Notice of available update
Kodi itself will never auto-update the app. The only things that auto-update (if set to do so) are addons.

The only time when something like that happens is if it is installed via a store (Google Play Store or Windows Store) and in such cases it is the store that updates, not Kodi.

Any update in Kodi for the app itself is always manual, the mentioned addon is only for notification. It may be worth that addon being disabled by default under Raspi OS, but as noted we don't supply this so it's not for us to decide or do. Maybe something for @rascas to consider?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-07-31, 17:07)heysoundude Wrote:
(2020-07-31, 15:36)Jools772 Wrote:
(2020-07-31, 15:29)Klojum Wrote: Debian 10 compiles its own builds of Kodi, so it's up to the Debian/Buster people to release that new version.

Ok fine, but why do I get a notice in the GUI in Kodi of an update when there is none?
This happened to me as well.  It seems there is an official kodi addon called Version Check that does exactly this. Looking in the settings for it, I am glad it isn't set to autoupdate.
I am disabling it and uninstalling it.  Hopefully I never see this notification again.
There is an option in the addon settings to simply disable the notification, that would be a better option than forcefully removing the addon.
Like already said, you can just disable the notification in Version Check addon settings.
This is not the first time people complain about this, I could just disable the addon in the packages, that's something easy to do. But then, I bet that someone will come and complain that his Kodi does not warn about new versions anymore...
I'm not complaining about the lack of a feature. I'm complaining about including a feature in the software that does more harm than good. If there is lack of development resources, then including something that is detrimental should be be first thing to not priotise. Apt has its own update notifications.
(2020-08-01, 12:36)Jools772 Wrote: I'm complaining about including a feature in the software that does more harm than good

In what way does a notification (that you can turn off yourself) do any harm ?  The notification simply means that the team have released an updated version which will be available through your normal update channel in due course.  It does not mean that your package maintainer has already packaged it.  The version in the Ubuntu repository is 18.6 for instance.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-08-01, 13:02)black_eagle Wrote:
(2020-08-01, 12:36)Jools772 Wrote: I'm complaining about including a feature in the software that does more harm than good

In what way does a notification (that you can turn off yourself) do any harm ?  The notification simply means that the team have released an updated version which will be available through your normal update channel in due course.  It does not mean that your package maintainer has already packaged it.  The version in the Ubuntu repository is 18.6 for instance.
Why would someone want a notification about an update and then see that there is none? Of course it bothers.

Oh by the way, you may or may not have mail in your mailbox. This is a note for letting you know. You better go and check your mailbox. In case this note is wrong you are free to destroy it Smile
Some people find the notification useful, you clearly do not. Hence there is an option for you to disable the notification so it won't be displayed in the future.
I simply look at it as an oversight by the Debian people. If they want to release their own builds, fine.
They only need to adapt the "new version" routine to their own update channel.
(2020-08-01, 13:46)Jools772 Wrote:
(2020-08-01, 13:02)black_eagle Wrote:

Why would someone want a notification about an update and then see that there is none? Of course it bothers.

There's the possibility the package maintainer may have not immediately picked up on the fact there's a new update, so assuming the package maintainer is a regular user then it will notify them. For any other users it notifies them that a new release has been made, so if no update package is available for their distro, then they know to go on the forum for the distro to ask when the update will be available.
(2020-07-31, 14:28)Jools772 Wrote: I'm using Kodi 18.7 Git 20200528-2c5354e70a, compiled 2020-06-12

I get a notice that Kodi 18.8 is available, but when I check apt-get update && apt-get upgrade I have no such new update. Why am I getting the notice of an update if there is none?

Using debian 10 (buster) and raspberry 4.

@Jools772 the versioncheck addon offers an option to use apt, could you please check if that's enabled on your end?
with that setting enabled, you should only be notified if there's a newer kodi version available through apt.

just let us know if you experience any oddities with this settings enabled and we can have a look into it.

perhaps it would make sense to have this setting enabled by default on apt based linux distros?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Notice of available update0