Parental Controls
Hi everyone

I'm trying hard to get off of Plex but I have two issues with Kodi right now.

For one, the tiles for content are very large so only one and a half lines fit vertically and only 4 and a half tiles fit horizontally. This is both on the FullHD TV and my 1440p PC.

But the more problematic issue: In Plex I had a user for the Kids to which I could add content on a per show/movie basis by manually sharing the content from the primary user.

I do not want to have actual parental controls on a PG rating basis. I want to manually add shows or movies to the kids' user. How do I accomplish that in Kodi?

I do not wish to split the files on the filesystem level. Like at all. That would mean each time I add a show or movie to the kids' folder, I'd have to clean up the previous associations because, well, the files are suddenly not where they used to be.

So I would like to know what the easiest way to accomplish this is.

Thank you.
(2020-07-13, 10:23)Marco2G Wrote: tiles for content are very large
Try another skin, many come to mind. suggest: Skins (wiki) keep in mind most skins allow different start-up windows.
(2020-07-13, 10:23)Marco2G Wrote: manually add shows or movies to the kids' use
I would have suggested something like nodes or smart playlists based on the path rule; but given "split the files on the filesystem level" I would change that to using Video library tags (wiki) and augment that with manageTags for easy context menu additions; then create a node of the tags and throw that up on the front page. There's more ways to skin this, but these come to mind atm.
(2020-07-13, 16:52)PatK Wrote:
(2020-07-13, 10:23)Marco2G Wrote: tiles for content are very large
Try another skin, many come to mind. suggest: Skins (wiki) keep in mind most skins allow different start-up windows.
(2020-07-13, 10:23)Marco2G Wrote: manually add shows or movies to the kids' use
I would have suggested something like nodes or smart playlists based on the path rule; but given "split the files on the filesystem level" I would change that to using Video library tags (wiki) and augment that with manageTags for easy context menu additions; then create a node of the tags and throw that up on the front page. There's more ways to skin this, but these come to mind atm.
Thank you, I have found that the Rapier Skin is pretty usable for me. I was able to create Tags and a different Profile, although I now realize that I probably should have created the tags in the actual Kids' profile Smile

One Issue I'm having: When trying to set a skin for the kids, I cannot download the ones I've already downloaded in the master profile. Is that a known issue?
To be more precise, the skins are neither listed in the direct selection of locally available skin nor are they in the list when I click "Get more"
(2020-07-14, 12:08)Marco2G Wrote: To be more precise, the skins are neither listed in the direct selection of locally available skin nor are they in the list when I click "Get more"

Never mind, found the solution
Okay, I think I'm getting the gist of it.

However there is one issue: How do I make it so that in the children's profile only the smart playlist is available? Andd since tags are on a per profile basis, how do I add or remove tags once I successfully removed non-tagged items from view?
Once again, never mind.

The Rapier Skin, in its settings, provides the means to hide categories like movies and create one's own.

Thank you, I'll be setting this up on my mediacenter now. I think this might do the trick. Much obliged for the pointers!
(2020-07-14, 12:31)Marco2G Wrote: how do I add or remove tags
I point out manageTags add-on, which places tags in the context menu. I might have approached this quit differently with two portable installations, one for the kids limiting sources and one for general usage and customize to your hearts content. But it sounds like you have a working solution that you're happy with, further customization of the skin should be handled in the Rapier Skin forum. Add-on:Rapier (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Parental Controls0