Android Sony 2020 TV lineup SoC
Hello people,

Does anybody own any of the 2020/H Series Sony Android TVs? I would be really helpful if you could share the SoC on your model. It will help everyone in making a decision on what TV to buy.

Thank you!
2020 Sony’s SoC in virtually all 2020 models from X8000’s series upwards inc. OLED’s: (UR3)
2.5GB RAM, MediaTek MT5893, Quad Core A73 CPU clocked @1.5GHz, ARM-Mali G71 GPU

The exception is the HDMI 2.1 equipped Z8H & X9000H: (VH1)
3 GB RAM, MediaTek MT5895 Quad Core A73 CPU clocked @1.8GHz, ARM-Mali G52 GPU

The Z8H and the gaming oriented X900H have the most powerful SoC’s in - ANY - Smart TV for running a really snappy Android TV (Pie) OS. Smile

(2020-07-30, 15:17)wrxtasy Wrote: 2020 Sony’s SoC in virtually all 2020 models from X8000’s series upwards inc. OLED’s: (UR3)
2.5GB RAM, MediaTek MT5893, Quad Core A53 CPU clocked @1.5GHz, ARM-Mali G71 GPU

The exception is the HDMI 2.1 equipped Z8H & X9000H: (VH1)
3 GB RAM, MediaTek MT5895 Quad Core A53 CPU clocked @1.8GHz, ARM-Mali G52 GPU

The Z8H and the gaming oriented X900H have the most powerful SoC’s in - ANY - Smart TV for running a really snappy Android TV (Pie) OS. Smile

Good to know - looking to replace my 49XF9005 with a larger XH9005 in the coming weeks. (I think I'm going to stick with FALD rather than switching to OLED due to room brightness, but we can finally move to a larger screen size)
Edit to the above the 2020 Sony’s are packing a Quad Core A73 CPU package.

Thank you! It really helps. I also found something interesting on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments...dium=web2x
(2020-07-31, 08:19)lucassp Wrote: Thank you! It really helps. I also found something interesting on reddit:

That reddit thread reinforces the X900H status as likely to be the PS5 Partner display (4K/120 being an important factor)

AIUI the X900H may be better specified in this regard than the more expensive X950H?
(2020-07-31, 16:04)noggin Wrote:
(2020-07-31, 08:19)lucassp Wrote: Thank you! It really helps. I also found something interesting on reddit:

That reddit thread reinforces the X900H status as likely to be the PS5 Partner display (4K/120 being an important factor)

AIUI the X900H may be better specified in this regard than the more expensive X950H?

Yes, hardware wise it's better, latency wise it's better, but I'm not sure about the postprocessing capabilities of MediaTek chips vs the Sony X1 Ultimate.
(2020-08-03, 10:34)lucassp Wrote:
(2020-07-31, 16:04)noggin Wrote:

Yes, hardware wise it's better, latency wise it's better, but I'm not sure about the postprocessing capabilities of MediaTek chips vs the Sony X1 Ultimate.

I switch off all the post-processing options in general so that may not be a huge issue for me personally.  First thing I do usually is disable or switch off Reality Creation, MotionFlow, Smooth Graduation, Noise Reduction, Live Colour, Contrast Enhancement etc., and I set sharpness to do nothing.  I want to see as clean and neutral a picture displayed as I can, so it is as close as possible to the picture seen in an edit suite or a control room. (I work in Broadcast TV and none of our broadcast monitors have any of that processing stuff - just decent calibration options).
(2020-08-03, 10:45)noggin Wrote:
(2020-08-03, 10:34)lucassp Wrote:
(2020-07-31, 16:04)noggin Wrote: That reddit thread reinforces the X900H status as likely to be the PS5 Partner display (4K/120 being an important factor)

I switch off all the post-processing options in general so that may not be a huge issue for me personally.  First thing I do usually is disable or switch off Reality Creation, MotionFlow, Smooth Graduation, Noise Reduction, Live Colour, Contrast Enhancement etc., and I set sharpness to do nothing.  I want to see as clean and neutral a picture displayed as I can, so it is as close as possible to the picture seen in an edit suite or a control room. (I work in Broadcast TV and none of our broadcast monitors have any of that processing stuff - just decent calibration options).
I don't know all the post-processing involved in Broadcast TV, but there's one thing that's really bothering me and it's dependent on various implementations: deinterlacing of HDTV 1080i content. The MediaTek one can't be that bad versus the Sony one.
The 2019-2020 Sony Line-up uses a variety of SoC + co-processor options.

• MediaTek MT5891 (BRAVIA 4K GB/BRAVIA 4K GB ATV3 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.1 GHz) - Geekbench - X800G
  • Realtek RTD2873 (BRAVIA VU1 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A55 @ 1.6 GHz) - Geekbench - X750H
  • MediaTek MT5891 (BRAVIA 4K GB/BRAVIA 4K GB ATV3 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.1 GHz) + Sony X1 Extreme image co-processor - Geekbench - A8G
  • MediaTek MT5893 (BRAVIA UR2 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1.5 GHz) + Sony X1 HDR image co-processor - Geekbench - X850G, X800H
  • MediaTek MT5893 (BRAVIA UR2/BRAVIA UR3 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1.5 GHz) + Sony X1 Ultimate image co-processor - Geekbench - X950G, A9G, X950H, A8H
  • MediaTek MT5893 (BRAVIA UR2/BRAVIA UR3 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1.5 GHz) + Sony X1 Ultimate image co-processor + Sony 8K image co-processor - Geekbench - Z9G, Z8H
  • MediaTek MT5895 (BRAVIA VH1 - 4 x ARM Cortex-A73 @ 1.8 GHz) - Geekbench - X900H

No 2020 models run the now outdated MT5891 SoC.  It is noticeably slower than the Realtek and MediaTek SoC's that replaced it. 

