change the version of kodi on all the computers, otherwise the data will not be saved well.

Greetings and thank you very much.
(2020-06-24, 20:10)kevylluma Wrote: f it would be possible for Kodi not to add the number to the end of the database name when creating it.

The numbering of the databases is for Kodi's identification of the version of those databases.
The generic use as well as the upgrade process will check for each version available and use the highest numbered database.
Also, database versions of Kodi are not very backwards compatible.

So, the simple answer to your question is "no".

In case of a centralized database: should you have Kodi devices with different (major) versions of Kodi, then you will end up with differently synced databases. I don't think this is something you really want.
(2020-06-24, 20:27)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-06-24, 20:10)kevylluma Wrote:  
In case of a centralized database: should you have Kodi devices with different (major) versions of Kodi, then you will end up with differently synced databases. I don't think this is something you really want.

Thank you very much for your help.

Exactly, that's why I was asking if the same database was possible for different versions of kodi.

A pity that it cannot be done because this limits a lot to those of us who have several teams with kodi at home and want the centralized database.

Greetings and thanks again.
(2020-06-24, 20:33)kevylluma Wrote: A pity that it cannot be done because this limits a lot to those of us who have several teams with kodi at home and want the centralized database.

The reason it can't be done is because every time there are changes to the database, the number increases.  So, if a new field is added to one of the databases (giving the option of a new sort or new field for a smart playlist) the number will increase.  However, the new field(s) are only added to the new version of Kodi (currently to v19 Matrix) and so the older versions will not be able to

• Use the new fields
  • be able to read the database correctly
  • write any new information to the database

That is why the major version number of Kodi has to match on all clients using a shared database. Otherwise, there will be information in there (or the format of the database will be different) and that will prevent older versions of Kodi from being able to read the database(s) at all.  Kodi can upgrade old databases to the current version but it can't use old databases as it will attempt to use information that just doesn't exist in the older database(s).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thank you so much for your help.

Regards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Database name0