DTS pass-thru
Hi All- pretty much a newbie here so apologies for the stupid questions bound to follow. I honestly did do a bit of searching beforehand but didn’t find anything related to my specific issue

Up until quite recently I’ve been running Kodi 14.something on an ATV2 with strictly SD DVD rips ( I only have a 32in tv). I’ve decided to get with the times a bit and upgrade to 1080p. Knowing that ATV2 is supposed to max out at 720p, I picked up a Firestick and loaded it with Leia. Both the Firestick and the ATV seem to handle the video ok but the audio is giving me problems as neither wants to pass a straight DTS audio signal without crashing- not even HD audio, just old/school DTS. I’ve researched online a bit and seems that no Kodi hardware has a DTS spec, only DD variations. My ears are old enough to not really care about upgrading all my equipment to HD audio....so I guess what I’m asking is are there any decent hardware boxes out there that will reliably pass DTS audio?

Thx- and apologies again if this has already been covered and I missed it
(2020-07-03, 23:40)D-Zyne Wrote: Hi All- pretty much a newbie here so apologies for the stupid questions bound to follow. I honestly did do a bit of searching beforehand but didn’t find anything related to my specific issue

Up until quite recently I’ve been running Kodi 14.something on an ATV2 with strictly SD DVD rips ( I only have a 32in tv). I’ve decided to get with the times a bit and upgrade to 1080p. Knowing that ATV2 is supposed to max out at 720p, I picked up a Firestick and loaded it with Leia. Both the Firestick and the ATV seem to handle the video ok but the audio is giving me problems as neither wants to pass a straight DTS audio signal without crashing- not even HD audio, just old/school DTS. I’ve researched online a bit and seems that no Kodi hardware has a DTS spec, only DD variations. My ears are old enough to not really care about upgrading all my equipment to HD audio....so I guess what I’m asking is are there any decent hardware boxes out there that will reliably pass DTS audio?

Thx- and apologies again if this has already been covered and I missed it

The Raspberry Pi models will all output DD and DTS via passthrough, they decode True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA losslessly to PCM 5.1/7.1 (*).  The Raspberry Pi 4B should get software support for HD Audio passthrough at some point too as the hardware is capable.  I'd run LibreElec on a Pi.

Pretty much any AMLogic solution will do DTS (and DTS HD/Dolby True HD) passthrough alongside Dolby when running CoreElec.

The nVidia Shield TV will also do DD/DTS/DTS HD/True HD passthrough running Android builds of Kodi.

(*) The Pi Zero to 3B+ models are limited to max 192k 4.0 output so won't losslessly decode the very small number of 5.1 192kHz sound tracks (such as Akira) and these will be downsampled to a lower sampling rate for 5.1 output.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS pass-thru0