Sony TV's equipped with the MT5893 SoC all have a separate dedicated X1 series image co-processor to handle the upscaling, motion processing, de-interlacing and HDR processing - a benefit in that the primary SoC doesn't have to handle those additional image processing operations and can focus on other OS related tasks.  The 8K models with the MT5893 also have an additional dedicated 8K image co-processor to handle their single 48Gbps input and the 8K panel upscaling - these 8K TV's do not have full HDMI 2.1 support just a 48Gbps input for 8K/60 and 4K/120 support but no VRR, ALLM, QFT or any other advanced HDMI 2.1 features. 

The MT5895 is the fastest SoC in the lineup but is only found in the X900H at this time and it does not have any additional image co-processors meaning that all upscaling, motion processing, de-interlacing and HDR processing operations must be handled by the primary SoC instead of being handed off to a dedicated processor.  The MT5895 is however the only fully HDMI 2.1 compliant SoC in any Sony TV and, when the firmware is released, will support all of HDMI 2.1's advanced features (with the possible exception of HDR10+ support).
TV: Sony XBR-65X950G  A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H (Atmos 5.2.4)  UHD: Panasonic DP-UB820  BD: Sony BDP-S6200 (Region Free)
Media Players: 2019 Nvidia SHIELD TV Pro, 2015 Nvidia SHIELD TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max, S905X3 CoreELEC Device
Hi!
Just a quick question!

The MT5895 is the fastest SoC in the lineup

Does this mean it's possible to install and run smoothly KODI in the X900H? I've been planning to change the TV (comparing X900H with Q80T at the moment), and the possibility to do everything with the TV OS is attracting... (at the moment I use a Nvidia Shield 2017)
(2020-09-02, 18:30)djoole Wrote: Hi!
Just a quick question!

The MT5895 is the fastest SoC in the lineup

Does this mean it's possible to install and run smoothly KODI in the X900H? I've been planning to change the TV

Define “run Kodi smoothly” ?
Kodi will certainly be snappy and responsive especially on the X900H which packs the same ARM Mali-G52 GPU that the ODROID N2 uses.

However you will run up against restrictions that mean everything the goes thru Kodi will be output at 60Hz on Snart TV’s which run Android TV.
There is no auto Refresh Switching. You have to rely solely on Sony Motion processing which is about the best in the business for TV usage.
No HD audio output either, and there is no Gigabit LAN if you need to playback high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips.

The majority of Motion & all Picture processing will be superior vs a 2017 Shield. HDR10 & DolbyVision superior as well.

If I were buying a new LED 4K Smart Android TV it would be a X900H for Apps and also a Gigabit LAN AMLogic S922X chipset device for running 4K HDR + HD audio Kodi - using the flexible, stable CoreELEC OS.

W.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

There is no auto Refresh Switching.
Eek

No HD audio output either
Oo

there is no Gigabit LAN if you need to playback high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips.
No

Wouaw these 3 limitations are no go for me... Thanks for the info!
Maybe it's time for me to think streaming for 4k/HDR/DV/etc. content, and maybe just kodi for kids stuff lol
(2020-09-02, 20:56)djoole Wrote: Maybe it's time for me to think streaming for 4k/HDR/DV/etc. content, and maybe just kodi for kids stuff lol

Unless you have a really large screen and a top class home theatre audio system or sit really close to the display I doubt you would notice visually or hear aurally much different between Bluray quality content vs reasonable bitrate Amazon Prime or (inbound for Sony via ATV App) Apple iTunes HDR / DolbyVision DD+/Atmos streamed content.

I have a 2019 Panasonic OLED and use Netflix, Prime and Youtube Apps on it all the time because the TV is much better at handling Colorspace switching, Upscaling of all non 4K content, and Motion (especially Youtube) vs any externally connected media player.

The other bonus is it’s a Netflix Recommended TV which wins hands down simply for convenience. approx. 3 seconds TV turn on straight into the App cannot be beaten. You get the same with a bunch 2020 TV’s:
https://devices.netflix.com/en/recommendedtv/2020/

(2020-09-03, 02:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-09-02, 20:56)djoole Wrote: Maybe it's time for me to think streaming for 4k/HDR/DV/etc. content, and maybe just kodi for kids stuff lol

Unless you have a really large screen and a top class home theatre audio system or sit really close to the display I doubt you would notice visually or hear aurally much different between Bluray quality content vs reasonable bitrate Amazon Prime or (inbound for Sony via ATV App) Apple iTunes HDR / DolbyVision DD+/Atmos streamed content.

I have a 2019 Panasonic OLED and use Netflix, Prime and Youtube Apps on it all the time because the TV is much better at handling Colorspace switching, Upscaling of all non 4K content, and Motion (especially Youtube) vs any externally connected media player.

The other bonus is it’s a Netflix Recommended TV which wins hands down simply for convenience. approx. 3 seconds TV turn on straight into the App cannot be beaten. You get the same with a bunch 2020 TV’s:
https://devices.netflix.com/en/recommendedtv/2020/

I don't know about your territory @wrxtasy but the compression artefacts on Amazon Prime UHD content are pretty obvious.  Netflix UHD stuff is better - but even on a 50" display at a reasonable viewing distance - the compression artefacts on the streaming services are noticeable compared to UHD Blu-ray content.

They may not be enough to be objectionable to most people (particularly those used to horribly compressed broadcast TV) - but they are definitely visible to me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony 2020 TV lineup SoC0