Skin Helper Service errors
I'm getting a lot of "Skin Helper Service Error" messages lately. The kodi log says:

Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
Error Contents: No module named metadatautils
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/plugin.py", line 10, in <module>
from resources.lib.plugin_content import PluginContent
File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/resources/lib/plugin_content.py", line 17, in <module>
 from metadatautils import MetadataUtils
ImportError: No module named metadatautils

But I have .kodi/addons/script.module.metadatautils which seems to have been unchanged since Jan 2018

Any ideas appreciated
(2020-08-18, 02:00)HiroProtagonist Wrote: I'm getting a lot of "Skin Helper Service Error" messages lately. The kodi log says:

Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
Error Contents: No module named metadatautils
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/plugin.py", line 10, in <module>
from resources.lib.plugin_content import PluginContent
File "/home/osmc/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/resources/lib/plugin_content.py", line 17, in <module>
 from metadatautils import MetadataUtils
ImportError: No module named metadatautils

But I have .kodi/addons/script.module.metadatautils which seems to have been unchanged since Jan 2018

Any ideas appreciated
Hi @HiroProtagonist ,

Thank you for the report of a problem.  Marcel who is the orginal author of the skin helper script has stepped back from Kodi development and so this is a problem that I have been expecting to see eventually. Bad news is that I can't really do anything about it for current versions of the skin. Really good news is that I am currently trying to finish the next version of the skin that replaces Skin Helper script with Sulafreds Embuary Helper script.

Now to be clear, in some ways Sulafred's script is cleaner and faster than the original Skin Helper script but there are a few things that the script does not support. So in the new version of the skin I have had to remove a couple of features until I find an alternate way to code them. I was kind of hoping to add a big ticket feature or two to the new version but this has not happened as new version has mostly been a huge bug stomp.  Over the years an incredible amount of cruft has built up in the code which has now been removed, hopefully the skin is now a lot quicker and lighter on system resources. I can't give a release date (real soon now
tm) as I am still finding "you're shitting me" code, but hopefully not long now.

Keep an eye on this forum for the release notice.
Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin Helper Service errors0