Linux v2.How to Setup Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Passthrough On Kodi (Linux)
Can somebody make a video for this pretty please? I followed everything but When I click nothing happens.

Completely new to linux.

Any help is appreciated Thank You
(2020-10-13, 21:11)Ak98 Wrote: Can somebody make a video for this pretty please? I followed everything but When I click nothing happens.

Completely new to linux.

Any help is appreciated Thank You
Ak98 - When you say "when I click nothing happens" what are you referring to?

Im thinking you mean when you turn on the pass-thru setting. You have to have the Kodi settings in Expert mode to see the rest of the options.
I made the kodi.sh file and .desktop file.
I don’t know how to proceed from there.
Using uhuntu 20.04 and kodi 18.
Smile 
(2020-10-14, 03:43)Ak98 Wrote: I made the kodi.sh file and .desktop file.

Hi

Unfortunately at the moment i can not edit my own posts on the forum as my reputation is not high enough yet, otherwise i would have added a video guide, i will give you possibly a easier way to trigger kodi 18 and above to use the bash script on ubuntu.

Step 1 = create a custom shortcut on ubuntu using "shortcuts" via the ubuntu settings

Step 2 = create a custom shortcut key for kodi by clicking the + sign

Step 3 = add this line in the command/trigger entry /home/*USER*/*FOLDER PATH*/kodi.sh
Quote:*USER* is your user name and *FOLDER PATH* is the location of the folder you saved your bash script and desktop file

Example how to create a custom shortcut

Now when you press your chosen shortcut key it will directly launch kodi with the parameters you set in your bash script and allow you to set Dolby Atmos DTS - X and any other object hi-definition audio on Linux.

Hope this helps
(2020-09-24, 07:07)demux Wrote:
(2020-09-22, 02:32)streamlove55 Wrote:  

Thank you very much for this guide! This works well for me on a Mint distribution too. Also it solves the problem, when I use to have PulseAudio active, not enabling the passthrough mode when other applications had audio hooks left open.

Your welcome Smile

Was a really time consuming process finding the solution as everything had been changed in ubuntu 20.04 so i decided to script something to just use ALSA instead to save people time and headache Smile,  and the script also closes off any calls to pulse-audio much better this way and it also solved the crackling and static noise when playing Atmos or DTS-X
(2020-10-08, 11:53)RB0135 Wrote: @streamlove55... Wow, just what the doctor ordered. I have run Windows for ages with Kodi, but switched to Linux today just because (I switched a few years ago, then went back. In IT for a long time, so like switching when I get bored... keeps the brain working).

Now, this computer is solely a mediapc.

I would prefer to remove pulseaudio altogether (never will use desktop sounds) and run ALSA from boot. I don't want to run a bash script starting Kodi.

Do you think it is possible to do that? I haven't really looked into yet other than read that is you stop PulseAudio, it will auto restart. Also, if you do remove PulseAudio, ALSA should automatically become default.

Something I will try, but thought if anyone had experience, it would be good to know before hand.

Thanks All.
Rob

If its just solely going to be used as a media centre then there should be no issue removing pulse-audio and using ALSA but if your going to do that then I'd suggest looking at installing Libreelec as it uses ALSA by default and also has other benefits regarding configuration not found in the Linux desktop counterparts and its dedicated solely for kodi, so less system overhead.

Hope this helps Smile
Thank you so much for taking your time and helping me🥰.
It really meant a lot.
Have a great day❤️
(2020-10-14, 05:29)streamlove55 Wrote:
(2020-10-08, 11:53)RB0135 Wrote: @streamlove55... Wow, just what the doctor ordered. I have run Windows for ages with Kodi, but switched to Linux today just because (I switched a few years ago, then went back. In IT for a long time, so like switching when I get bored... keeps the brain working).

Now, this computer is solely a mediapc.

I would prefer to remove pulseaudio altogether (never will use desktop sounds) and run ALSA from boot. I don't want to run a bash script starting Kodi.

Do you think it is possible to do that? I haven't really looked into yet other than read that is you stop PulseAudio, it will auto restart. Also, if you do remove PulseAudio, ALSA should automatically become default.

Something I will try, but thought if anyone had experience, it would be good to know before hand.

Thanks All.
Rob

If its just solely going to be used as a media centre then there should be no issue removing pulse-audio and using ALSA but if your going to do that then I'd suggest looking at installing Libreelec as it uses ALSA by default and also has other benefits regarding configuration not found in the Linux desktop counterparts and its dedicated solely for kodi, so less system overhead.

Hope this helps Smile

Thanks for your reply... The ALSA steps you created here is working perfectly, so I am fine with the "Custom" script to launch Kodi. I found other issues with Kodi on Linux such as Kodi starting faster than the PVR Server on system start, as well as the ir-keytables not keeping its config, so I have been able to add several "startup" options in the script.

I wanted to stay away from Libreelec and others (more hobby fun trying to sort issues out Big Grin )

Rob
Seems like the process mentioned above is expecting Kodi desktop installed. I get the following error message:

./pulse_off.desktop
./pulse_off.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
./pulse_off.desktop: line 5: Kodi: command not found

I f I try running just the first script my itself:

./kodi.sh
Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-gbm not found

BTW there is an error in your desktop coding, you need an = after the Exec.
(2020-10-14, 05:07)streamlove55 Wrote:
(2020-10-14, 03:43)Ak98 Wrote: I made the kodi.sh file and .desktop file.

