Is this even possible
Hello,  I am new here and am in the process of switching from a cloud media popcorn hour c200 system.  First off we have been happy with the system since 2012, but its obsolete and parts are harder to find as a power supply went out and I had to cannibalize another unit I had to make the main system functional again.

What I have now and would like to do with kodi is have a the library on my nas, many usb drives on my popcorn, and to be able to use the same library on players in several different rooms.  I put all new videos on the server first and use a windows 10pc now to scrape the videos to make sure all is right with just the nas as its much quicker.  The popcorn are only 100mb and very slow to cop and prone to locking up and crashing.  when all is right, I do a full scan and then copy the new library (called jukebox with YAMJ). to the nas and all works well.  I would like to duplicate this same process if at all possible.

hardware

windows 10PC - higher end unit
HP EX495 server/nas - its old but works for this and backing up home pcs on network  also it only uses smb1 as I found that out on a previous connectivity issue I was having.
raspberry PI4 8gb - brand new and using libreelec with kodi
many many USB drives (2,3 and 4tb sizes), most of which are in 4 tower JBOJ towers - nothing special

Is this possible and if so how can I do it?  I am  not the most tech savy  guy, but I can fumble through things.

the main thing I really want it to use the windows pc to do all the scraping and database building.  If I have to copy it somewhere else thats not a problem.

Thank you
Okay, first things first, I think you are posting in the wrong section of the forum. Although one of your systems is a Raspberry Pi, this isn't a Pi question.

I don't really know what the Popcorn hour system does. Therefore it isn't clear to me why you would want to have the USB drives attached to it, rather than in a NAS. How many USB drives do you actually have? Would you be better to upgrade to fewer, larger, drives?

Then, getting to the point of your post, it is possible to run a centralised SQL database for your media. Or you could use something like Ember Media Manager. There are forum threads on here for both cases.
(2020-08-09, 09:45)mcelliott Wrote: Okay, first things first, I think you are posting in the wrong section of the forum. Although one of your systems is a Raspberry Pi, this isn't a Pi question.

I don't really know what the Popcorn hour system does. Therefore it isn't clear to me why you would want to have the USB drives attached to it, rather than in a NAS. How many USB drives do you actually have? Would you be better to upgrade to fewer, larger, drives?

Then, getting to the point of your post, it is possible to run a centralised SQL database for your media. Or you could use something like Ember Media Manager. There are forum threads on here for both cases.

My plan is to use PI4s in each room as the media player so I figured this was the right forum for that.  Thats kinda why I want the centralized library that they all can access with the PC basically the manager of the library.  I have 16 usb drives at the moment along with a 8tb nas
You can certainly run a centralised MySQL (wiki) database for all of the devices.

The problem you may hit given that you're sharing this across OS's, is that if the NAS is mounted differently across them, then it's difficult to get the path in the database to be consistent across devices. For example if you mount the NAS under /media or /mnt on the Pi's, and if you mount it under a drive letter on Windows, then the paths to the files will be different.

It may be worth looking into something like Emby as a centralised db manager, although your NAS may not be able to support that given its age (from our previous discussions).

But to be honest, a Pi4 can scan the library as fast as a decent Windows PC these days, as they both will have gigabit ethernet. So unless you actually want to actively use the PC as a media player/centre, then you may be better just using a shared database exclusively on the Pi's.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
DarrenHill  thank you for the comments

What about this idea.  I use the NAS as a central storage for the database.  I only use the PI4 to place it there and access it and when I add additional PI's they will uses the same location with no storage directly attached (I will call them satellites).

I will use the PC with the same skin, not that I think it matters, to test scrape and when its correct and keep it on the PC separately.  I will then use the main PI4 to rescan and have it stored on the NAS.

A few questions.

With the PI4, is there a limit to the number of USB HDD on it?  I now use a hub with the popcorn and its fine.

for a satellite PI, would a PI3 or PI2 work?  or just stick with with all PI4

With the PI4 database, would an ipad be able to access it and play videos?  Or would I run into the same PC issues?  this is a future option.
USB HDD limit - yes there is one, but offhand I don't know what it is. Normally the limit is powering the things (especially if the HDD don't have their own supplies, although a powered hub there helps too), but there is an absolute limit as well irc. Do a search in your favourite engine of choice for that. But why do you need this if you have a NAS, or is it too small to hold everything?

Pi3 or Pi2, or even Pi Zero will be fine. They will just run slower in terms of GUI and responsiveness. Personally my main lounge Kodi is on a Pi4, but I have a Pi3 upstairs in the bedroom and it does fine too.

For an iPad, I don't know, as i don't have one. But I would expect it to have similar issues again unless the mounting is done with care to make the path identical.

The NAS can hold and serve all the media as you say, it's just where the database(s) are stored and shared. If you have the NAS or one of the Pi's hold the MySQL (wiki) data base for the Pi's and they all share that, with the PC (and iPad) on their own independent databases then all should be OK. You just won't have shared watch statuses and watch points/bookmarks between the Pi's and the other devices.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you again DarrenHill

I have been doing a lot of reading and playing with the pc version for speed and familiarity with kodi.  So far I like it and it seems to have a lot more than I would ever your or want to.  For us, whats important is finding movies fast, grouping in sets, a big one is seeing new videos first and being able to sort through the kids videos and all out home videos.  Most of this seems to be there already and the others I will have to do some tweaking.  As for HDD, all have their own power and yes my NAS is no where near the I need.  Take in mind I have had this system for years and many of my DVD/blue ray collention that I ripped are over the 10gb per video.  One thing that I am hoping to use is 265 encoding as that really reduces the size.  My current system has no support of that.

