Looking for some help setting up addon script to work in Kodi
I have over 1500 legitimately acquired movies, that I recently added to Kodi.  Given that I have 3 young kids , I have been using the Common Sense Media site to validate that a movie in my system is appropriate for them. I have come across what appear to be an effort to put something like this together as part of a repo that must not be named but the add-on was called "Suitability". As far as I am able to tell the script for the add-on is packaged and ready to be installed. I have searched around the web and there appears to be a few others that would really appreciate having this add-on brought  back to life. I am not a programmer by any means, but I am willing to learn new things and help get this added to a repo. I am not sure if I am able to paste the github link here, but  will share with those interested in taking a look at this.
Thread moved to addon development.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Since we're sort of talking about banned things, I'm going to preface this by saying that everything here is from me personally, not me as a member of the Kodi team.  I don't think we're going to get into any gray areas, but I just want to be clear about that.

The addon in question doesn't appear to be on the banned list of addons, and my initial run through the code didn't raise any red flags in terms of accessing infringing content.  It does appear that the original author elected to distribute it via a banned repo though.  With all that said, here's the GitHub site for the addon:

https://github.com/robwebset/script.suitability

I figure if someone is going to get in trouble for posting the link, it can be me.  '-)

With that out the way, the original author has abandoned it, but they did indicate on the GitHub page that someone could take it over and submit it to the Kodi repo.  I can look at taking it over, but I already see some things I really don't like about the current code.  The big one is that it appears to just scrape a set of web pages to parse information.  That is notoriously hard to maintain because if the web site changes even a little then the addon breaks.  It looks like Common Sense Media is the only one with an API for searching reviews, so if I do take this on, that would be the only site used moving forward (assuming they will give me an API key - which I have to apply for).

In the very short term, you should be able to download a zip of the addon from the GitHub site and then install it in Kodi without having to install the banned repo.  This addon won't work in Kodi 19 (the next version of Kodi) though, so that would be a band-aid at best.
(2020-08-17, 21:27)pkscout Wrote: Since we're sort of talking about banned things, I'm going to preface this by saying that everything here is from me personally, not me as a member of the Kodi team.  I don't think we're going to get into any gray areas, but I just want to be clear about that.

The addon in question doesn't appear to be on the banned list of addons, and my initial run through the code didn't raise any red flags in terms of accessing infringing content.  It does appear that the original author elected to distribute it via a banned repo though.  With all that said, here's the GitHub site for the addon:

I figure if someone is going to get in trouble for posting the link, it can be me.  '-)

With that out the way, the original author has abandoned it, but they did indicate on the GitHub page that someone could take it over and submit it to the Kodi repo.  I can look at taking it over, but I already see some things I really don't like about the current code.  The big one is that it appears to just scrape a set of web pages to parse information.  That is notoriously hard to maintain because if the web site changes even a little then the addon breaks.  It looks like Common Sense Media is the only one with an API for searching reviews, so if I do take this on, that would be the only site used moving forward (assuming they will give me an API key - which I have to apply for).

In the very short term, you should be able to download a zip of the addon from the GitHub site and then install it in Kodi without having to install the banned repo.  This addon won't work in Kodi 19 (the next version of Kodi) though, so that would be a band-aid at best.
Hey pkscout,

I really appreciate you looking into this. I was able to use the  master zip to add this functionality to Kodi. Here is my thoughts as since it played with it for a few hours:
  • Common Sense Media and Movie Guide appear to be the most reliable ones
  • access to the add-on is not easy within both TV and Movies. What would be nice it if this could be built into either the TV/movie info scraper or as a filter for my media files
  • limited to confluence and estuary skin, would be nice to use it on any other skins especially Aeon Nox Silvo to name one
  • rating png stars are very cartoonish and could be better. I have already started to get some better ones to add in the media folder
  • Movieguide.org which is one of the components to this add-on does appear to support use of it's API http://api.movieguide.org/
  • Common Sense Media  API documentation https://www.commonsensemedia.org/developers/api
Question:
Why will this add-on not work with Kodi 19?
Can that be changed once we make some of these edits?

pkscout , I am barely a tinkerer, but I am willing to help give life to this add-on because I think it has value to a lot of parents. If you point out what you need help with I can dive in and do my best to support you.
(2020-08-18, 14:42)tkarns24 Wrote: access to the add-on is not easy within both TV and Movies. What would be nice it if this could be built into either the TV/movie info scraper or as a filter for my media files
Adding anything to any of the primary scrapers would be significant time and work and require the Kodi team to find time to work on that, as it would likely require changes to the database to store that info. Given where things are with the Kodi 19 alpha, that isn't likely to happen. So if it happened at all (and I think the chances are small), it wouldn't be until Kodi 20.

