XBOX HD Question
So far I am loving XBMC, and I would like to utilize the HD capabilities it has to offer. I have read the forums and Wikis, so I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered elsewhere.

I am dumb and got so excited about installing the UnleashX dash that I apparently did things out of order. I didn't get the component cable until AFTER I installed UnleashX.

In order to see the 720P resolution option do I need to:

1. Reinstall the Xbox dash and change the output to 720P so it will be saved in eeprom?

2. Reinstall the UnleashX dash and XBMC and change the resolution there?

3. If I do this, when I play DVDs as .iso files from my NAS, will the Xbox attempt to upscale them to 720P, or are only games and the XBMC menus going to be in 720P?

Thanks in advance, I have the Xbox hooked up to a Samsung 42" DLP.
How is your Xbox modded? Many softmod packages install a "virtual EEPROM" protection, which will prevent you from writing changes to the EEPROM. This has NOTHING to do with UnleashX at all.
-If you don't have a softmod, just make sure you're running the most recent XBMC and you'll be able to enable the HD modes in Settings > System > Video Hardware.
-Also, you do not need UnleashX to make changes to the EEPROM, XBMC can do it directly.
-in XBMC everything is upscaled to whatever resolution you are using, unless you specifically tell it otherwise. In your case if you're only enabling 720P then everything will be displayed @ 720P and look super nice (thats what I use)
Catchy Signature Here
SleepyP Wrote:How is your Xbox modded? Many softmod packages install a "virtual EEPROM" protection, which will prevent you from writing changes to the EEPROM. This has NOTHING to do with UnleashX at all.
-If you don't have a softmod, just make sure you're running the most recent XBMC and you'll be able to enable the HD modes in Settings > System > Video Hardware.
-Also, you do not need UnleashX to make changes to the EEPROM, XBMC can do it directly.
-in XBMC everything is upscaled to whatever resolution you are using, unless you specifically tell it otherwise. In your case if you're only enabling 720P then everything will be displayed @ 720P and look super nice (thats what I use)

Thanks a lot. I appeciate the response. I will give that a shot.
I thought you had to change the resolution in m$ dash first? I take it you have also got an NTSC box. I had a pal one so had to change it to NTSC first then go to ms dash and enable 720p and 1080i in video settings then enable it in xbmc. My memory is a bit fizzy though:-)
I just set up a softmod of my xbox and did the same as the original poster. I was using a SD tv while installing the softmod and unleashx. Now, i am unable to go to the original dash and change the video settings. they just don't take and are gone when I look again after reboot. I get it that the virtual eeprom is in the way. How do I disable the bugger? Can I reboot into the xbox avoiding unleashx? Is there any way around this? 12 hours later and i want to go out and buy an appletv! Arrrrgh!
Scoured around and figured out the Virtual EEPROM solution. You have to place an empty file called EEPROM_off.bin in the E:/ drive. Reboot and the virtual eeprom is now disabled. I was in glorious 16:9 HD !! Yippee!
pat4040 Wrote:Scoured around and figured out the Virtual EEPROM solution. You have to place an empty file called EEPROM_off.bin in the E:/ drive. Reboot and the virtual eeprom is now disabled. I was in glorious 16:9 HD !! Yippee!

Part of my problem is the same as yours. When I softmodded using UnleashX and setup XBMC as an application, I was connected to an old tube TV using RCA cables. Now I'm connected to my widescreen TV using the component cables and I cannot enable any of the HD options because the controls are disabled.

Does this describe your situation before your fix? I don't wanna mess up my brand new hacked XBOX, so wanted to confirm before giving it a shot. What do you mean by "empty EEPROM_off.bin" file? Open file in notepad and save it with nothing typed, then rename file fo EEPROM_off.bin? Or need to create file some other way?

Finally, assuming this works for me, should I then go and get rid of this file, or?

Thanks much

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBOX HD Question1