Solved Screen flickers like crazy when kodi is fullscreen on screen#2 and a program is on #1
(2020-07-29, 19:52)PatK Wrote:
(2020-07-29, 07:38)snyft Wrote: LG tv HDR? 
I only wish I had this trouble... no just 8 bit.
(2020-07-29, 07:38)snyft Wrote: windowed mode works!
I figured it might, the issue only happens when Kodi sets-up a new screen. I don't think this is a graphic memory issue, but do you get this problem if ONLY the TV is up? I'm starting to think deeper into the graphic card and it's ability to throw up two large displays. Cables might impact the bandwidth but doubt it has much less to do with this issue. Are you using GeForce Experience? Now that you have better cables, I would be looking at the jogal post #4 (author of those custom patches for 4K HDR)

I see mention of flicker issues on the card in some Nvidia forums with suggestions:

Download the 442.74 Driver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/44...l-whql.exe Download DDU 18.0.2.6 or Newer: http://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/displ...6-released

But it would seem a backward step; how did sans AVR work out?

I don't get this issue on any kodi before hdr patch no matter what.
I don't get this issue with hdr kodi versions if I have the tv area/screen selected/active or programs non fullscreen in Windows.

No geforce experience and no physx.

I was thinking HDR not available on my dvi monitor could somehow be a culprit but I disabled it in kodi and windows so I don't know.
Even if I disable hdr in kodi and Windows it still bugs out though.

Will try that driver.
Edit: DDU and installed 442.72 driver, did not help Sad

I have not tried without the avr since my problem is on my dvi monitor which is not connected to avr.
It is not inside or on the TV that is affected its my browsing monitor.
(2020-07-29, 20:32)Shoter Wrote: I had the same problem - it is the problem of the Windows compilation itself and the screen refresh / poor resource management error. It can be solved in this way - increase the priority of the process - from normal to "above normal" (never real time). The downside is that you have to do this every time you run kodi. ( my problem https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355684 )

Tried this and it did not fix the flickering.
(2020-07-29, 00:51)snyft Wrote: Works fine with Nightly before the HDR merge (KodiSetup-20200626-e64b3034-master-x64)
If you still have this possibility, stick with it until the dust settles or we get some direction.
(2020-07-29, 20:32)Shoter Wrote: I had the same problem - it is the problem of the Windows compilation itself and the screen refresh / poor resource management error. It can be solved in this way - increase the priority of the process - from normal to "above normal" (never real time). The downside is that you have to do this every time you run kodi. ( my problem https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355684 )

I have the same problem as OP, this solution does not solve it. My setup is simple.

2080ti. HDMI direct to TV. Sony 4K (set to 1080p, 60Hz) as I use it for desktop stuff. Makes no difference if you set it to native 4k.
The monitor is DVI. ASUS Ultrawide (3440x1440 120Hz) (gsync on/off doesn't matter)
Audio is via a wireless headset (not to disturb others)
Windows 10 May 2004 Update (fresh install)
Changing settings in Kodi/fresh install doesn't change anything.
Kodi 4.0.3
Nvidia 451.77 (been through 2 or 3 drivers)

I don't really use the PC while I have Kodi running, so hasn't been a big issue for me.
Thanks for detailed info.

I will try to reproduce it although seems exclusive to Windows 10 2004 and possibly it will go with Windows 10 20H2.
(2020-07-30, 14:21)p1xel8ted Wrote:

I have the same problem as OP, this solution does not solve it. My setup is simple.

2080ti. HDMI direct to TV. Sony 4K (set to 1080p, 60Hz) as I use it for desktop stuff. Makes no difference if you set it to native 4k.
The monitor is DVI. ASUS Ultrawide (3440x1440 120Hz) (gsync on/off doesn't matter)
Kodi 4.0.3

I don't really use the PC while I have Kodi running, so hasn't been a big issue for me.

