x265 resume playback crashes
I have noticed that anytime I attempt to resume one of my x265 videos, Kodi v18.6 will crash.

I know that v18.7 is out, but I don't know if that issue has been addressed in the new version.

https://pastebin.com/E0RsipFC

Aside: My log files are HUGE! I cannot fit the whole thing in a single Paste Bin. Where in the app do I go to turn detailed logging off?
(2020-07-11, 17:28)jp2code Wrote: My log files are HUGE! I cannot fit the whole thing in a single Paste Bin.
It's okay to cut them into 2, 3 or more pieces.

(2020-07-11, 17:28)jp2code Wrote: Where in the app do I go to turn detailed logging off?
I think that option is actually used for finding errors.
(2020-07-11, 17:28)jp2code Wrote: v18.7 is out
I think nighties are up to 18.8, it's always good to try looking for a fix. Long logs can be split into two pastes if needed (I've never had a length issue when scanning media is turned off, delete the existing log files before firing up) With Kodi operational just do the minimum effort to show the issue, the log should be reasonable at that point.

Looking at the log supplied, a few items to note:

DXVA: Unsupported profile 2 for HEVC variable-length decoder, main.
DXVA: trying 'HEVC variable-length decoder, main10'.

Then we get packet drops. Could be the type of encode or a network issue. Observe the data flow using the OSD displays looking for bottlenecks. Keyboard controls (wiki) I'd be keen to see the exact same file played from a local source (not smbSmile to see if the same issue is apparent.
(2020-07-11, 19:49)PatK Wrote: Could be the type of encode or a network issue. Observe the data flow using the OSD displays looking for bottlenecks. Keyboard controls (wiki) I'd be keen to see the exact same file played from a local source (not smbSmile to see if the same issue is apparent.

I realize I'm opening myself to sounding like an idiot here, but could you explain a little?

How would I find out the type of encode used? And by Kodi or the file that is being resumed later?

All of my media is on the network, but I could copy one over and play from there. Nothing on the local PC is mapped to show up in Kodi.

I can pause these x265 files and resume, but if I stop to watch something else and come back later, it always crashes. I can even fire up Kodi from scratch, scroll to one of these x265 to resume, and it will simply close - no errors, nothing hangs. Just get dumped back to the desktop. The only way I have found to replay the files is to restart the video from the beginning and fast forward to where I was.

What's the best way to trim down the verbiage in the log file? At one point, I was following one of the wiki posts about how to customize a config file. I'm not sure what I picked or didn't. Do I need to find that wiki and delete the config file it talked about or is there a way in the GUI to turn this extra logging Off?
From the GUI, I just went into Settings > System > Logging and turned Off "component-specific logging", "event logging" and "notification event logging". Maybe that will be enough to make my log file more readable.
(2020-07-11, 21:07)jp2code Wrote: How would I find out the type of encode used? And by Kodi or the file that is being resumed later?
MediaInfo (wiki) will tell you all about the file... if some files work well, then the encode of that specific media might be the issue.
(2020-07-11, 21:07)jp2code Wrote: All of my media is on the network, but I could copy one over and play from there.
Yup, that's the idea... create a local source throw problematic media into it, if it plays smoothly, the issue is networking or nas related.
(2020-07-11, 21:07)jp2code Wrote: I can pause these x265 files and resume
Sure nuff, expected behaviour.
(2020-07-11, 21:07)jp2code Wrote: but if I stop to watch something else and come back later, it always crashes
So a resume point is set, then when you re-enter to that resume point it crashes instead of playing? Check this thread.
(2020-07-11, 21:07)jp2code Wrote: simply close - no errors, nothing hangs. Just get dumped back to the desktop.
The last few lines in the Debug log might offer an explanation.
(2020-07-11, 21:11)jp2code Wrote: From the GUI, I just went into Settings > System > Logging and turned Off "component-specific logging", "event logging" and "notification event logging". Maybe that will be enough to make my log file more readable.
Should do.
(2020-07-11, 22:40)PatK Wrote: So a resume point is set, then when you re-enter to that resume point it crashes instead of playing? Check this thread.

OMG! You know what? I'm also running an Intel NUC PC. I can play the x265 files, but not resume. Maybe my drivers are newer than the ones he had back in 2018.
@jp2code

You did not provide a full log, so can't check your hardware. Have a read of the following link...

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/...anguage=en
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yeah Karellen, the log file was too big and wouldn't fit.

So basically it is not a Kodi bug.

Thanks for the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
x265 resume playback crashes0