Setting files used for thumbnails in advancedsettings.xml
Adding the following to favour thumb.jpg and ignore folder.jpg or set imageres seems to have no affect at all. Easy to recreate - e.g. just set image res to something very low and the original res cover art still shows on lib import.

<musicthumbs>
<remove>folder.jpg</remove>
<add>thumb.jpg</add>
</musicthumbs>

<imageres>200</imageres>

Kodi 18.7.
They both do have an effect, just maybe not what you were expecting.

In v18 and below <musicthumbs> is case sensitive and by default has value "folder.jpg|Folder.jpg|folder.JPG|Folder.JPG|cover.jpg|Cover.jpg|cover.jpeg|thumb.jpg|Thumb.jpg|thumb.JPG|Thumb.JPG";

Hence removing just "folder.jpg" still leaves "Folder.jpg|folder.JPG|Folder.JPG" and your platform may not be case sensitive to file names e.g. Windows, hence will still pick up files called folder.jpg as the thumbnail.
As thumb.jpg is present by default adding it will make no difference, image called folder.jpg will be used first if found.

Note GUI setting is replacing <musicthumbs> in v19 (still WIP) which will not need all the case sensitive variations added.

<imageres> is used when caching thumbnails but not other art types. It is applied when the image is first cached to art that is bigger in both dimensions. Not sure why you don't see it take effect, could be something platform specific.

What are you trying to achieve @"johnb" ?
Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I didn't post it in my example, but I also tried logical OR against folder.jpg and Folder.jpg and p[lacing removing outside the musicthumbs tag. 

Reading the wiki, I was under the impression this should allow me to ignore particular jpgs, but whatever I try I can't get it to explicitly use thumb.jpg.

The reason for wanting to do this is that Folder.jpg is the hi resolution version of my cover art. I want to keep these copies, but I want Kodi to use the low res Thumb.jpg.

This is partly due to the way cover flow works on a skin I'm writing. All covers (have to) get loaded into memory when accessing the cover flow. With the hi res versions Kodi leaps to > 2 GB RAM. If I delete Folder.jpg (so it has no choice but to import Thumb.jpg) RAM drops to <100 MB and everything loads quickly.

If I can just get it to ignore Folder.jpg per the wiki instructions it would solve my problem. I'll try the other permutations, but any other ideas greatly appreciated!
Try

<musicthumbs>
  <remove>folder.jpg|Folder.jpg|folder.JPG|Folder.JPG</remove>
</musicthumbs>

I have not tested, but it should do what you want
(2020-08-08, 08:08)DaveBlake Wrote: Try

<musicthumbs>
  <remove>folder.jpg|Folder.jpg|folder.JPG|Folder.JPG</remove>
</musicthumbs>

I have not tested, but it should do what you want

That worked - thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help