I think you use DP on your monitor? DVI can't handle 4k60 or 4k120 if I remember.
I also have Sony TV though XG950 to be precise hm. Maybe it's the 2004 update.
Test build based on v4.0.3:

KodiSetup-20200730-7a9db63d-fix-multi-monitor-v4.0.3-x64.exe

On my system only can reproduce if set two monitors at different refresh rates and not always altrought my system is little different: TV by HDMI and main monitor by DP

TV by default is at 60.00 Hz but monitor at 59.94. If I set monitor to 60.00 Hz issue seems gone.

It also seems that the problem only occurs with DX feature level 12_0 or 12_1 and the workaround for now is to disable it only when there is more than one monitor....
(2020-07-30, 21:03)jogal Wrote: Test build based on v4.0.3:

On my system only can reproduce if set two monitors at different refresh rates and not always altrought my system is little different: TV by HDMI and main monitor by DP

TV by default is at 60.00 Hz but monitor at 59.94. If I set monitor to 60.00 Hz issue seems gone.

It also seems that the problem only occurs with DX feature level 12_0 or 12_1 and the workaround for now is to disable it only when there is more than one monitor....
Awesome work! That fixed it!
Weird that my both screens were at 60hz when it happened.
What does it mean not using DX feature level 12_0 or 12_1? Will some options/settings not be available?
(2020-07-30, 21:26)snyft Wrote: ill some options/settings not be available?

Nop really for video playing DX level 11_1 has full features. 12_0 and 12_1 only are enabled because Windows 10 supports it...
Thread marked solved.
(2020-07-30, 21:34)jogal Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 21:26)snyft Wrote: ill some options/settings not be available?

Nop really for video playing DX level 11_1 has full features. 12_0 and 12_1 only are enabled because Windows 10 supports it...

Oh ok. Thanks again for your awesome work!
(2020-07-30, 16:12)snyft Wrote:
(2020-07-30, 14:21)p1xel8ted Wrote:

Kodi 4.0.3

I think you use DP on your monitor? DVI can't handle 4k60 or 4k120 if I remember.
I also have Sony TV though XG950 to be precise hm. Maybe it's the 2004 update.

Sorry yes, DP.
(2020-07-30, 21:03)jogal Wrote: Test build based on v4.0.3:

Thanks Jogal!
I've had flickering issues since upgrading to Windows 10 2004 also, but I only have a single screen. It happens if I alt+tab out of Kodi while it's full screen. If I hit \ to switch to window mode first, then alt+tab it's fine. But alt+tab while full screen causes flickering, looks just like the video that was posted. After seeing that your changes for 4.1.0 changed DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD to DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL if there is multiple monitors, I recompiled Kodi to use DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL and now my flickering has gone away. I'm not sure what changed in Windows 10 2004 that causes DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD to flicker, but I had no issues alt+tabbing out of Kodi with previous versions of Windows 10. I've tested with hardware accelerated GPU scheduling enabled and disabled, doesn't make a difference either.

Not sure what the best course of action is. Maybe checking for Windows 10 2004 and using SEQUENTIAL and use DISCARD for Windows 10 versions lower than that? I'm not sure how far you want to dig into the issue to see what's different in 2004 that causes issues with DISCARD.
DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD improves performance: is needed by 4K HDR 60 fps on some systems as Intel NUC8i3BEK. Without this, some frame drops occurs (continuously).

On the other hand this is probably a bug of Windows 10 2004 exclusive and will go away on next Windows 10 20H2 or with future NVIDIA drivers.

I honestly do not think it is very common to have Kodi on a single monitor but in the background or use ALT-TAB habitually. Kodi is an application to use mostly in full screen.

For this reason I have solved it only for the case of two monitors (where it makes more sense to use them at the same time). It is also the case that systems with two monitors are usually more powerful desktop PCs (dedicated NVIDIA graphics) and are not affected by the loss of performance playing 4K HDR 60 fps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen flickers like crazy when kodi is fullscreen on screen#2 and a program is on #10