Hi

Unfortunately at the moment i can not edit my own posts on the forum as my reputation is not high enough yet, otherwise i would have added a video guide, i will give you possibly a easier way to trigger kodi 18 and above to use the bash script on ubuntu.

Step 1 = create a custom shortcut on ubuntu using "shortcuts" via the ubuntu settings

Step 2 = create a custom shortcut key for kodi by clicking the + sign

Step 3 = add this line in the command/trigger entry /home/*USER*/*FOLDER PATH*/kodi.sh
Quote:*USER* is your user name and *FOLDER PATH* is the location of the folder you saved your bash script and desktop file

Example how to create a custom shortcut

Now when you press your chosen shortcut key it will directly launch kodi with the parameters you set in your bash script and allow you to set Dolby Atmos DTS - X and any other object hi-definition audio on Linux.

Hope this helps

followed these steps but nothing happens. Meaning Kodi never launches. Also running Ubuntu 20.04
(2021-01-02, 01:24)mtbdrew Wrote: followed these steps but nothing happens. Meaning Kodi never launches. Also running Ubuntu 20.04

It sounds like you may have inputted something wrong maybe a file path or something etc, but its working on my end and I'm using ubuntu on one of my machines, make sure your file paths are correct and make sure your Kodi desktop file points to the launch script, hopefully its just a minor correction that is needed.

• Check file paths of both the the script file and desktop file
  • Make sure there are no spelling/character symbol mistakes
Here is better way to do this and it is to take that script:
  1. Reduce it to a one liner if you are using pulse then it should be: KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA pasuspender /usr/bin/kodi
  2. Put it in /usr/local/bin as /usr/local/bin/kodi i.e without the .sh extension (make sure its executable and owned by root)
  3. Check whether /usr/local/bin/ has precedence over /usr/bin by using echo $PATH
  4. If it does then you are good otherwise ensure that it is the case
  5. Now when you call kodi the /usr/local/bin/kodi should take precedence and to check for that
  6. Type type -a kodi at the prompt and you should see
        kodi is /usr/local/bin/kodi
        kodi is /usr/bin/kodi

You are good to go then.
OZooHA
(2021-01-07, 04:07)ozooha Wrote: Here is better way to do this and it is to take that script:
  1. Reduce it to a one liner if you are using pulse then it should be: KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA pasuspender /usr/bin/kodi
  2. Put it in /usr/local/bin as /usr/local/bin/kodi i.e without the .sh extension (make sure its executable and owned by root)
  3. Check whether /usr/local/bin/ has precedence over /usr/bin by using echo $PATH
  4. If it does then you are good otherwise ensure that it is the case
  5. Now when you call kodi the /usr/local/bin/kodi should take precedence and to check for that
  6. Type type -a kodi at the prompt and you should see
        kodi is /usr/local/bin/kodi
        kodi is /usr/bin/kodi

You are good to go then.
OZooHA

Hi appreciate the feedback, regarding your suggestion using "pasuspender" as far as I'm aware this no longer works correctly for the ubuntu stack 20.04 and above also it introduces static noise when playing back Atmos or any HD audio format, further if you now try to pause pulse audio it will still have audio hooks in other applications which results in other issues.

Pulse-audio for ubuntu 20.04 and above needs to be fully suspended for Kodi to playback object and HD audio smoothly my script will achieve this, how users choose to implement this is entirely up-to the user but the script posted on this how-to achieves this flawlessly (for now) unless ubuntu decides to change anything again in a future package stack

kind regards
Just noticed this topic! I struggled with the same thing, and came up with my own solution.

Instead of completely suspending pulseaudio, I just select a "dummy" profile for it:
Code:
pactl set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_0a_00.1 off
export KODI_AE_SINK=ALSA
kodi
pactl set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_0a_00.1 output:hdmi-stereo-extra1

This alone didn't work. When changing video refresh rate, I think HDMI output vanishes for a split second, and then reappears. Pulseaudio notices this and autoselects this "new" device..  /etc/pulse/default.pa has this setting which needs to be commented out:

load-module module-switch-on-port-available

Now, I think it actually might have worked with "pasuspender" with the config file change. Didn't bother to check now that it is working. Smile
(2021-01-13, 12:10)Zuikkis Wrote: Instead of completely suspending pulseaudio, I just select a "dummy" profile for it:

Appreciate the feedback, however i think this is taking this how-to post off track and going down another road which will introduce its own  problems and also confuse users.

The script on this how-to works flawlessly for now (or until ubuntu change their package stack) the script is very easy to implement if the instructions are followed and best of all it works over multiple distributions and frameworks without making any permanent changes to a users system.

My humble advice would be to completely suspend pulse-audio on any ubuntu 20.04 and newer distribution package stacks as it doesn't work correctly with object and high definition audio at the moment (my script will achieve this) and also i have found all my hardware (AV receiver, TV, streamers, Players etc) works smoothly with the script i created and allows kodi to pass-through the audio information without issue, and the script also solves other issues which are related to pulse-audio being active while using kodi.

kind regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v2.How to Setup Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Passthrough On Kodi (Linux)0