Add-on request: A Kodi add-on that enables Android TVs to rip/digitize VHS tapes
Hello, guys! I have a bunch of VHS tapes from the 90s around the house and I have gotten to the point where I have gotten tired of popping them into my VCR. I want to convert them into MP4 files (In other words, rip/digitize the VHS tapes) so, I can play them as MP4 video files on my computer instead. I read online that you need a USB converter device in order to rip/digitize VHS tapes. I do not have a USB converter device. I also found out that another way you can rip/digitize VHS tapes is by ripping/digitizing them using a digital camcorder. I have a digital camcorder but I lost the data transfer cable and the AV IN cable for it. I have an Android TV. I think it would be convenient if there was a Kodi add-on made that enables Android TVs to rip/digitize VHS tapes. I think it would be possible for this Kodi add-on to be made given the fact that a TV tuner is needed to rip VHS tapes and TVs have TV tuners inside of them. Another reason why I think it would be possible for this Kodi add-on to be made is because Android TVs have RCA ports on them (I am talking about those infamous red, white, and yellow AV ports. When a VCR is plugged into the Android TV using an RCA cable (https://s.yimg.com/aah/outletpc/6ft-rca-...low-44.jpg), the signal from the VCR can be sent to the TV.). The reason why I mentioned Android TVs in this post is because the Android TV OS is the only Smart TV OS that has a Kodi app made for it (I could be wrong. Correct me if I am wrong, my fellow Redditors.). I would code a Kodi add-on that does this myself but coding is not my favorite part of IT and I don't know how to code. I would like for one of you developers to create this add-on. Thank you.
I may be wrong - but I don't think this is possible, as AIUI the Android TV OS on smart TVs doesn't have access to the video being fed via AV inputs, so can't compress and record it.  If the TVs allowed this it would be a major route to piracy, so it's not in TV manufacturer's interests to enable it?  I may be wrong - but I don't think they have access to uncompressed YUV video - though it may pass through their chipsets for overlay purposes.

Some Android TVs do allow PVR functionality from their internal digital tuners, but this is by recording the transport streams from the DVB tuner subsystems prior to MPEG2/h.264/h.265 decoding - which is a very different route - and for which DTCP or similar protection is defined and implemented to ensure that those recordings can't be read by other devices than the TV that recorded them. They don't allow recording from their analogue tuners or AV inputs.
(2020-06-27, 08:19)noggin Wrote: I may be wrong - but I don't think this is possible, as AIUI the Android TV OS on smart TVs doesn't have access to the video being fed via AV inputs, so can't compress and record it.  If the TVs allowed this it would be a major route to piracy, so it's not in TV manufacturer's interests to enable it?  I may be wrong - but I don't think they have access to uncompressed YUV video - though it may pass through their chipsets for overlay purposes.

Some Android TVs do allow PVR functionality from their internal digital tuners, but this is by recording the transport streams from the DVB tuner subsystems prior to MPEG2/h.264/h.265 decoding - which is a very different route - and for which DTCP or similar protection is defined and implemented to ensure that those recordings can't be read by other devices than the TV that recorded them. They don't allow recording from their analogue tuners or AV inputs.

Noggin, I didn't know that. Ok, thank you.
Thread moved to addon requests, as that's not what feature requests is for...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-06-27, 23:11)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to addon requests, as that's not what feature requests is for...

Ok, Darren. Thank you for moving my thread to the Addon Requests forum. I am new to the Kodi forums. With that being said, I don't know where each forum within it is located. Dude, again, thank you for moving my thread to the Addon Requests forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add-on request: A Kodi add-on that enables Android TVs to rip/digitize VHS tapes0