2020 washed out 4K video update
I've read a few forum entries regarding washed out colors on 4k videos.  Whether it's HDR, 10bit, video cards, etc., will there be equivalent functionality to VLC anytime soon?  VLC does properly play all my 4K videos but Kodi and MPC-HC do not.  Is there going to be some kind of workflow to remedy this anytime soon or am I stuck trying to implement a LUT file?

I read about 3D Lut but I haven't found a way to create a file without buying a $99 program, which is self-defeating since VLC plays videos just fine.
Well, Kodi is Kodi and VLC is VLC, so no, Kodi will not be equivalent to VLC.  Now to address your actual issue, first step is to upload a debug log that captures Kodi while playing a video with the issue to a pastebin site so we can see your configuration and how kodi is handling the file.

scott s.
(2020-07-10, 00:56)scott967 Wrote: Well, Kodi is Kodi and VLC is VLC, so no, Kodi will not be equivalent to VLC.  Now to address your actual issue, first step is to upload a debug log that captures Kodi while playing a video with the issue to a pastebin site so we can see your configuration and how kodi is handling the file.

scott s.

File was to big for pastebin or paste.kodi.tv  but here it is:   https://tinyurl.com/yd7f3pdk

I tried playing a 4K video with really bad coloring and then a 1080p video which appeared to be much better.

Thanks for your help.
OK from your log I see you are playing a bt2020 PQ10 video on SDR hardware on windows 10 so are asking about tone mapping to bt709 gamma 2.4.

Not a video guy myself, but AFAIK Kodi on windows support tone mapping using DXVA or shaders as rendering method, and in the OSD there is a slider for the tone mapping.  You might want to experiment with those.  Or as you suggest turn off tone mapping in the OSD and use you own LUT.  You might also install current Kodi 19 nightly in a portable mode (don't use default install folder) and see if you see any difference.

scott s.
When using Windows if you want HDR tone mapping to work correctly then the render method must be set to Pixel Shaders.
(2020-07-13, 21:57)jjd-uk Wrote: When using Windows if you want HDR tone mapping to work correctly then the render method must be set to Pixel Shaders.

I finally got a chance to try Kodi again.  I updated to a newer Leia update and changed the render method to pixel shaders, and NOW IT WORKS.  I'm not certain if the colors are correctly displaying or not because I have no good frame of reference, but at least it's not crashing anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2020 washed out 4K video update0