Media Stubs, TV shows on disc + Kodi's library?
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if its possible to use Media Stubs to add tv shows you own on Bluray or DVD to your library?

Tiny Media Manager only seems to be setup to create offline media for movies and I was curious what would happen if I were to try and setup a TV show.  Would it be able to create all the necessary files for all the seasons/episodes (there is no season option in TMM for offline files which is why im asking)?

Has anyone done this, i'm just curious how it dealt with multiple episodes on discs?
How does it know to set resume times and watched statuses for the episode you are actually watching?

Or does it not work at all? TV seems to be an afterthought with respect to Kodi's library so i imagine it doesn't actually work at all, i had to build my own work around to get playing bluray movies to directly correspond to library items so it wouldn't surprise me if this is something which only works properly for movies.
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: I was wondering if anyone can tell me if its possible to use Media Stubs to add tv shows you own on Bluray or DVD to your library?
Yes, read here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs

(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: Would it be able to create all the necessary files for all the seasons/episodes (there is no season option in TMM for offline files which is why im asking)?
If you mean can Kodi setup your stub files, then no. You create them, name them correctly and scrape them into the library.

(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: Has anyone done this, i'm just curious how it dealt with multiple episodes on discs?
Many moons ago I did. Multiple episodes use a special naming technique shown here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...i-Episodes

(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: How does it know to set resume times and watched statuses for the episode you are actually watching?
IIRC it does not set resume times, but does set watched status.

(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: TV seems to be an afterthought with respect to Kodi's library so i imagine it doesn't actually work at all
Why would you say that. It is not true at all. If you have needed to build a workaround, then you have done something wrong. But if you are expecting Kodi to magically know the contents of DVD's and Blurays, well that will never happen. How could it?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-07-21, 11:31)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: I was wondering if anyone can tell me if its possible to use Media Stubs to add tv shows you own on Bluray or DVD to your library?
Yes, read here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: Would it be able to create all the necessary files for all the seasons/episodes (there is no season option in TMM for offline files which is why im asking)?
If you mean can Kodi setup your stub files, then no. You create them, name them correctly and scrape them into the library.
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: Has anyone done this, i'm just curious how it dealt with multiple episodes on discs?
Many moons ago I did. Multiple episodes use a special naming technique shown here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...i-Episodes
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: How does it know to set resume times and watched statuses for the episode you are actually watching?
IIRC it does not set resume times, but does set watched status.
(2020-07-21, 10:58)henryjfry Wrote: TV seems to be an afterthought with respect to Kodi's library so i imagine it doesn't actually work at all
Why would you say that. It is not true at all. If you have needed to build a workaround, then you have done something wrong. But if you are expecting Kodi to magically know the contents of DVD's and Blurays, well that will never happen. How could it?

Well I setup a bunch of movies on Bluray and when I click "play" on the popup nothing happens, but it can play Blurays automatically if that option is enabled so its not like Kodi cant play the disc.
However DVD's will play automatically and work with the PlayDVD command but when it starts playing after I click on a DVD stub Kodi doesnt pass this information with the playing disc (the playing video shows no DBID), so I had to build something to create a listitem and then play it before it would register that i'm actually watching the movie i clicked on.
And i have now modified the "DialogConfirm.xml" file so my script runs when i try to play a disc.

My comments about TV being an afterthought are mostly based around my experience of trying to do stuff with TV and having to build all sorts of nasty workarounds (like having to manually generate a smart playlist of next episodes using SQL queries rather than having filtering options to produce a list of the next episodes to watch straight from the library, i really shouldnt need to build addons to do this stuff).
Even the naming schemes for TV are difficult to work with (like not being able to scrape showname, episode, season straight from the file name but instead from the folder structure, i don't much like the kodi naming convention and never got why kodi has not been improved over the years to allow more flexibility in TV naming similar to how the media organiser programmes can cope with just filenames).

"Many moons ago I did. Multiple episodes use a special naming technique shown here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...i-Episodes"

Yeah that sounds like a ball ache (and an afterthought with regard to TV).

Dont get me wrong, kodi is great but its TV support is definitely less capable than its movie support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Stubs, TV shows on disc + Kodi's library?0