Need a very low power player for my 12v RV
I’ve been using a Raspberry Pi 4 running LibreElec as the KODI box for my 12v camper. I use a buck converter to provide 5v, and a 12v powered hard drive. However, the pair sucks down the amps, which is hard on my battery bank when boondocking. Looking for something that consumes much less power.

What’s the lowest power competent player device out there?

Thanks!!
The RPi is already one of the most efficient devices. The only one I can think of is a RPI 3B+ or even a RPI 2. But that will cut into the overall performance.
You could also replace the HDD with a SSD. That should also shave a bit off the power consumption.
A Pi Zero will work, although you will of course take the performance hit as well plus need to ensure that you have enough USB connections (and adapters) to do what you need (drives, any remotes/dongles etc).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-08-11, 16:47)Klojum Wrote: The RPi is already one of the most efficient devices. The only one I can think of is a RPI 3B+ or even a RPI 2. But that will cut into the overall performance.
You could also replace the HDD with a SSD. That should also shave a bit off the power consumption.

The drive will actually be one of the more difficult parts to replace.  It's an 8TB 3.5" drive.  I can't even find a decent case that will hold both a 3.5" drive and the RPI.   It'll be awhile before 8TB worth of SSD comes with a reasonable cost.

Thanks!
Or, you could use the 8TB as a backup disk, and use a SSD drive on which you copy a set of unwatched videos from time to time.
I know, it's not ideal. But if htpc'ing is your thing, perhaps put an additional solar panel on top of the RV? Wink
(2020-08-11, 16:47)Klojum Wrote: The RPi is already one of the most efficient devices. The only one I can think of is a RPI 3B+ or even a RPI 2. But that will cut into the overall performance.
I disagree.

The SoC the RPi’s use is actually pretty ancient.
The 12nm SoC’s in new AMLogic chipsets are far more power efficient and consequently output less heat in the process.

Personally I would be looking at a S905X3 chipset in an ODROID C4.

(2020-08-12, 03:16)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I would be looking at a S905X3 chipset in an ODROID C4.

Okay, ancient vs new: how many Watts will be used less with the C4 ?
(2020-08-12, 06:30)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-08-12, 03:16)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I would be looking at a S905X3 chipset in an ODROID C4.

Okay, ancient vs new: how many Watts will be used less with the C4 ?

RPi4 vs ODROID C4:
29% less power is certain instances, and up to 87% less when Power OFF
(the Linux based CoreELEC OS would not consume much Power either):

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-c4/

Personally I would be greatly concerned with the OP's power consumption from attached storage, especially if it's 3.5" Mechanical vs SSD / USB3

"The 12nm SoC’s in new AMLogic chipsets are far more power efficient"
yupp, less than 5 watt in full action
get one with 128GB internal menory and put the things you want to watch for the next couple days into the memory.
BUT what do you watch it on?
get an ampmeter and check where your big power users are.
IMAX@Home on the room sized screen since 1989

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a very low power player for my 12v RV0