v18 How can seperate movie types in main menu using Estuary Mod V2 (or any other skin)
Added Image: This is what i got so far..

Seems like i cannot edit my own posts at the moment but here a direct link to the screenshot of the menu i current have:

https://i.imgur.com/4HCZ7lul.jpg
Are all these movies scanned/scraped into your library?

You would normally create a Smart Playlist to filter the Classic Movies, then attach the Smart Playlist to the new menu item.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-30, 11:31)Karellen Wrote: Are all these movies scanned/scraped into your library?

You would normally create a Smart Playlist to filter the Classic Movies, then attach the Smart Playlist to the new menu item.

Yes they have been fully scraped (with a few incidences of having to remove and re-add them to the library)

I suppose i could make a smart playlist but i was hoping for a more elegant solution. And wouldn't all the movies still show up in the main movie category?
(2020-06-30, 11:36)RobGMun Wrote: And wouldn't all the movies still show up in the main movie category?
Yes, so you would need to create another Smart Playlist to exclude the 3D Movies and Classical Movies. Then edit the original Movie category to use the Smart Playlist.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-06-30, 12:06)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 11:36)RobGMun Wrote: And wouldn't all the movies still show up in the main movie category?
Yes, so you would need to create another Smart Playlist to exclude the 3D Movies and Classical Movies. Then edit the original Movie category to use the Smart Playlist.

Ok, can you please link to the Smart Playlist article so i can read up and try it out? 

Thanks, also no other Skin can do a better job or is this just the limitation of Kodi right now?
(2020-06-30, 12:10)RobGMun Wrote: Ok, can you please link to the Smart Playlist article so i can read up and try it out? 
I hesitated giving it to you initially as the page is outdated, but here it is... https://kodi.wiki/view/Smart_playlists

(2020-06-30, 12:10)RobGMun Wrote: Thanks, also no other Skin can do a better job or is this just the limitation of Kodi right now?
Limitation? What is the limitation? That is the way it is done.
My Signature
This may also be helpful https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items/Aeon_Nox_Silvo

It's specific for the Aeon Nox Silvo skin but the principles are basically the same for all skins that allow custom home menu items.
(2020-06-30, 12:18)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 12:10)RobGMun Wrote:  

It would have been highly convenient to have it so each Menu item can only read from one source, or at least having the option to in the interface setting when making the menu items. Making categorising much easier and straight forward. I've seen so many people ask the same question in slightly different ways over the years. So it's a feature that is really needed and without being rude, yes i would certainly call it a limitation.
If you add each folder to your kodi library individually, then  do , settings-media-videos, you will see each of your own folders.
highlight a folder , long press on OK and choose "add to favourites" . The go back into skin settings- configure menu items and when you add a new menu item does it give the option to add a favorited item as a menu item ? most skins do , am not sure about Estuary Mod V2.
EDIT :  Yes the above method works I just tried it using EMV2.
(2020-06-30, 13:00)RobGMun Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 12:18)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 12:10)RobGMun Wrote:  

It would have been highly convenient to have it so each Menu item can only read from one source, or at least having the option to in the interface setting when making the menu items. Making categorising much easier and straight forward. I've seen so many people ask the same question in slightly different ways over the years. So it's a feature that is really needed and without being rude, yes i would certainly call it a limitation.
Have to agree Rob.
Trying to move from W7 WMC/Media Browser where you just point TV to your TV folder and Movies to your Movie folder and everything just works.
The problem with Kodi for a complete newbie is the apparent existence of separate TV and Movie items which are (under the surface) just sub-sections of a blanket "Videos" and the inability of separating them at the top level without jumping through a series of non-intuitive hoops. That seems to me as an outsider (or just crossed the threshold insider) as a significant architectural shortcoming. The skin makes it simple to create multiple Home menu items, but then they all just go to the same place where a second choice has to be made.
Makes it pointless to have created those menu items when clicking Videos will do exactly the same thing.
Been trying for days to master smart playlists to shortcut the two-step menu problem but haven't yet succeeded in making it work.
I may be a Kodi newbie, but I began over half a century ago as a Sys Prog for IBM, spent a career solving other people's software problems, retired and spent the last decade solving OPs Windows problems in another forum where I'm a 5 figure post Mod, so I'm not quite as dumb as trying to customize Kodi makes me feel.
(2020-06-30, 13:15)ontap Wrote: If you add each folder to your kodi library individually, then  do , settings-media-videos, you will see each of your own folders.
highlight a folder , long press on OK and choose "add to favourites" . The go back into skin settings- configure menu items and when you add a new menu item does it give the option to add a favorited item as a menu item ? most skins do , am not sure about Estuary Mod V2.
EDIT :  Yes the above method works I just tried it using EMV2.

Thanks Ontap.
You've solved my problem in 1 minute after spending two days down the smart playlist rabbit-hole wandering in hopeless circles.
Now have a top-level home menu set of choices which all do exactly what I want with a single click.Image
(2020-07-01, 15:43)Terry60 Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 13:00)RobGMun Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 12:18)Karellen Wrote: Limitation? What is the limitation? That is the way it is done.

Have to agree Rob.
Trying to move from W7 WMC/Media Browser where you just point TV to your TV folder and Movies to your Movie folder and everything just works.
The problem with Kodi for a complete newbie is the apparent existence of separate TV and Movie items which are (under the surface) just sub-sections of a blanket "Videos" and the inability of separating them at the top level without jumping through a series of non-intuitive hoops. That seems to me as an outsider (or just crossed the threshold insider) as a significant architectural shortcoming. The skin makes it simple to create multiple Home menu items, but then they all just go to the same place where a second choice has to be made.
Makes it pointless to have created those menu items when clicking Videos will do exactly the same thing.
Been trying for days to master smart playlists to shortcut the two-step menu problem but haven't yet succeeded in making it work.
I may be a Kodi newbie, but I began over half a century ago as a Sys Prog for IBM, spent a career solving other people's software problems, retired and spent the last decade solving OPs Windows problems in another forum where I'm a 5 figure post Mod, so I'm not quite as dumb as trying to customize Kodi makes me feel.

Thank you for your support, i too have been in the IT analyst game for a couple of decades. I've done trade floor support for the large banks and supported corporation mainframes. I taught myself Fortran to do Physics calculations for my degree and my first job was SQL programming for ADL and currently work for Unisys as their top troubleshooter. So i'm the last person anyone would call dumb. And managing to get this far into Kodi in just a few hours before finally caving in and signing up to this forum shows i'm not some Noob!

But to simply say "That is the way it is done." and not to think or even try to make a more elegant solution means people rest on their laurels and not see if they can make things better. I'm very grateful for ontap for letting us know how to do this properly. I'm going to try it in the next few minutes but if i get lost hopefully i can hit you up privately and you can walk me through it?
(2020-07-02, 00:08)RobGMun Wrote: But to simply say "That is the way it is done." and not to think or even try to make a more elegant solution means people rest on their laurels and not see if they can make things better.
There are no laurels to rest on. If that is the way it is done, then that is the way it is done. And if you don't like the way it works one way, then there is another way to do it, and ontap provided that for you.

And because you think it is not the right way to do it, does not mean the rest of the user base thinks the same.

Of course you are always welcome to contribute to this volunteer project if you think we do it wrong. Wink
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How can seperate movie types in main menu using Estuary Mod V2 (or any other skin)0