IS there a good source for  MySQL that someone like me with no programming experience can read or watch videos?  I know there will be a ton but I dont think I am wanting to do anything to complicated.  My biggest fear is having to do something to my NAS.  There is really no support left with it from HP so I am stuck with where it is.  It was an upgraded one with more memory and a faster cpu.  The biggest problem is that it seems to run really hot now when its used to process things.  Just coping and backups seem to be fine though.
Click the link and look at the wiki pages - MySQL (wiki). That will get you started.

One of the Pi4's will happily support the database, if you're running something like LibreElec or OSMC.

Kodi Blog Posts
I am running Libre on the pi4.  Would it be best to save that on the 128gb ultra fast (170mb read) sd or should I get a small ssd for the database?  If I use the PI4 now, will it be easy to add the other rooms to share or will I have to rebuild it?

because this will be tucked in an entertainment center, is it possible to remote access into the PI and get a remote desktop on my PC and do that admin work that way for the media center?
(2020-08-10, 02:54)badbones Wrote: many of my DVD/blue ray collention that I ripped are over the 10gb per video

Wow! There is no wonder that you need a lot of disks. For films in my collection, encoded in h264, I find that about 400 MB/hour of video gives good quality. If you need to re-encode, try Handbrake.

As someone who aims for a minimal system, I would say that you have too many disks and file sizes that are bigger than they need to be. Chances are you can streamline your collection and upgrade your NAS, and fit everything it. If you sell the USB drives, you might even find it pays for itself!
I have been using handbrake lately, but the system I use does not do 265 so the files are usually around 1-1.3gb  I figure with the 265 I should get better quality and hopefully 1/2 the size...I have been slowly doing this but it takes forever and I usually just let it run at night
(2020-08-09, 09:06)badbones Wrote: Hello,  I am new here and am in the process of switching from a cloud media popcorn hour c200 system.  First off we have been happy with the system since 2012, but its obsolete and parts are harder to find as a power supply went out and I had to cannibalize another unit I had to make the main system functional again.

What I have now and would like to do with kodi is have a the library on my nas, many usb drives on my popcorn, and to be able to use the same library on players in several different rooms.  I put all new videos on the server first and use a windows 10pc now to scrape the videos to make sure all is right with just the nas as its much quicker.  The popcorn are only 100mb and very slow to cop and prone to locking up and crashing.  when all is right, I do a full scan and then copy the new library (called jukebox with YAMJ). to the nas and all works well.  I would like to duplicate this same process if at all possible.

hardware

windows 10PC - higher end unit
HP EX495 server/nas - its old but works for this and backing up home pcs on network  also it only uses smb1 as I found that out on a previous connectivity issue I was having.
raspberry PI4 8gb - brand new and using libreelec with kodi
many many USB drives (2,3 and 4tb sizes), most of which are in 4 tower JBOJ towers - nothing special

Is this possible and if so how can I do it?  I am  not the most tech savy  guy, but I can fumble through things.

the main thing I really want it to use the windows pc to do all the scraping and database building.  If I have to copy it somewhere else thats not a problem.

Thank you
I wonder if you are over-complicating this. I use both Pi 4 & Windows versions & have the access the central library on a 8Tb NAS. Kodi is quick to index & there are addons that do this periodically if your systems are always on like mine. Each Kodi instance keeps it's own local database, which doesn't occupy a lot of space. This avoids the complication of running a central SQL database & resolves path name issues on different OS's. Keep it simple!
I probably am over complicating it and honestly thats what I want to avoid.  I am not sure why, but using the PI4 it takes maybe 10 or so seconds to load the library and its just a test one with 144 movies.  On the PC its much much faster.  Once again I must assume I have something checked or unchecked thats causing this slowness.  I am using 128gb ultra fast micro SD card.

My main goal is to duplicate the view I have with my old popcorn and do as little as possible to convert files.  I conservatively have 4500 movies/tv/documentaries so you can see it will be a lot of work.  But once done it will be done!!
(2020-08-20, 10:06)badbones Wrote: I probably am over complicating it and honestly thats what I want to avoid.  I am not sure why, but using the PI4 it takes maybe 10 or so seconds to load the library and its just a test one with 144 movies.  On the PC its much much faster.  Once again I must assume I have something checked or unchecked thats causing this slowness.  I am using 128gb ultra fast micro SD card.

My main goal is to duplicate the view I have with my old popcorn and do as little as possible to convert files.  I conservatively have 4500 movies/tv/documentaries so you can see it will be a lot of work.  But once done it will be done!!
I keep my Pi on all the time. It draws very little power. Bear in mind that it's not "loading the library" at startup. It's just scanning to see if there is anything new. You can disable this in settings if you like. You can browse & run stuff whilst it's scanning. As I said previously, there are addons that scan the library periodically in the background. Remember that all that is stored locally is the metadata & fanart. The content is run from the NAS. Consider always on because you don't have to wait for the Pi to boot up or Kodi to load. Note that you may need to make changes to config.txt on the Pi if you start it or leave it running with the TV off. It's a bit picky on HDMI handshaking. There are several posts about what to do on this forum. If you search my posts I refer to the fixes it because I had a problem with this when I upgraded from a Pi 3B to the Pi 4.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this even possible0