Can I Use an HD Homerun with an Nvidia Shield to Watch & Record UK OTA programming
Hi All,

Long time Kodi (XBMC) user in the UK. I have recently upgraded to an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) to replace a Minix Neo after many years of good service & I am very pleased with my purchase. I am now interested in purchasing an HD Homerun (Duo or Quattro) & I am seeing contradictory answers when I search for info.  In a nutshell I wish to connect an HD Homerun to my router & watch Live TV on the Shield & also record Live TV. I want to know if this can be done?

The Wiki states that it can't be done on Android (https://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software) but there seem to be plenty of users who are doing it hence the confusion.  My media is connected to a PC on my network & it streams perfectly, I don't want to spend £150 on the HD Homerun & not be able to use it with the Shield.

From what I can gather I need a backend (such as TVHeadend) & a front end (there seems to be a suitable Kodi add-on) but I'm not sure whether it works with a Shield?

Can anybody give me any pointers please before I pull the trogger on the purchase.

Thank you.

MartinK
If you just want to watch TV, then the HDHomeRun and the Shield should be fine (using the HDHomeRun PVR client addon in Kodi). However if you want to record, you'd have to pay their monthly subscription and even then I'm not sure there are versions of the PVR which can support it (I think there was at one point, but I don't know if it's still around and supported).

The simplest way is to use a backend such as TVHeadEnd and route the connection through that. As you already note, there's no such back-ends for the Android platform, but what many people do is get a RaspBerry Pi or similar device and use that to host the server. Personally I do this (I've got a Pi4 running both LibreElec and TVHeadEnd server sat beneath the TV in my lounge, fed by an HDHR Quatro and an HDHR Duo). For recording, best to also hook it up to some sort of external storage, either a USB hard drive or a NAS depending on what you wish (I started with the former then moved to the latter).

The backend is really only needed for recording, for other purposes Kodi plus the relevant PVR addon normally suffices.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-06-30, 22:33)DarrenHill Wrote: If you just want to watch TV, then the HDHomeRun and the Shield should be fine (using the HDHomeRun PVR client addon in Kodi). However if you want to record, you'd have to pay their monthly subscription and even then I'm not sure there are versions of the PVR which can support it (I think there was at one point, but I don't know if it's still around and supported).

The simplest way is to use a backend such as TVHeadEnd and route the connection through that. As you already note, there's no such back-ends for the Android platform, but what many people do is get a RaspBerry Pi or similar device and use that to host the server. Personally I do this (I've got a Pi4 running both LibreElec and TVHeadEnd server sat beneath the TV in my lounge, fed by an HDHR Quatro and an HDHR Duo). For recording, best to also hook it up to some sort of external storage, either a USB hard drive or a NAS depending on what you wish (I started with the former then moved to the latter).

The backend is really only needed for recording, for other purposes Kodi plus the relevant PVR addon normally suffices.
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply. My media is all on HDD's hooked up to a PC on my network. Could I run the TV Headend on that PC?  The PC is situated under the stairs where the router & aerial points are. The shield is behind my TV in the lounge connected by Cat5e cabling. Would this be a workable set up & what should I google for set-up advice?

I was planning on adding a 1TB USB HDD to the Shield but if I'm running the server on the PC, could I utilise the storage attached to that PC? 

If my thinking is correct, all I need to do now is work out if I'm capable of getting this to work Smile

MartinK
There isn't a server for TVHeadend for Windows, but there are other options like NextPVR (see the wiki link you posted in your first message).

Whether they support recording etc I don't know (as I use TVH as mentioned), but that could be another option perhaps. Look into the different PVR options and see what fits your bill.

Edited to add - looks like it can be done with a lot of work and messing about. See this thread and the linked TVHeadend forum pages in it (post 4 in that thread).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-07-01, 10:48)DarrenHill Wrote: There isn't a server for TVHeadend for Windows, but there are other options like NextPVR (see the wiki link you posted in your first message).

Whether they support recording etc I don't know (as I use TVH as mentioned), but that could be another option perhaps. Look into the different PVR options and see what fits your bill.

Edited to add - looks like it can be done with a lot of work and messing about. See this thread and the linked TVHeadend forum pages in it (post 4 in that thread).
Thanks for those links. It does look doable if a bit daunting.  I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Quattro but also buy the DVR subscription. It only works out at £2.99 p/mth & it looks a lot simpler.  I'm assuming from what I've read I can use the HD Homerun add & if I have the DVR sub I will be able to schedule recording s through tht.  Do you know of anyone who's doing this?

If it doesn't work I can definitely use it inthe native shield O/S & play around with the other solutions at my own pace Smile 

MartinK
I would consider experimenting with NextPVR on the windows machine if you do get an HDHomerun.  But one thing is you need schedule data and I don't know where you get that for UK.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2020-07-01, 19:31)scott967 Wrote: I would consider experimenting with NextPVR on the windows machine if you do get an HDHomerun.  But one thing is you need schedule data and I don't know where you get that for UK.

scott s.
Hi Scott,

I'm definitely going to have a play with the different options.  I think the unit comes with a 2 month DVR trial so that will be useful if I can't get any of the PVR solutions working.  Unit is arriving to day so I will get it installed, have a play & I'm sure I'm gonna have a bunch of questions.

Thanks.

