Possible to have SD and HD versions of the same TV series simultaneously in library?
Suppose you have SD and HD versions of a TV series that are exactly the same, except one is SD, the other HD. How would you get them both in your library at the same time? I know how to do this with movies using .nfo files, but my experiments setting the title with tvshow.nfo have failed.
It is not that easy because the TV Show section was specifically designed to find split tv shows and combine them, so a little bit of fiddling is required. It involved changing the UniquID and the TV Show title.

Read this thread which asks a similar question... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349163
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks, I followed your instructions in that thread but found I didn't have two uniqueid items, so I simply deleted the default="true" attribute, left id alone, deleted everything but title, which I changed for the HD copy, and added TheMovieDB URL to the bottom like with movie .nfo's. I also got rid of the per-episode .nfo files. I verified I could add files to each of the SD and HD versions, and they scraped separately and correctly, maintaining independent watched states and resume points. So it looks like this is gonna work! Does this make sense, though? I'd hate to commit to it only to find some problem down the road.
(2020-06-30, 05:52)crawfish Wrote: so I simply deleted the default="true" attribute, left id alone, deleted everything but title
Nope, it does not make sense Sounds like you made a mess and you will get yourself into trouble.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I even have the folders side-by-side under the same source with their names the same as the titles in their respective .nfo files, e.g. "Show" and "Show (HD)". I've looked in the database, and I have separate entries for the two shows, e.g. tvshow.idShow has different numbers, and the titles are correct, and other tables respect this including uniqueid, tvshowlinkpath, tvshow_view, episode, etc. The testing I've done includes adding different episodes to each folder to make sure they show up under the right show, as well as adding the same episodes to each folder and making sure Kodi maintains separate watched/resume status, and it's all fine.

I'm testing with 17.3, which I have set up as a portable installation for a friend I help out sometimes, so no biggie if it screws up. My main installation is 18.7 on a Fire TV Stick 4K. Any theory as to why it shouldn't work and how to cause it to fail?
Why do you want both in the same library?
Why would you even want SD versions when you have HD versions, is my question.

If you have to split the SD/HD quality, then use different root folders for each, so you can create separate video sources, and even use different databases.
The SD version (4:3) was the original presentation, and the creator maintains it's the preferred version even after release of the HD (widescreen) version due to scene composition and other considerations.

Getting back to what I've found, deleting the default="true" attribute from uniqueid appears to cause Kodi to treat the shows as independent based on their paths in every way that I can tell. I described a couple of these ways in my previous message, and the contents of the database appears to affirm it. Is there any reason to think this is wrong?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to have SD and HD versions of the same TV series simultaneously in library?0