Quote:limited to confluence and estuary skin, would be nice to use it on any other skins especially Aeon Nox Silvo to name one
The addon isn't limited to those two skins, but those are the only two skins for which it has a way to modify the skin to show the button in the info screen. That hack probably won't survive anyway, as I'm pretty sure all it's doing is rewriting files in a known location, and that's not good practice. I could rewrite the addon to provide information skins could use for display, but it would be up to skin authors to add that support. I don't think you'll find much interest in that. So moving forward the context menu is probably the best way for this to work with all skins.

Quote:rating png stars are very cartoonish and could be better. I have already started to get some better ones to add in the media folder
That can be addressed at some point.

Quote:Movieguide.org which is one of the components to this add-on does appear to support use of it's API http://api.movieguide.org/
The movieguide API doesn't have any calls for finding a specific movie, just for displaying some predefined lists.

Quote:Question:
Why will this add-on not work with Kodi 19?
Can that be changed once we make some of these edits?
Kodi 19 uses a Python3 engine, whereas all the older versions of Kodi used Python2 (which has been end-of-lifed and isn't supported). So addons have to be updated for this. It shouldn't be a huge deal, but it does need to get done.

The more I've been looking at this, the more I think I might just write a new addon.  I need to look some more at the current code to see if it's going to be faster to update that code or just start from scratch. I'm hoping to have some time late this week to do that.
Hey pkscout, just doing a quick follow up to see if you where still looking to rewrite this add-on and to again offer my limited and not so tech savvy help.
(2020-08-31, 17:38)tkarns24 Wrote: Hey pkscout, just doing a quick follow up to see if you where still looking to rewrite this add-on and to again offer my limited and not so tech savvy help.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Common Sense Media about an API key. I sent them something 10 days ago and haven't heard a peep, so I'm not holding out much hope that this is going to go anywhere.  Without the API key, the only option would be to do screen scrapes like the current addon does, and I'm not going to have time to support that.  Also, I don't think it would be accepted into the main Kodi repo anyway (I've never tried, but I can't imagine that an addon that does screen scraping to get around API restrictions is going to go over very well).
(2020-08-31, 23:50)pkscout Wrote:
(2020-08-31, 17:38)tkarns24 Wrote: Hey pkscout, just doing a quick follow up to see if you where still looking to rewrite this add-on and to again offer my limited and not so tech savvy help.
I'm still waiting to hear back from Common Sense Media about an API key. I sent them something 10 days ago and haven't heard a peep, so I'm not holding out much hope that this is going to go anywhere.  Without the API key, the only option would be to do screen scrapes like the current addon does, and I'm not going to have time to support that.  Also, I don't think it would be accepted into the main Kodi repo anyway (I've never tried, but I can't imagine that an addon that does screen scraping to get around API restrictions is going to go over very well).
Hello!
I just wanted to say that I am very interested by this add-on too.
pkscout do you have any response from the Common Sense Media people?
I have some development skills, so I may be able to help you if you need.
(2020-12-23, 17:32)amais Wrote:
(2020-08-31, 23:50)pkscout Wrote:
Hello!
I just wanted to say that I am very interested by this add-on too.
pkscout do you have any response from the Common Sense Media people?
I have some development skills, so I may be able to help you if you need.
They declined to provide me an API key. At this point I'm not interested in trying and do it with a page scrapper, as those end up being a maintenance nightmare.
(2020-08-17, 21:27)pkscout Wrote: With all that said, here's the GitHub site for the addon:

Please make this happen, its still work on Leia, please just convert it to martix Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for some help setting up addon script to work in Kodi0