MartinK
OK, I've got the HD Homerun installed which was a ridiculously pain free & easy process, thumbs up to Silicon Dust for that. Got Live TV working easily on my PC & on the Shield. 2nd thumbs up. Decided to push the boat out & ordered the DVR at £35.00 p/a. The activation system failed meaning an e-mail to customer services so thumbs down for that but thumbs up for an intantaneous response. Smile

DVR working fine, scheduling recordings & making/watching recordings all working well.  I have used the HD Homerun Add-on & added the Android App to the Home Screen & although very similar I think I prefer the Add-ons UI.

The big problem with my current (native) set up is the lack of a 'traditional' EPG.  Choosing the channel & clicking right through the programs is not as intuitive as a grid style EPG & SWMBO will get confused with this. It's an issue because I wanted to make the Shield & Kodi our 'one-stop' everytime we turn the TV on.  I've already got Kodi set to boot into Live TV directly, I just need to find an EPG that my wife will be comfortable with.

Does anyone have any suggestions beforre I start searching for a way to incorporate a grid style EPG?  'Live Channels' on the Shield gives a really good EPG but you cannot schedule recordings from there Sad

Thanks.

MartinK
You should be able to set up the grid style EPG in Kodi by setting up the HDHOmerun PVR addon.  Not sure if you can record from it since I don't have the DVR subscription, but you can watch TV  through Kodi by installing the PVR addon and setting up a Live TV tab, which gives you access to live tv, a grid egp, and your recordings.  Also, you can record from the Live Channels app if you set it up with the beta-tuner, NOT the HD Homerun tuner.  Doesn't cost a thing.
.OK, I've installed & configured NextPVR on my PC, linked it to the Hd Homerun & even sorted out the shonky MPEG Decoders so I can watch live tv on it. When I get a chance I will install the NextPVR Add-on in Kodi & I assume that when I do there will be an option to link it to the NextPVR on my PC over the network? If that's how it works that could be the solution although I'm long enough in the tooth to expect it won't be that easy  Big Grin .

I'm also going to look at the pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on as that looks interesting.

I'm assuming I have to enable 'Live TV' in the General settings in Kodi so I'll do all that &, fingers crosssed, I'll come back & report that the thread can be closed...Yeah right  Laugh .

Thanks for all your help so far. Sometimes I just need someone to bounce ideas off & to be pointed in the right direction.

MartinK
There's also the unofficial HDHR PVR addon, which may give you what you need.

See here for more details and download.

I haven't personally tried it, but it includes support for the DVR.

Kodi Blog Posts
There is also the Channels DVR server option for the Shield:

https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#nvidiashield

https://community.getchannels.com/c/chan...roid-tv/21

Thanks all, lots of brilliant advice!  NextPVR add-on worked seamlessly connecting & populating the channels straight away. The channels were numbered incorrectly but that shouldn't be to difficult to change. It gives a grid style EPG but it has made me re-look at Silicon Dust's effort & I think I could definitley get used to it & I showed it to SWMBO & got a cautious' thumbs up from her as well. I left her to play with recordings of a couple of her favourite shows & I think we may have a winner Big Grin .  At the moment, making the native HDHomerun Android app a 'Favourite' in Kodi & adding it to the Home Screen is leading over the HDHomerun Kodi Add-on (although they are very similar) & the NextPVR although I could use all three easily.

DarrenHill & bsellers100 - I tried the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on with no luck but realised I was doing something wrong so I will have another look at that this morning.

wrxtasy - Thanks for the suggestion but the ChannelsDVR app costs £21.49 & I don't think I need to pay another fee on top of the £35.00 DVR fee I've already paid as I seem to have a solution that works, but if it gives me the perfect experience I will do it. Time to check YouTube as there is no free trial for the software.

In summary I have been very impressed with the HDHomerun box & DVR service as a product. It's not a cheap solution but I've spent so many years jerryrigging Heath Robinson solutions that it's time to let the pros take the strain even if it costs me a bit more.  I have also been surprised at how easy it has been to integrate into Kodi & the Shield & finally many thanks to everyone who has advised & commented on this thread...cheers.

I'll check the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on & follow the instructions this time & that might end up as the best solution.

MartinK
OK, the zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr add-on works really well for Live TV, a grid style EPG, starting & stopping recordings & scheduling recordings, especially using the 'smart select' option. The only thing I can't work out is how to view those recordings without exiting Live TV & opening the HDHomerun app as any recordings I make/schedule show up there fine.  I just can't find how to view them in Live TV?  Maybe you're not supposed to, with it being 'Live TV', but it would be useful to have a 'button' to see the recordings.

There must be one, so back to the forums & google to see what I'm misiing unless someone can give me a shortcut?  Big Grin

I've discounted the NextPVR add-on & official Kodi HDHomerun add-on for day to day use, they work fine but the zuki add-on & official app work & look better.

Really pleased with how this is going so far, thanks again everyone who has helped/guided.

MartinK
I would probably ask that in the Silicon Dust forum thread for the unofficial addon (the link I posted before).

Normally recordings should be in the sub-menu of the live TV section in the menu. At least that's where they appear for my TVHeadend backend, and it's where I'd logically expect yours as well. But as I don't use the HDHR PVR I can't comment with certainty there I'm afraid.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I Use an HD Homerun with an Nvidia Shield to Watch & Record UK OTA programming0